• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

7 WOOD; 9 WOOD

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
United States United States
Hello
Been looking into the idea of including a 7 and or 9 wood in the bag. Just don't do well with irons anymore and even the hybrids are toss-up. Curious to know if any are using these clubs, what are you getting out of them in distance and what is your club head speed, and the club specs if you know. Most of the UTube videos are done with tour level swings, which don't do me any good at all.. Thanks!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
75 years old and no idea what my swing speed is. Carried a Heaven Wood for many years. Gave it up when hybrids seemed to be the craze. Never carried a 9 wood.
Picked up another 7 wood a couple months ago. Cobra. 23 degree. Mainly for one hole, #18. Par 5. You have to hug the left side with your drive. If center cut or on the right half of the fairway, there is a huge overhanging tree limb. Thought the 7 wood would allow me to go over the limb. It does...

But... it's back out of the bag. Hate to take up a spot in the bag with a club I only use on one hole. Seldom and non-windy day here. The 7 wood just gets the ball too high. Non-windy, good contact will get me 205 to 210. Get it up in the wind and it goes nowhere!! I can negotiate a hybrid or long iron around the limb... most of the time... and use them on other holes.

Our local golf shop says he's seen a resurgence of interest in the high lofted woods.

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
Interesting.. I've been away from the game for 20 years, came back last year, so my swing isn't quite dialed in yet. My 3 wood is a TM 580 15° 43" and I can get 210 carry if I really swing it. Mostly get around 190-200 on the course. Really working on weight shift and rotation.
When shopping the used market for 7 and 9 woods I discovered they come in a wide variety of club lengths and lofts. 7 woods come in lofts from 21° to 26° and 9 woods come in lofts from 22° to 29°. From what I could gather, a 7 wood 'by definition' has a 22° loft and a 9 wood 'by definition' has a 24° loft.

I ordered a 41¾" 24° 7 wood, and a 40¼" 27° 9 wood. Hoping to fill some gaps under 190 yards. Should arrive in a week or so.

I have some hybrids, but they fail me too often on the course.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Modern 9 woods are rare since hybrids entered the market. Heck, even 7 woods are not too plentiful and hard to get good deals on. I recently added a 5 and 7 wood to the bag for experimentation when I switched to a hybrid style iron.

With slower swing speeds, higher lofted fairway woods make more sense as they should launch higher and land softer than hybrids and long irons at similar swing speeds.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Not sure if this is along the same lines, but I’ve been considering a small overhaul to my bag’s top end for some time. My 3w is barely used at best and never from the fairway. Thinking of removing it for an actual 5w and shuffling my hybrids to fill any gaps, if needed. Feel much more confident with a 5w from the fairway as well as getting it into play on those shorter par 4’s

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Love my TM V-Steel 7w. Currently hunting for the matching 9w.

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
Here's how it's going so far;
Ordered a Maltby 4 wood 15°; a Masterfit 7 wood 24°; a Tailorbilt 9 wood 27°.
Received the 4 and 7 wood, and installed new grips. The 9 wood is delayed for some reason, so UPS says..
The 4 wood, according to the Swing Caddy gives me just as much distance as any 3 wood I've had, which is around 215-220, and I'm more consistent with it.
The 7 wood gives me as much as 195 yards, if I really swing it, but around 187 comfortably. Which is a well hit 4H or a so-so 3H. I'm much more consistent with the 7 wood than I have been with the hybrids. The 9 wood should arrive sometime next week.
I even got crazy and found a 11 wood very reasonable, just to see what that is all about. I'm thinking it will be like a 7-iron on steroids..

OP
T

TopMaster

Sep 25, 2021
Country
Well after all that I returned the 4 and 7 wood. I was only going off of what the launch monitor was telling me. After playing on course and different lies of grass at the range, I decided the clubs were not a good fit. The 7 woods' face was too shallow and wasn't getting good strikes, and the 4 wood, I kept fading too much. It's the only club I've ever faded like that.
So, I found a King Cobra 7 Fairway Wood 22° Graphite Regular Flex 42.5" that is working out much better. Off the grass I can get 180-185 when hit well. Nice straight ball flight.
The TAILOR BILT MEGA 130 TITANIUM FAIRWAY 27° 9 WOOD does well off the grass also. I get roughly 170-175 when hit well. Nice straight lofty ball flight. I installed new oversize grips on both of these.
That Steely Heavy Sole 11 Wood 32° / RH / ML-20 Regular Graphite ~40" I'm still deciding on. The head is obviously very lofty and small. The club is long, and I find I do better if I choke down a bit. The grips are very small so it's difficult to hang on to. Grips are ordered and on the way. If I can get a good strike, I can get roughly 155 yards. Tried teeing off on a par 3 with it and it was a dismal failure.. Luckily it was a 4-man scramble and two guys got on in one.
We'll see how it goes from here...

🔥 Latest posts