• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Caddyshack moment.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I was with my Dad for Father's Day, and we played golf on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Sunday morning found us at a private club in Englewood that neither of had been to before. The pro at my Dad's club had arranged a reciprocal for us, and we showed up about an hour ahead of our scheduled tee time.

After getting directions to the clubhouse from the gate guard, my Dad drove up looking for the bag drop. There was none, and it appeared that the protocol here was to be a cart pickup in the parking lot.

My Dad, fueled by the creeping fog of age, and a brutal Italian stubborness, decided that he was going to find the bag drop DAMMIT!

So he drives through a portico that, to my eyes anyway, looked just wide enough for a cart. Sure enough, he just gets through, drives right past the first tee, around a curve (which was clearly - to me at least - a cart path), past the stunned gazes of about a hundred club members eating breakfast behind the floor-to-ceiling picture windows of the clubhouse. "Mildred, I didn't know they'd added Lexus carts to the stable..."

At this point his wife and I are practically begging him to stop. He's having none of it, thinking that the cart path that headed out to the driving range would somehow miraculously carry him to safety.

At this point there is a guy on the practice green (now only 100 feet away and getting closer by the minute) doing his best Judge Smails imitation. Actually it was more like the guy having the stroke in "Falling Down", but you get the picture. Somehow we got my Dad to stop just before he actually got next to the 10th tee. He somehow executed a beautiful 3-point turn, and headed back past the diners, most of whom were still holding their fork full of omelet, frozen with the fear that this maniac would just drive through the clubhouse itself on the way back out to the parking lot.

Thank heaven no one actually saw us get out of the vehicle, and we managed to make it to the pro shop without further incident.

Unfortunately, we discovered after the round that his wife had locked the keys inside the car. We are now an hour and a half away from his house, stranded. Fortunately, AAA saved the day by getting a locksmith there in just under two hours. Unfortunately, the alarm on the vehicle went off as he was jimmying the lock, and must surely have pissed off anyone standing on the tee, since it rang for a good five minutes, and was LOUD.

All in all, it was a pretty fun day.:laugh:

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Good God what a day and GREAT description by you. I could visualize it all....

This happened at our club about a year ago. I was driving my cart up to the the back of the 9th green and suddenly a car full of people is driving up the cart path headed straight for the pool. The cart path is barely wide enough for the car to drive through...the driver must have been pretty steady at the wheel.

My cart partner and I get out and start waving them off. The driver is clearly puzzled and we explain that he must turn around. He executes a pretty good three point turn in some pine trees and is on his way...

Lucky he didn't get hit by a stray range ball...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That sounds like one these moments that you desperately want out of but are funny as hell when you look back on it!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ahhhh, but yes, it will certainly be a Father's Day to remember for years to come. .... and you gotta love him for being able to do something like that as though nothing ever happened.:laugh:

sssmokin

Retired and loving it
Supporting Member
Jul 2, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Country
Cracked me up................LOL. Tell him if he ever goes to Wisconsin to golf, that very few courses have bag drops. Sentry World, Black Wolf Run, are the only two I've played that do. Really was a Father's Day to remember. How did you golf? :laugh:

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
It was definitely one for the memory bank.:laugh:

The course was only 6100 from the back tees, but very narrow with water in play on 16 of 18 holes and postage-stamp greens that were fast and undulating. Not Oakmont by any means, but not easy.

All in all, I was very happy with my ball-striking, and hit some excellent shots, including a spectacular 200-yard 3-hybrid shot to six feet from a side-hill lie in the rough . The driver is back in the bag, but still not feeling right. I was hitting it pretty straight, but even my best hits were only going 250. My 70 year-old Dad was out-driving me.

Still, I'm going to give it a while longer before trying another shaft.

Chipping was atrocious. Putting was not much better. I lost at least 10 shots to really poor short game play. I've GOT to fix this. I'm thinking hypnosis.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
The driver is back in the bag, but still not feeling right. I was hitting it pretty straight, but even my best hits were only going 250. My 70 year-old Dad was out-driving me.

A 250 yard drive is nothing to be ashamed of, unless you have professional aspirations. I hit several on Saturday that came nowhere near 250 yards.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
great story awsome description.i could actualy visualize the whole thing happening.between the chuckles that is.

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
yea man that was a great story and you did a good job telling it, i cracked up reading it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.