• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A bit of trouble at the range.

The master

Oct 24, 2004
I just got back from the range 30 minutes ago I hit 200 ball didn't have enough time to hit 289 like I usually do every night my habd is usually sore after it. I go to the range every night to work on my swing for 1 hr 30 mins. My moto 1 day without practicing 1 day longer it takes you to get better. Anyway more to the point I started of doing my pitching working my way down the bag every thing was going good I was nailing every shot untill I got to the 3/4 iron and I couldn't hit them they were going about 190yrds with a push and the others were low hooks I think I am trying to force my long irons to get them up in the air and I am swinging to fast I started hitting them better at the end.

But anyway I was just wondering does anyone have any tips for hitting long irons higher. Drills etc. Thanks in advance.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
For me, the longer the iron, the less cocking I do in the backswing.
Simple as that. :)

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Hit my friends sonartec at the range tonight the one im, getting for christmas and boy was I nailing it 19* stiff I was hitting it 220yrds carry in frezzing weather im replacing my 3 iron so all my roblems are fixed. The face is very square and the head is quite chunky the thing come out a bit low but is really nice.

Jeff Gallo

Swing Guru
Aug 26, 2004
my suggestion, work on staying back on the shot. Just swing around your body trying tomaintain your sternum just behind the ball, this will make your approach shallower (more "sweeping" stroke) and help you turn the club over easier. many people make the mistake of thinking that all there is to long irons is clubheadspeed and in a rush to create it we often find a jump to the front leg just a little too early. be weary of this.
Hope this helps!

OP
T

The master

Oct 24, 2004
Thanks jeff I treid doing that last night but starting hitting a slice don't know why. Of the tee I hit they really high but of the deck I just can't it's in my head but it will be sorted soon I have a couple of weeks off soon so I can work on it then I will be playing and practicing every day.

🔥 Latest posts