• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

52, Gap Wedge, should I get one?

KB1982

Jun 10, 2005
I currently play with my Nike NDS PW from arond 15-100 yards and just adjust my swing accordingly. I'm not good enough to use my SW or LW and use them at anything more then a pitch shot swing. But with my PW I'm pretty good with sticking the ball close to the hole. I would say that 70% of the time I can get the ball on the green <20 feet to the cup. The times that I use my SW or my LW is when I hit my 2nd or 3rd shot near the green with my approach shot. I believe that the NDS PW has a 46 degree loft. The TM CGB's that I'm eyeing PW's is a 44 I believe (which puts it at like a 9 iron in disguise). I'm wondering if I should pick up a 52 GW since the difference between the CGB PW and my current SW would be 12 degrees. Should I pick one up? Or would it be a waste since I'm pretty accurate with my PW?

Joe

Jun 8, 2005
Lob wedge is the best thing that happened to my short game. I couldn't play with out at least one wedge with a loft of 56 or more. My lob is a 60 degree. The flop shot became my new best friend.

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
I have a 56 sand wedge, I dont have a lob wedge...yet. But anyways I couldnt play without it. Im awesome with it

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I carry 4 wedges. Hit the 56 about 90% of the time. The others are there though cause I do need them from time to time. I'd replace long irons or fairway woods to make the 14 number before pulling out a wedge (case in point I do not carry a 3 iron)

I'd say in order of frequency I hit:

44 (This is my PW from my forged set. I rarely hit this. It's an awkward yardage I don't see too often)

cyberious

Planet Love Tron
Feb 19, 2005
I use a 46, 53, and a 57. I find the 53 is good for a nice crisp swing from say 80-100 yards and the 57 anything shorter than that. I did carry a 61 degree wedge for a while but only used it in certain situations. I find that I have alot more flexibility with the 57 and can adjust my swing with ease for the shorter shots. I'd say a 51-53 degree wedge may help you out. The trick is to learn your range with it well and adjust your approach shots to that range accordingly. That's really the key.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Mizuno make a 53.Check out the loft on your standard wedge first,it can vary between 47 and 50

🔥 Latest posts