• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

62nd US Women's Open [spoilers]

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Anyone else suspect another 'withdrawn due to injury' coming on?

Michelle Wie cards a 82 to finish the first day on 11 over. Currently tied 3rd from last, only spared 2nd from last thanks to the Russian golfer Maria Kostina managing to shoot a 10 on the par 4 17th.

Interesting news articles coming out that, as it now stands, if she wants to play on the LPGA Tour next year she may well have to attend Q-School having only earned $3,500 in tournaments this year,

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
"It's very frustrating because I know I played better than this," Wie said. "It's just a very fine line between shooting 69 and shooting when I shot today."

Ya, like 4 of 16 fairways and 13 strokes.

This girl is a joke. I doubt she breaks par this year.

R35

OP
Sandy

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
And if she's no longer the longest driver out of the women, no longer competitive playing with people around her own age, and no longer the youngest player out there, is there anything left for them to market her as?

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
And if she's no longer the longest driver out of the women, no longer competitive playing with people around her own age, and no longer the youngest player out there, is there anything left for them to market her as?

I think Wie still has real earning potential, just maybe not in golf. penthouse and playboy will offer her millions and keep her in the spotlight :)
just wait til she is a 26 year old forgotten nobody

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
I generally don't comment on Michelle Wie, but I think you guys are being too hard on her... although I definitely see where you are coming from.

In my opinion, the real blame with who and what she's become lies with the gallery of idiots that suround her, advise her and sponsor her. If you want to pissed off at someone, cast your anger at them. She's been molded into exactly what they all want her to be, not necessarily who she wants to be.

I think they've turned a basically good kid with awesome golf talent into a "Nike-sponsored-dog-and-pony-show-soon-to-be-paris-hilton-clone-betty-ford-clinic-alumni-candidate" .

I'm not sure what will happen with her but I hope she can figure out a way to have some kind of decent life and hopefully turn into a good golfer once again, assuming she even wants to do the golf thing. It sure appears to me that her "handlers" have taken all the fun out if for her. That's a shame for any 17 year old, regardless of how much money they're being paid.

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
How does that happen though? You go from being 16 and the best female golfer there is, to 17 and shooting in the 80s. Surely this all can't be blamed on the injury.

OP
Sandy

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
If she thinks she played great and carded an 82, you have to wonder what kind of score she would put up if she *didn't* have a good round!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I generally don't comment on Michelle Wie, but I think you guys are being too hard on her... although I definitely see where you are coming from.

In my opinion, the real blame with who and what she's become lies with the gallery of idiots that suround her, advise her and sponsor her. If you want to pissed off at someone, cast your anger at them. She's been molded into exactly what they all want her to be, not necessarily who she wants to be.

I think they've turned a basically good kid with awesome golf talent into a "Nike-sponsored-dog-and-pony-show-soon-to-be-paris-hilton-clone-betty-ford-clinic-alumni-candidate" .

I'm not sure what will happen with her but I hope she can figure out a way to have some kind of decent life and hopefully turn into a good golfer once again, assuming she even wants to do the golf thing. It sure appears to me that her "handlers" have taken all the fun out if for her. That's a shame for any 17 year old, regardless of how much money they're being paid.

Truth.:thumbs up:

GoFlyers

Dec 18, 2004
How does that happen though? You go from being 16 and the best female golfer there is, to 17 and shooting in the 80s. Surely this all can't be blamed on the injury.

... maybe she wasn't the best female golfer when she was 16... I know some headlines said that... but... sometimes, the headlines are wrong.

GoFlyers

Dec 18, 2004

then... why didn't Pressel, Creamer, Miyazato (and the list goes on...) not make the same mistake? Michelle did what she wanted to do. People helped her achieve those goals... she made bad decisions.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
then... why didn't Pressel, Creamer, Miyazato (and the list goes on...) not make the same mistake? Michelle did what she wanted to do. People helped her achieve those goals... she made bad decisions.

How can you blame a 16yo for making bad decisions? Girls her age have a hard time deciding what lip gloss to wear.

The difference between Creamer, Pressel, Miyazato, and others is that the folks who surrounded them wanted success for their charge.

Wie's handlers want to ride the gravy train. Every decision made for her was about maximizing the $$$ in their pockets. "Ride that horse into the ground" has been their motto.

🔥 Latest posts