• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5 wood replacement

B

BuckeyeGolf

My next purchase is going to be a replacement for my current five wood. I get the basic premise of hybrid clubs, but beyond that I'm at a loss. I don't know if a new 5 wood is the best thing to get, or a hybrid with similar loft. Then if I decide on the hybrid, there's the issue of whether or not to get a wood-like or iron-like club.
Can anyone just leave any information on hybrids, to aid in my decision? I'm somewhere between a 5 and 10 handicap...also I'm not a very long hitter. Thanks

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Do you have trouble hitting your long irons? If so, invest in a hybrid iron. If not, a 5 wood might be up your alley. A 5 wood is a great asset in your bag, moreso than a 3 wood, as far as I'm concerned.

I just introduced a 3 iron hybrid to my bag with great results. However, I also carry a 7 wood that I love to hit on long par 3's. I can dial it up to about 220 if I need to, but can easily pop it up to 180 if need be. Great club.

The hybrid replaces my 3 iron in distance, but is way more consistent for me in terms of shot making.

Trying to replace a 5 wood with a hybrid might be tough. They're more to replace long irons. Years ago, many people bought 5, 7, 9 and even 11 woods to replace their long irons, as they are so much easier to hit from the fairway and out of longish rough.

Personally, I like having a 5 wood in the bag. More often than not, guys are more apt to pull that from their bag and hit it over a 4 or 3 iron. Hybrids are nice, but they don't hit the ball any farther that the clubs they are designed to replace, just more consistency.

Hope this helps,

R35

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
Actually I do hit the hybrids longer than my 3 or 4 iron. I tried a bunch of hybrids and bought the Hogan. Since then I got the chance to hit the sonartec. Hitting the sonartec was so easy it was like hitting an 8 iron.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well I am a bit strange in that I have both a 5 wood and a hybrid. I do this because I play the same course over and over and have my bag specified for particular holes on the course.

My fairway metals are Sonartec SS-03's - 14 and 19*.
My hybrid is the TM Rescue Mid 22.

From a shaft perspective, there is a very meaningful difference between a five wood and a hybrid. The hybrid has a much shorter and stiffer shaft - to make its feel and performance approximate that of a long iron. My RM has the Aldila NV Hybrid shaft which has great control and truly makes the club feel like an iron...I am delighted with this club and use it in all kinds of "rescue" situations, in addition to 200 yard par 3's.

My five wood has a much more flexible shaft - the Penley Tour Light Regular. I use this club in two particular situations on my course where I need a 220 yard shot.

FWIW - I demoed the Sonartec Md, the Nike CPR and the Hogan hybrids, along with the TM. I did this at the range under the supervision of our Golf Director who helped me make the selection. Although I am a huge fan of Sonartec, I did not feel the club held greens as well as the TM. I very much liked the Hogans with their standard steel shaft. They are the equivalent of a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" at $99 and I strongly recommend you give them an evaluation.

On the sole of my TM there are two numbers 22 (loft) and 4 (iron equivalent). FWIW, there is no way that this club replaces my 4 iron - it goes much farther. A 4 iron for me is about 185-190. I can get 200-210 out of the TMRM.

If you can locate a flat range with good yardage markings, I would get several demo clubs and hit 150 balls to determine which one is best for you.

Good luck with your search and let us know how your evaluation is going.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
mediaguru said:
Actually I do hit the hybrids longer than my 3 or 4 iron. I tried a bunch of hybrids and bought the Hogan. Since then I got the chance to hit the sonartec. Hitting the sonartec was so easy it was like hitting an 8 iron.

If two clubs are both 21*, and you hit them with the same swingspeed and place on the face, they will go relatively the same distance. However, if you're swinging a club like a hybrid which is designed with a lower CG and gets the ball airborne better, the ball will react as tho it is going farther with better results.

The fact that you don't hit your 21* 3 iron as far is purely because you're not hitting it properly, or, more specifically, not as consistent.

The fact that you carry the Hogan Hybrid makes me believe that you have a tough time being consistent with your 3 iron. I'm in the same boat. But, I can hit my 3 iron, not as consistent mind you, but the same distance as any hybrid that i've tried (Hogan, Mizuno, Callaway, ect).

To say that you hit it "farther" is somewhat misleading. You may hit it "better", but not any farther. If you spent 2 months hitting only your 3 iron, you'd end up putting it out there just as far as a hybrid of the same loft.

But who the hell wants to spend 2 months with their 3 iron? ;)

R35

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
I have been going back and forth on wether or not to get a 5wood or hybrid and you guys have gave me some really good insite. Thanks

🔥 Latest posts