• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

64* Wedge

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Jayhawk, I support the decision-making process you've committed to here. I think people should allow for distance gaps in the long clubs, and pad their short-game arsenal.

If I wasn't getting so used to hitting the 40-80 yard shots with my LW (which I try to avoid, anyway) I'd be into trying a 64*. People psyche themselves out with lob wedges. They're not any harder to hit, IMO.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
THe 60 Degree wedge has won quite a few matches for me. My buddy cannot say no to it. He only seems to remember the good shots he hits with it. The only problem is for every good shot he hits with it, he hits 3 or 4 bad shots! :wow:

I bought a 68 degree wedge for him for Christmas. I know he will not be able to resist. Looks as if I will benefit from this as well.

The course that you play can dictate that you carry a 60 degree wedge. We have a local course that has a lot of elevated greens where a 60 wedge could come in handy. I have learned how to hit the shots that I need at this course with my 56 though.

I do believe that it is harder to hit a wedge the higher the loft goes. The problem I have had and the one that I most often observe is a difficulty in controlling the distance. If you are a bogey golfer, do yourself a favor and ditch the lob wedge.

Dorkman53

May 17, 2005
It probably sounds strange hearing someone wanting to fill a gap between 40 and 60 yards. But it is a shot I face a bit not only because of poor ball striking at times, but there are also 2-3 par 4's that I play where the absolute safest and widest landing area is in that range. They are holes where it is a risk to try and drive the green on 2, and laying up is even a risk with forced carries. So while most people would never have a 40-60 yard shot in their bag, and would only likely find themselves in that position on poor course management, that would be a good range to fill for my normal rounds.

Ah....but you miss the point. If you have a club that you can stick very close to the pin and stop on a dime that hits 50-60 yards, consistently accurately, it's NOT poor course management to play to that distance.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Ah....but you miss the point. If you have a club that you can stick very close to the pin and stop on a dime that hits 50-60 yards, consistently accurately, it's NOT poor course management to play to that distance.

I have a lot of problems hitting my LW to around 40-50yds, I can do 60yds on 3/4 and 30yds on half a swing but the middle does give me trouble. That's why I want to try a 64º as well.

A 64º could be the trick I guess...or maybe learning how to play golf :D

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm with Jayhawk. I face 0-150 shots(crossing all 4 of my wedges) more often than 220-280 shots(what potentially would be a hybrid, fairway wood, etc.).

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Jayhawk, I support the decision-making process you've committed to here. I think people should allow for distance gaps in the long clubs, and pad their short-game arsenal.
I am almost reaching the point where I feel I have improved my long game about as much as I can outside of just how much I play. Lessons could help, but I think I hit the ball well enough and keeping it in play is mainly what I concentrate on. I am also kind of opposite of most, where I just really no longer enjoy going to the range or practicing my long game. I find short game very relaxing and an enjoyable way to wind down a day.
I bought a 68 degree wedge for him for Christmas. I know he will not be able to resist. Looks as if I will benefit from this as well.
That is just cruel. Sounds like he will be paying for the club himself in no time. :laugh:
Probably the reason I am not hesitating a whole lot. Right now I like to play my ball to 70 yards and figure anything between 60-100 is scoring distance. Would be nice to change that to 40-100, specifically since I am also very good between 40 and in. Would really change my scoring distance from 0-105. Would also allow me to possibly change my perspective on many of the Par 5's I play, where it seems like some of the wider areas are inside 50 yards and take many of the hazards in the 90-100 yard range out of play. I really am looking at it for what you mention, it would allow for a lot easier course management in aiming at the wider gaps in otherwise narrow fairways.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well, just got back from about 4-5 different golf stores and the only 64's they carried were the Cleveland CG12 and the 588. Which is not necessarily a bad thing as I have always been fond of the 588's, and was my second choice in wedges next to my Pings. Did not care for the DSG Bounce setup on the CG12. So I did pick up a Chrome 588 64* with 8* bounce. Would have probably preferred less than 8* Bounce, although not at the expense of the DSG setup. I am quite content with the 8* on my 60*, so it should suffice.

Will post a review and opinion after I have a chance to practice and use the thing a bit. Which as the season is winding down, hopefully I will be able to get a bunch of time in with it before next year begins. I do like the feel of the club.

My wife picked up a TM Monza Spyder, which was the real reason for the trip and should be obvious that it would be wise to try and ho my wedge in the process. :D While I am not a big Ho, I do know the rules. Man is that thing butt ugly. But she feels the same way about my fang, so I guess I should just be happy I don't have to putt with it myself.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Did manage to spend a couple hours playing around with this club and found that it played almost identical as far as feel compared to my 60*LW.

It nicely fills the gap I wanted and seems to give me roughly 15 yards less than my LW. So using the same swing variations that I use on my LW will give me about a 45-60 yard range with this club. Which basically takes me right to the exact bottom of my LW range. It also takes me almost exactly to the top of my comfortable range in going to my short game range.

I use the Pelz method but only use thed 7:30 and 9:00 swings. Interesting enough my top range on my GW was 43. In having it bent 1* stronger as part of my gap filling on my clubs, it will likely put me right around 45 yards. It also gave me yardage with that of 14 yards and 26 yards, which fill in the gaps with my other wedges. WHere anything inside of that is a chip anyways.

I am looking forward to what this will do, where I basically will now have 4 wedges to fill a range between 13 yards and 45 yards. An XW to go between 45 and 60, LW between 60 and 75, SW between 75 and 90, and GW between probably 90 and 105. All relatively high percentage shots, and assuming something like a bump and run is not preferable. For our course we do have to rely on a larger number of higher lofted shots.

Also curious to see what the 1* will do on my GW, as it has been my primary chipping club for years and my tendency on less than perfect chips would be to come up short. I guess likely my biggest skepticism in making this confirmation is how it will effect my chipping, where if it does I will likely bend that wedge back and just have a bigger gap between my GW and 9i.

Time will tell, and will post a better review after I have a chance to play it a while, although as our year is winding down, not sure how soon that will be. But is seems to play just like my LW

🔥 Latest posts