• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

5W or 2H?

Duff

May 5, 2007
In your opinion, what would be the easiest to hit and the most forgiving a 5 wood or a 2 hybrid both around 18*?

I realize there would be some distance loss from the wood to the hybrid, but would the hybrids accuracy offset the difference?

The club would be used off the tee and the fairway. Probably more off the fairway except on long par 3"s.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I find the 2h to be much more versatile, and not that much shorter than a 5 wood. I can hit it from the rough, fairway, or the tee.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I'm interested to hear thoughts on this topic as well as I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with that spot in my bag.

I tried to go 19* hybrid but I've had four different ones and I haven't really gotten along with any of them - I think I'm having trouble getting myself to swing with a steeper iron type swing. I recently picked up a 5W to see how that goes...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I'm, yet, another that says there is no good answer that fits all. In a perfect world, it would seem the shorter length shaft of the hybrid would allow more consistent contact with the center of the clubface. Yet, there are some of us who have not found a hybrid we can tolerate... while others would bare-knuckle brawl to keep someone from extracting they hybrid from their bag.

Personally, I have tried... I'll bet... over a dozen different manufacturers and lofts of hybrids. I just dumped another two... an Adams Pro and a Callaway XHybrid this past week because neither one would work in my hands. One of our regular group carries 2h, 3h, 4h, and 5h hybrids and hits them sweet. The only difference I see that is significant between that person and I is that his standard shot is a fade... mine a draw. He hits a nice, high fade to the greens with his hybrids... I hit the most ugly, snap hooking, left side hunting, ball losing... did I say ugly... hooks with every single hybrid I have tried. The Adams Pro was probably the easiest with which to keep the ball relatively in front of me. Yet, the dastardly hook would creep in at the most unoportune times. I still carry my 3 iron and hit it extremely well. And, I've always had good success with the higher lofted fairway woods. That is not the case with everyone.

Hybrids have been on the market for long enough, there are numerous excellent sticks spending their existence in the used bins. I would highly recommend finding a 2h that looks good to your eye and get it in the bag during the "off" season. Give it a chance to perform and it may be your best friend come Spring. If it has a rather stubborn personality... send it back to it's bin of used buddies and find something that will enhance your bag and your game.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went the route of trying out an older model that I could sell off should I not like it... and I don't like it. Although I did go all the way down to a 16* it seems that I can hit just about every 19* I've tried decently but once I drop that 1* to 18*, I can't hit them at all. I literally hit a dozen shots with the 16* and had one decent one, so I thought, then I pulled out my 5iron and flew it to the same spot.

Anyway, that's my recommendation, pick up a cheaper used model like an Adams A2 or something and try it out first.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
In your opinion, what would be the easiest to hit and the most forgiving a 5 wood or a 2 hybrid both around 18*?

I realize there would be some distance loss from the wood to the hybrid, but would the hybrids accuracy offset the difference?

The club would be used off the tee and the fairway. Probably more off the fairway except on long par 3"s.

I have both a Royal Collection (Sonartec Parent company) 19* 5w and a Hogan CFT TI 21* hybrid, I was in the same spot you are in now. My solution was to dump both and pick up a 17.5* 4 wood, which I have yet to get on the course. I may still end up with a hybrid, something 19* but I dont know yet.

If your interested in either club let me know, $60 shipped for either one....
icon10.gif

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
although I don't exactly have a club for that 5w-2h range, in another spot more generally dominated by FW's (3w), I found I couldn't make consistent contact with FW's, so I tried a low lofted hybrid shafted at FW length and it has worked like an absolute dream for me. going to shorten that club an inch or two in awhile to close down some gaps as I hit it nearly as far as my driver at times!

i know its up to you, but I say hybrid.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.