• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5.5 hours on range to HEAL my swing

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
The last 2 weeks of June and the first 3 weeks of July were good golfing weeks. Nice draw with scores in the low 70s to high 70s.

All fell apart then the last 2 weeks. WHY does these episodes of sucky golf seem to sneak into my game?????? Golf gods plagued me with huge pull hooks, duck hooks, bladed shots, scary directional control (huge pulls or pushes). I just did not have a clue what was going to happen next. High 80's were the resulting scores but felt 100 +. Even my putting left me. The good weeks did not have a 3 putt green in the rounds played. The last two weeks had multiple 3 putts per round. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :real angry: I had/have David Duvalitis.

So went to my local course for a range session. $5 for all you care to hit. New Sxiron balls off of grass. Great deal. Advil not included in the deal. I will be taking some tonight. That was 2 pyramids of balls hit.

Any way I left after 5.5 hours of practice/adjustments. Diagnosis---Simple alignment issues at address--shoulders, hips and hand all disorganized while aligning to target. So I developed a preshot routine to help get lined up to shot.
Also found out if I slow the first 20% of my back swing for my hybrids and woods all is fine. For irons the routine is get aligned, spine angle set then go before I waggle and wiggle out the alignment. Trust the stance. It was hard to break the habit of peeking at the target. We will see it this concept works!!!!

Simple fixes but a ton of experimentation and back to "basics" swing assembly to get there.

Chipping fix was basics also. Just needed to see ball/club contact. I was lifting my head too soon causing me to lift the club head early and resulting ugly bladed chip.

I really wish I could develop a feel and swing that did not require this much attention. These marathon ranges sessions seem to be necessary two or three times a season. I just feel like I'm chasing my tail or perhaps chasing the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow. :prop: I almost get there then......sh*t happens.:wow::real angry:

I will update the course "game " after this healing process. Hope the cure takes.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Glad you've got it mostly sorted, for now. ;) The only times I've hit any range balls this year, at all, were the 25 balls I hit at our two outings. Hate the range otherwise. I go by feel, not mechanical at all with my swing which is the opposite of how I am in most other things. Been playing outstanding golf recently too. Good luck to you sir.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I'm envious mike..I am trying and trying to seek "feel" and eviscerate the technical obsession of my swing. Seeking a perfect swing with an imperfect body does not appear to be the action of a sane person.

As I hit huge hook after huge hook today I was reminded of one of the definitions of insanity. Incessantly repeating an ineffective action and expecting an alternate result. I was merely practicing a "trick" shot. I got very good at cutting the corner of 90* left doglegs.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I'm envious mike..I am trying and try to seek "feel" and eviscerate the technical obsession of my swing. Seeking a perfect swing with an imperfect body does not appear to be the action of a sane person.

As I hit huge hook after huge hook today I was reminded of one of the definitions of insanity. Incessantly repeating an ineffective action and expecting an alternate result. I was merely practicing a "trick" shot. I got very good at cutting the corner of 90* left doglegs.

You can put me down as insane then. 'That shouldn't be a hook/that shouldn't be a block, what the heck is going on???' and do it six more times before I figure out what's wrong.

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Whenever I start hitting "snap hooks", it's because I'm not getting to the left side...............I have to envision "hitting the wall" with my left hip............then I'm okay.........for awhile......LOL.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
The last 2 weeks of June and the first 3 weeks of July were good golfing weeks. Nice draw with scores in the low 70s to high 70s.

All fell apart then the last 2 weeks. WHY does these episodes of sucky golf seem to sneak into my game?????? Golf gods plagued me with huge pull hooks, duck hooks, bladed shots, scary directional control (huge pulls or pushes). I just did not have a clue what was going to happen next. High 80's were the resulting scores but felt 100 +. Even my putting left me. The good weeks did not have a 3 putt green in the rounds played. The last two weeks had multiple 3 putts per round. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. :real angry: I had/have David Duvalitis.

You could take this post and put my name on it and be spot on! Always ends up being something simple like getting off plane or screwing up my takeaway.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
It is amazing how when we are on the course, we can't seem to figure it out. I know I'll do just what you said, keep doing the same swing over and over expecting a different result. The sad thing is, as I make the swings, I know something doesn't feel right, I just can't put my finger on it.

Normally I'll be sitting there watching tv and the proverbial light bulb will go off over my head. I'll grab my PW and make some swings, (thank goodness for cathedral ceilings), and go, Dohhhhhhh!!!!!! Why couldn't I have thought of that before I posted that fugly 95 yesterday?

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I have more trouble working my way backwards from a bad result to the cause. The more I try to fix it, the worse it gets.

Last week, I finally managed to stop caring, and had a much better round as a result.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
It is a lot more frustrating for me now that I am a "good" golfer than when I couldn't play a lick. Then, if I made a par or heaven forbid a birdie, it was awesome. Now, when I get on the bogey train, I start thinking about taking up cheap fishing. You know, just a cane pole and some worms.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
stance, alignment, grip

wow, some big discoveries there ;)

Its all in the basics isn't it? Nearly always is

🔥 Latest posts