• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

983e for beginner?

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
Well, this is the first year that I'll be golfing for real. (More than twice a year) I just purchased a set of Taylormade 200 Steel's on ebay, and now I'm looking to add a driver to my bag. A co-worker of mine has a Titleist 983e that he said he'll sell to me for $100. It's in real good shape. My only concern is that it isn't forgiving enough for me. Driving is the part of my game I need to work on the most... so I need the most forgiving driver possible. I'm going to the driving range to hit it to see if I like it... but I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with this driver? And are there any other drivers you would recommend instead?

Thanks a lot.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I would not recommend this club for a beginner.Its not at all forgiving,you really need a bigger head and much bigger sweetspot.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
I agree with dave. It is set up to hit the ball low and will give you very little help on mis hits.
I would suggest a cleveland 460. You can find them for close to $100 and you will be able to hit it much easier.

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
Great irons you bought, I have a set of those and they are solid irons. Friend of mine who plays Hogans hit mine a week ago and said "These things are sweet"
As for your driver, as the others said I would not recommend a 983 for a beginning golfer.
Something like a TaylorMade 580 would be good. Or the Cleveland, even some of the older PINGS.
Good Luck and enjoy the game.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
I'd try a second hand Adam's Driver their cheap and forgiving.
try ebay or as dave calls it Ebat

Members online

No members online now.