• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5-wood shaft weight

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I have a 65g shaft in my driver and an 85g shaft in my hybrid. I'm thinking of reshafting my Nike SQ 5-wood with a stiff flex shaft (it currently has the stock Diamana R-flex but is too erradic with direction).

1)I'm wondering what the standard weight is for a 5-wood (or is there one).
2)Also, how heavy are your 5-wood/4-wood shafts?
3)How about your 3-wood shafts? Do you get a shaft that is heavier for your 3-woods?

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
My 3 wood shaft is 80g and my driver shaft is 77g, I dont carry any 4 or 5 woods so I couldnt tell you about the weight of the shafts.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have gone to steel shafts in all my clubs except the driver. The drivers for pounding it, everything else is for accuracy first and foremost.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
So I'm thinking a 75g for the 3-wood and 5-wood. Is this comon for a 5-wood?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
A lot of people I have seen seem to like 65 driver, 75 3 wood, 85 5 wood.

A nice progression in relation to head weight.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Fairway shafts and Hybrid shafts can go either way as far as I am concerned. Personally, I try to keep the hybrids and fairways matching to my irons shafts (Rifle 5.5). I like to promote consistancy from PW through 5-wood if at all possible. The 3-wood can go either way depending on what your goals are for it. If you primarily use it off the tee, I would go with a lighter 65g driver shaft. If you use it equally off the tee and off the turf I would go into a heavier weight 70-75g shaft. If you use it off the turf almost exclusively, match your hybrid shaft at 85g. Since I use my 3-wood equally, I went with a mid weight graphite and Rifle 5.5 steel in my 5W, 7W and hybrids.

My new fairways (3W and 5W) have the same graphite shaft in them and I am going to test them out a bit before I decided whether or not to reshaft them. If they do not work out, I will probably put a steel Rifle in the 5W to match my hybrids and put a midweight graphite in the 3W to match the set up I had with my previous FW's.

If you primarily will use your fairways off of the tee, going into a lighter 65g shaft may be the way to go to match them up to the feel and weight of your driver.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have (obviously) the same weight in all my woods, driver thru 7 wood. 74g Evolutions.

I honestly can't tell the difference club to club. They all feel the same, and that's what i want.

I did have that 96gram Limey in my 5 wood, and I had no idea that it weighed that much as I played it. I mean, I did, but it never felt like it did.

If I was to suggest, I would say heavier over lighter. But it's all entirely a feel thing. I haven't lost any distance or SS going heavier, as I used to play 62g assuming the lighter = faster SS, but that's not the case.

R35

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i had aldila 65g on my sonartec 3 wood. i'm getting swapped out for steel shaft for experimental purpose. my 5 wood (also sonartec) will also have steel shaft after hitting my 3 wood w/ steel shaft. i really don't need too much of distance, but more accuracy and control since i some times out drive w/ my 3 wood vs. my friends drivers.

i'll let you know how it goes.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have a 65g in my driver, and Steel in all my irons, and 4i/R Baffler. I also own 3 FW's with Steel shafts which are not currently in my bag. I replaced the 5w and 7w with Hybrids with Graphite shafts that are about 85g the middle of last season, and have not used the FW's since that point. I have thought about reshafting my 3w with something in the range of 85g but not likely until mid-season. I think I may start the season with my FW's, which will help me not go overboard on my swing and tempo, which is common for me at the beginning of the season. Then make a decision after 4-5 rounds were to go from there. I am not sure I really get a reliable distance that I would expect from my hybrids.

Something tells me this will be the may battle I face this year. I get 185 on my 4i/R which is one of my most reliable clubs. I can get 210 on a 7w, 225 on a 5w, 240 on my 3w. My 2 halos only buy me about 195-200, and 205-210 right now. So as it stands right now, next to my driver 210 is my top distance, but I score better with this setup. It's been about 6 months since I last used the FW's, so it will be worth seeing how they do now in the beginning. I also play several courses with 210 yard par 3's, so if the wind is in my face this becomes a real issue.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
A lot of people I have seen seem to like 65 driver, 75 3 wood, 85 5 wood.

A nice progression in relation to head weight.

This is the way I was leaning.

I have (obviously) the same weight in all my woods, driver thru 7 wood. 74g Evolutions.

R35

That is an interesting idea as well. I have an 85 in my hybrid but was a little unsure about putting it in my 5 wood. Too bad I don't have a shaft puller, I could just experiment all I wanted.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
If you like steel, I think that one of the light weight steel options would be good; like the new True Temper GS75. Lightweight like graphite, accurate and inexpensive like steel.

🔥 Latest posts