• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

9 Hole Course

Anna

Feb 20, 2013
Country
United States United States
Hi just wanted to introduce myself. I own a restaurant at a 9 hole golf course. I wanted to get some thoughts on the golf industry. I keep hearing it is down 40%. Is this true? We are in the process of purchasing the 9 hole course and would like to get some thoughts on this

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Welcome Anna! You picked a great forum to join. I can't attest to the golf industry because I'm not even at my one year of playing yet but there are tons of knowledgeable individuals here that can help

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Welcome. I've also heard that play is down, but that can be related to the economy. I feel that the economy will rebound in a year or two. It sounds like you own the restaurant, but not the course, and now you have the opportunity to purchase the course. Have you had the chance to look at the books yet?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
With the massive increases in food prices, gas prices, etc something has to give and for the vast majority of people who golf that is what they will give up. Around here the number of rds played is or rather last yr was way down, and I don't see that letting up anytime soon.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'll take a cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato...oh, wait....:D

Welcome to Shot Talk!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The golf industry has been down for the past few years. Why? There are a number of contributing factors.
1. Cost: In a difficult economic time, family budgets are stretched. The cost of equipment and the cost of green fees may not be affordable.
2. Time: Typical recreational rounds of golf will take upwards of 4 hours. If someone has to drive to and from a course, better than 6 hours can be lost. If there is family... If there are work responsibilities... Golf may not be the priority that gets the nod.
3. Condition of affordable courses: Not everyone can afford to belong to private clubs. Therefore, a number of golfers migrate to more affordable daily fee courses. Municipalities have had to cut budgets for course maintenance. Private, low cost courses have had difficulty putting the dollars into maintenance required to keep the courses in good shape. If you do make the sacrifice of giving up 6 hours of family time to play a round of golf and the course is a 'goat pasture'........
4. Fewer companies and corporations offering golf memberships to employees: During the 'high times' of the '90s, many companies almost encouraged their employees to enjoy memberships at a local club. Times are tough. It's difficult enough for some firms to keep their doors open, let alone give the appearance of oppulence.

If you do purchase the 9-hole course...
1. Charge a fair price, but enough to be able to professionally maintain the course. Keep it clean and pristine and you will attract players.
2. There are millions of 'baby-boomers' out there retired or retiring. Many have had club memberships through the firms they've retired from. Many are on fixed income and cannot afford club memberships. Find a way to introduce all the seniors you can to your course. If you can get a few groups of seniors playing every day, they can provide a steady income.

Good luck in your endeavor....

Oh, Welcome to ShotTalk!!!!!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.