• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

85 feet

85 feet

• Chip on or wedge shot

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Lag putt

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
We will consider both from 85 feet, one from the rough the other on the green as is appropriate for the poll, as we all know by now I suck at putting, but I am pretty good with my wedges and actually would feel better about the wedge or chip shot.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
5iron chip.
icon10.gif

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
I don't think my home course has a green large enough to ever see an 85 foot putt, so I'm always going to be chipping. That is just a standard PW chip for me if I have a lot of green to use.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We will consider both from 85 feet, one from the rough the other on the green as is appropriate for the poll, as we all know by now I suck at putting, but I am pretty good with my wedges and actually would feel better about the wedge or chip shot.

The precurssor you included demanded that I choose 'putt'. When you say ...from the rough... all bets are off. How deep is the greenside rough? How tangled? An extension of the green? Or, native grasses in the close proximity to the green?

If you mean chipping from "fringe" type grasses, regularly mowed, and I can see all or most of the ball, I'll take either. But, once that ball drops into what I define as "rough"... a tangled mess that leaves hardly any of the ball visible, I'd always take being on the green.

I'm just being onery, but you say 85' from the hole??? That's the way I understand it. If we're playing from the rough, how much green do I have to work with? Is the green sloped towards me or away from me? 85' from the rough, ball sitting down, green sloping towards me... I'll probably try to get a sand wedge under it and use the green as a backstop. If the green slopes away from me, now I've got to be careful with a lob wedge that I don't slide under the ball but get it out and land it soft enough to see it stop.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Like limpalong said, it's all gonna depend on the lie in the grass. My favorite shot from just off the green in a decent lie is a chip with a choked-down 47* PW, but 85' is a long way. How much rough, how much fringe, and how much green?

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I would likely putt any time I can get my putter in my hand and don't have something going on with the green where there are 2-3 different massive breaks going on. I play on very few courses where there is a possibility of an 85 foot putt. We're talking about almost 30 yards.

Even if I were on the fringe or collar, I would likely putt as I am pretty confident I can get my putter close enough to the pin to get up and down the majority of the time, where from that distance I am not sure I have the same confidence in my wedge, iron or hybrid. I can think of at least a couple putts that I have also sunk from that distance or longer, not sure I remember doing so with a wedge where I didn't fly it a good way to the hole and didn't consider the outcome sheer luck.

Even if I am in a short cut fairway from that distance and feel there is not enough disturbance on the way to the hole, I may even consider a Texas wedge over a bump and run.

edit 1 - ... and as limpalong mentioned, this doesn't even take into consideration the rough. I don't care what the distance is, I would take the green over the rough any day of the week.

flomarilius

Nike staffer :)
Jun 19, 2006
putting Im so good at putting at a range of 40+ feet that I can putt inside a 4foot diameter circle.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Whats a lag putt? Is that the strange shot that some use when they are trying to miss a putt on purpose? i.e they haven't yet had the lesson that says you should try and hole everything:)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I don't think my home course has a green large enough to ever see an 85 foot putt, so I'm always going to be chipping. That is just a standard PW chip for me if I have a lot of green to use.

I don't think any course in New England has a possible 85ft. putt. The courses I play most often have pretty small greens. My kitchen is bigger than most of them. Hence the reason my pph avg. is 1.7 and my gir is about 5.5.
icon10.gif
I am 2-3ft. off quite a bit.

OP
Davebud

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I have 2 greens on my course where an 85 foot putt is possible depending on pin placements for the day, so I was talking about putting from the green or chipping from off the green.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
I would putt per the parameters you gave. Now, if the ball was 1 foot off the green in the fringe, then I'd use my 60* and fly it there. I'm just so confident with that thing it's amazing!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Whats a lag putt? Is that the strange shot that some use when they are trying to miss a putt on purpose? i.e they haven't yet had the lesson that says you should try and hole everything:)

Right, right.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
since that is alot of green to read id go with the chip shot.cuase the way i putt id be 15` short trying not to blow it buy and the second one i would blow buy about 6`.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

I have to agree on this. The people I play with are always saying "every putt or chip you make look like you're going to make it." I always reply, "I was trying to make it". I am always closer to the hole when I miss when I am trying to hole a long putt, any chip, or any short pitch shot than I would be if I were just trying to "get it close".

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep,golf is hard enough without trying to miss on purpose.The lag putt is lunacy.Archers don't aim for 'somewhere in the vacinity of the target',they aim for the bull.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.