• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5 Wood Longer than the 3 Wood? Help?

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Went to the range today, kinda goofing around trying to help my mom learn how to play, and I brought my 5 wood out today, I havent hit it in 3 months or more and it looked so clean I figured I would have to dirty it up a little bit.

Apparently my 5 wood wants in the bag and my 3 wood wants a break...

Today I was hitting my 5 wood More Consistent, Higher, and Further than my 3w Hands down.. They are both Taylor Made 200 Steel with the Exact same shafts, other than a 1/2 or 1 inch length difference.

Why is my 5w longer.. and it looks so much cleaner I am actually considering it, my only thought was like aluminum baseball bats can loose their " pop " after a season, I think my 3w has lost its " pop " Thats the only thing coming to mind. And no the wind wasent Howling that helped it carry further.. it was almost still today, 87 Degrees and Sunny.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I think it would take a lot of shots struck in the center of the face to wear out a club. Maybe cut down your 3 wood to the length of the 5 wood. My 3 wood is 1/2" shorter than standard. Or you could just play the 5 wood.

kwcsports

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2006
I would say, shorter shaft means you are hitting the sweetspot more often and more loft means higher flight and more carry. Alot of people struggle with a 3 wood and don't generate enough club head speed to get a high enough flight. A friend of mine started hitting his 5 wood more and he also is hitting further than his 3 wood. I say the hell with what the number on the bottom is, hit whatever you hit best. Just my opinion though.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I would have said inconsistant strikes but if you are off 4 then there shouldn't be more than 1/10 maybe outside of center on the range once you're warmed up on a level lie. I'd say bring a few extra balls on your next round and hit a few with each, see where they are really going. If the 5W is longer or at least very close, go find a TEE 15*, if you like the 200steel heads, you'll like this one.
icon10.gif

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
Why is my 5w longer.. and it looks so much cleaner I am actually considering it, my only thought was like aluminum baseball bats can loose their " pop " after a season, I think my 3w has lost its " pop " Thats the only thing coming to mind. And no the wind wasent Howling that helped it carry further.. it was almost still today, 87 Degrees and Sunny.

A thin faced titanium driver wears out around 10,000 hits. Various sources say different things, but I've never seen anyone say less than 5,000 hits. Until very recently, the faces on fairway woods were not made anywhere near as thin or as close to the legal coefficient of restitution as drivers were. Today, the fairway woods are at a 0.830 COR or very, very close. However, I don't see how a fairway wood face would wear out faster than a driver face unless it was damaged.

Is there a ding or crack in the face? A good test is to take a straight rigid object, a credit card words great for this, and see how much bulge the face still has. A flattened face is worn out. A bulged face in all likelihood is not.

A steel face would have been made thicker than a titanium face, so I really don't think it is likely that it is worn out. I think that you may have just had an off day, go out on a different day and see if it repeats, maybe even go out two or three more times to see if it is consistent.

It is not impossible that it is deadened, but I would look at everything else first.

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I would have said inconsistant strikes but if you are off 4 then there shouldn't be more than 1/10 maybe outside of center on the range once you're warmed up on a level lie. I'd say bring a few extra balls on your next round and hit a few with each, see where they are really going. If the 5W is longer or at least very close, go find a TEE 15*, if you like the 200steel heads, you'll like this one.
icon10.gif

Find me a Tee 15* Head only for cheap... And Ill take it

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Not bad, But I would just be looking for the head, If I like It I have a shaft to throw in it already, If I really like it Ill spend the money on a Matrix OZIK most likely

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Both of those are the CB1 the newer CB2 might have the X, I didn't look it up. I'll let you in on a little hoing secret, if you buy a club with a decent shaft for say $50, then pull that shaft and sell it for $40, how much did you pay for the head?
icon12.gif

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Put the head for sale over on WRX. Unfortunately you are going to take a beating on the 63g Blueboard. I bought one for $60 as a pull last year.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.