• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

54* & 58* wedge setup

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
Who else plays this combo? I am switching to it! I was carrying a 52 & 56 but not using the 52 much? I wanted to have a option for a flop shot so... I went ahead & ordered the 54 degree (Wilson TW9) I like them alot. I am still shopping for a 58 though or maybe a 60??!
Opinions please....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
What is the bounce on the 54*?

My advice would be to learn to hit every shot in the book with the 54*, then look for a 58 or 60*.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
So much depends on the courses you play. My Pings, in the bag, are a 54 degree SW and a 58 degree LW. Our course has small, postage stamp greens. If I have to pitch over a bunker or if I am chipping to a close pin, I love the 58. I can open it up and land the ball very softly. If I am chipping to a pin where I have a lot of green, the LW will check up too quickly. Then, I use the 54 degree SW.
I've played with many who use one club to do all their chipping. Jim's advice on getting familiar with, and confident with, a 54 degree before purchasing the 58 is excellent. It all boils down to confidence and confidence comes from practice. These two wedges have been in my bag for years. They are "old friends". I know the strengths and weaknesses of both... as they know my strengths and weaknesses. By hitting 100's of shots with each, over the years, we face the daily on-course challenges as if they are routine.
For most amateurs who play this game, you can shave more strokes off your score by becoming proficient with putter and wedges that any other clubs in the bag.

Golfanatic

Feb 22, 2012
I am still shopping for a 58 though or maybe a 60??!
Opinions please....
The 60* is great.
I may find one with less than 12* bounce because sometimes its makes a shot really hard to make depending on the lie.
I have a "zero bounce" 68* I bought just for fun for lob shots where I have no wiggle room under the ball.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I carry the 50/54/58 combo. I rarely hit the 58. I only use it when I am going over something and have to stop it right away. I use my 50 90% of the time around the green. I only use the 54 in greenside bunkers.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I love my 54* for full shots, actually 3/4 shots...i rarely make a full swing with wedges. The 54* is strong enough for me to hit a comfortable 100 yards while I used to have to actually swing my old 56*.

My 60* is my bread and butter around the greens. I can play it back in my stance and hit low shots that have some bite for fast greens. Then if I'm short sided I can just play a normal shot and still get the height that I need without getting silly and trying to hit a flop.

This will be my wedge combo for life.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I used to play a 50/54/58 combo with a low bounce for 50-58 and mid-high for the 54. Great combo in my opinion

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Mid-90's, yesterday. Temps set records, here, for not only that date but for the entire month of April. Contractors at another project so I had an opportunity to slip away for a quick round. I hit a course near where I was working that I had not played before. Had a comp pass I hadn't used. Unable to get paired up with anyone at the clubhouse so went out as a single. On the 4th hole, I ran into a 5-some. As soon as I putted out on 3, they hollered for me to play through. Hole 4 was a Par 3, playing about 195 yards. In a hurry and not ever having played this hole, I was pin high but about 7 yards to the left of the small green. Grabbed my LW and putter and headed to the ball. Decided to chip with the lob wedge. Downhill to the pin. Needed to hit a soft lob. Way too agressive. Hurried the swing. Got fast. Almost slid under the ball.... almost!! The ball went straight up, hit about 4" from the pin and stopped deader than a grasshopper on a windshield at 70 mph. As I was thinking, "O crap, I got away with it!" the 5-some started applauding. I picked up the ball, thanked them for allowing me through, and went to the next hole with my chest sticking out about as far as Dolly Parton's!!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I played 48/54/58 last year. I went 48/54/60 this year for a tad more spacing between my gap and my lob. Either way was fine with me, I just found myself wanting a bit more height on some greenside shots once in a while. You can cure that with either loft or a deeper heel grind.

R35

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
enjoying the opinions!

My gap wedge is a 49.5 WS Di9 that came with my iron set(I love it)! Dropping the 52 & 56 and going 54 , 58 or 60 will help me alot. Right now I have no inside 100 yard "go to" club! The 52 I hit a mile no matter what I try and the 56 is usaully short of my target!

keep the opinions coming....

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I have the 54 and 60 setup and it's pretty solid. 54 is a great club. You can still lay it open in the sand, but imho it is a better option for that 100-110 yd shot from the fairway than a 56. I can do it with a 56, but it requires too much effort. The 54 makes it easy to make a nice controlled swing at 85% or so and hit that yardage. I've never hit a 58, but have thought about it as I have a love hate relationship with the 60. I've hit some tour pro type shots with the 60, but it requires much practice to perfect.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Had 51, 56, 60 in the bag until recently, and my short game was disastrous. Three wedges all quite close together in loft was just giving me too many options & causing too much indecision for so many shots round the greens, resulting in me not committing to the shot cause by the time i'm standing over the ball i've already talked myself into it being the wrong shot choice.

Got 54 & 58 a month back or so, and absolutely love them. 54's solid for anything inside 80 yards, and nice for little pitch shots that release and run out to the hole if i've got plenty of green to work with. 58 doesn't get hit on the full ever, but is great for flop shots, tight lies, over bunkers & not a lot of green to work with, stops on a dime.

Genuinely found that my short game has improved 100% just from buying these wedges, without even practicing particularly more than I did before, simply because I know what type of shot each wedge is for, pick the shot confidently & actually commit to it.

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
The 54 showed up saturday. Played with it Sunday! I used it for chip and run type shots and about 75-90 yards out it was money. I think I'm going too pick up a 60 deg TW9 as soon as one is on ebay for the right price. The 54 feels better than the 56 around the green too IMO(less skull jobs). That will be 49.5* GW, 54* SW, 60* LW that should do it!? Is it less bounce the better on a 60* ??

OP
greatdane

greatdane

Feb 16, 2011
Well after thinking to long and to hard about it! I finally went with a 58 deg TW9 ! The advice on this tread was much helpfull! Thanks! It should be in my hands by the weekend & I hope to play a round with it!

🔥 Latest posts