• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

905R Swingweight

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I can't find this listed anywhere. I know my Rapture was D3 and this feels equal or maybe even a little heavier. I really like this swingweight and want to record it so 10 years from now when I buy another driver :)D) I can match it. Does anyone know what this is (with YS-6+ stiff shaft)? :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That calculator did not work very well for me. I tried it against known quantities and it was way off. My irons are a D2 and were coming up in the E range as were my fw woods and driver.

I checked again, it was C range. My driver has a balance point at 32.5" and weighs 320grams. It comes up a C7 "this is within the normal range for womens clubs". lol.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Swing weight is the most over rated spec in a golf club, the titty you have if stock would be D3. Most people could never tell the difference between 2 swing weight points. Static weight is far more important.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Swing weight is the most over rated spec in a golf club, the titty you have if stock would be D3. Most people could never tell the difference between 2 swing weight points. Static weight is far more important.

:thumbs up:

This is SO true!

Thanks for spreadin the word!!!

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007

:thumbs up:

This is SO true!

Thanks for spreadin the word!!!

I was going to post the same thing yesterday but it sounds a lot more credible coming from you guys. ;)

I tried a little experiment with a friend of mine. He's about a 7 index and a pretty good ball striker, very solid swing.

I had two sets of my irons with me at the driving range (Golfsmith graphite D2's and steel P2's). I asked him to swing the 5i of both sets and tell me which one had the heavier swing weight. He picked the D2's. Wrong. They are about 2-3 points lower swing weight, but are heavier static weight than the P2's. Not a scientific study by any means but still interesting.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Anyone know what the "static" weight of the 905R is? :D Or is that just the weight on the scale? :D

Never heard that term before... :D

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Yeah, "static" weight would be at rest/not moving or... on the scale weight. :D

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
All depends on the weight of all the other components...shaft, grip...etc.

Last year we did some "blind tests" with our customers to see if the could determine if certain clubs had a heavier swingweight based on feel....we also did tests to see if they could differentiate between forged and cast clubs....spined/flo'ed clubs versus non flo'd clubs...etc..

Anyway, we found that no one could differentiate swing weight unless it was dramatic.....and the really funny thing was we had a club we built up the grip with extra tape and even thought by doing that, we DECREASED the swingweight...almost everyone figured it was heavier.

There's a lot in golf that is misconstrued...and we've learned that occasionally, we need to implement the "Placebo" effect with some...

Most recently we had a guy who was a cronic slicer with his driver...kept saying the shaft was too soft for his (Big burley muscled arms)....and the previous Nevada Bobs gave him a stiffer club and he was slicing further .

Came to us and said he needed a very strong shaft......because he was overpowering everything the golf industry could provide him.... LOL

I told him I'd get a strong stiff flex shaft...and we'd try again.

In reality, I put him in a much softer flex shaft...told him that it feels soft when "wagling"...but stiffens up when loading.....he accepted that information as gospel and started striking the ball dead-azz middle and long...

I saw him this morning and he loves us....his manlyhood is maintained....we helped im be a better golfer....and no one else is the wiser.

I figure someday, I'll tell him the truth...but right now, he's on a mental high and believes we created a combo to meet his strength....

But untill then, I'm just happy to see HIM happy.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
indacup, can I tell him for you:)

I seem to have a knack for crushing ppls spirits in relating to golf:D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
My 905R with the NV 65R shaft weighs in at 11.25 ounces, or 315 grams, and swingweights at D2.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.