• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

9 iron & putter experiment.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
6 iron, GW & putter experiment.

Going to try something in the next few days, going to play my local 9 hole course & use nothing but my 9 iron & my putter. Got to thinking about yesterdays rd & if I took the putts out I had 81 shots for the 27 holes & it was 8900+ yds. That's an average of 110 yds per shot, including, mishits, messups, etc.

Now I normally hit my 9 iron 130 yds & can keep it pretty straight. So the par 4's should take 3 shots to get on & the par 5's might be 4 or possibly 5. If I can 1 putt a few of the holes my score should be pretty close to what I normally shoot.

Will be interesting to find out.

Note I modified the initial post to reflect the change in clubs.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
I have done that very scenario with a 9,7,and 5 iron on different occasions. As long as your course doesn't have any forced carries you should be pleasantly surprised at how it turns out.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have done that very scenario with a 9,7,and 5 iron on different occasions. As long as your course doesn't have any forced carries you should be pleasantly surprised at how it turns out.
Yeah, I've done it with a 4, 6, 8, SW. Best scores I've shot in a while. I think one club + putter would be quite a challenge.

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
When I am walking, I will sometimes use either my even or odd irons. Never really seems to make a whole lot of difference in the score.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I've done something similar, but just did 7 iron and down.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country

Yeah, I've done it with a 4, 6, 8, SW. Best scores I've shot in a while. I think one club + putter would be quite a challenge.

No forced carries & the longest hole is only 450 yds. I thought about using a 6 iron instead since it's prbably my favorite iron. Supposed to be low 70's the next few days so I will have a chance to try it out.

Either way I am only going to use 2 clubs total.

PureStroke

Oct 10, 2008
That is some great course management practice. When I first started playing I had this really bad attitude and temper on the course. So every time I showed my ass my mentor would take a club away from my bag. Bye the time he was done all i had was a putter a Pw, an 8 iron and a 4 iron and he kept the rest for like almost 3 weeks. I deffinetly learned my lesson, about tempers and course management. Its also great practice for the annual 3 club tourney at your local Club.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've never tried it with just 2 or 3 clubs. I have played a few rounds with nothing over a 4 iron in my bag. Actually shot my 2nd lowest score on my home course that way. Good luck with the experiment.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I have never gone to a course with only specific clubs, but i did restrain myself to using nothing over a 4i at this one course...the 8th hole is a 570 yard par 5...no forced carry but i knew it would take me at least 4 and probably 5 to get on if i just used my 4i because of hte way the hole was setup...well...i brought out the driver and put it in the woods...i was on in 5...shoulda just stuck with the 4i.

I think i shot a 42(par 36) with that double on 8

Apparently just because one is able to have 14 clubs doesnt mean they are all needed...

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Ok I bit the bullet & did the deed today. However I did change it up just a tiny bit, decided to go with a 6 iron instead since I didn't feel like bending over that far with a short club for 20+ shots. Also tried using the 6 for chipping & the results were dismal to say the least, so I forced myself to add my GW to the mix.

Played my local course, 2800 yds par 36. Took my the 1st 3 holes to get a good feel for what I was doing & it really took a lot of will power to not pull out the driver. Good things that happened were I didn't top the ball 1 single time & almost every shot was straight, except for my drive off the 2nd & 1 chip I was very pleased.

Typical score on this course for me the last month has been anywhere from a 39-42. I have played this course probably 40 times this year & pretty much know where to place the ball for the best results.

Anyways using just the 6 iron, GW & putter I shot a 41!!!!! I am shocked, I didn't think the score would be exactly the same as what I have been shooting with my full bag.

I think the key reasons were, I hit the fairway on 6 out of 7 attempts. I was forced to really work on direction & not worry about distance. I had 16 putts & if I could have knocked just a few more of those off this had the makings of being my best rd on this course. In addition to the 6 FIR's, I also had 4 GIR's.

Now I just have to get a couple of the guys from work who really struggle with their driver to try this same experiment.

4 pars & 5 bogeys is pretty decent for my 1st time attempting this.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Makes you wonder why we even carry 14 clubs doesn't it?

BTW, your results were about what I was expecting. WTG!

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I was expecting to shoot 46-48, I was a bit worried about the par 5's. But they ended up being a non factor, 1 I had GIR & the other just missed.

I think everyone should try something similar to this at least once, it may just open your eyes.

monzter

Aug 7, 2008
Nice job...Results like those are not too uncommon from what I hear.

Gonna have to try it someday.

🔥 Latest posts