• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A celebrity in your midst!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
This is my 5th year on the Board of Directors at our golf course. You can only serve two consecutive three year terms... and that's enough! This past five years we've had awesome Boards to be part of and have made significant improvements in course conditions, staffing, etc.

It's a nine member Board. Each year three terms expire and three new members are elected. (If you are completing your first term in office, you can run for reelection for one of the open positions.) Board members are elected in our November annual membership meeting where we usually see a large turnout of our club members. The December Board meeting is held at a local facility where we have dinner. After dinner we convene the BOD meeting with the current Board. We discuss any old business. Adjourn that meeting and convene a second meeting with the new Board. At that meeting is the "passing of the gavel" where President and VP for the next year are elected by the new Board members.

I've been serving as VP this past year. Last night the Board elected me President for 2023. Don't know that I am overjoyed, but am honored. We try to keep a good mix of age diversity on the Board. We need some of us old codgers who have the time to handle business affairs, minor course/clubhouse maintenance issues, etc. But, we need some of those still young enough to bring in new members, etc. With the largest budget our club has ever seen... the challenges of global and local economic issues... unknown weather issues which can significantly affect playability... and the desire to finally get a half-million dollar new maintenance facility constructed... it will be a busy year for this old coot!!!

Through 2023, however, I will expect honor and adulations as any dignitary of my high standing would expect and deserve!!!!!🤣🤣

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
President Limp! We're not worthy!
You'll be great, they'll be putting up plaques and statues in your honor!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Congratulations My Friend!!!

Speaking from experience, that is one of the greatest honors you can ever achieve in Golf IMO!!! After I stopped posting on Shottalk years ago, I needed to find something to occupy my time. I ended up serving on the Board of Directors for our 112 year old Country Club, after 4 years of serving on the the Board I was elected President of the Country Club, and served for 2 years. It was one of the greatest honors I experienced in Golf.

I also became heavily involved in our Township, and have served as the Chairman of the Vacancy Board (at the discretion of the Board of Supervisors) for the last 6 years and running. Not sure which has been my best overall achievement for doing the right thing in the last 10 years.

After two years as Country Club President, I kind of stepped aside to let the younger generation lead the way, and now just serve as the Handicap Chairman for the Country Club.

Then came back to Shottalk.

Congratulations!!!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Congratulations My Friend!!!

Speaking from experience, that is one of the greatest honors you can ever achieve in Golf IMO!!! After I stopped posting on Shottalk years ago, I needed to find something to occupy my time. I ended up serving on the Board of Directors for our 112 year old Country Club, after 4 years of serving on the the Board I was elected President of the Country Club, and served for 2 years. It was one of the greatest honors I experienced in Golf.

I also became heavily involved in our Township, and have served as the Chairman of the Vacancy Board (at the discretion of the Board of Supervisors) for the last 6 years and running. Not sure which has been my best overall achievement for doing the right thing in the last 10 years.

After two years as Country Club President, I kind of stepped aside to let the younger generation lead the way, and now just serve as the Handicap Chairman for the Country Club.

Then came back to Shottalk.

Congratulations!!!
I have always held the belief that one should not scream dissatisfaction unless you are willing to be part of finding solutions. As soon as I retired... and thought I would have time to commit... I ran for a Board position at the Club. Was elected to my first 3-year term... and reelected to a second. It has been eye-opening, time consuming, and rewarding. We've had some good Boards to work with this past 5 years. Made a lot of positive changes. Currently, without question, we have the best professionals on staff of any course in the area!!!
And, we have ~380 awesome members of our Club. We fired a superintendent... an entirely different story... in July. Had 4 weeks before the new person could be on site... during the busiest time of the year. Was unbelievable how the membership came out to help mow, trim trees, clean up after a windstorm, assist with mechanical work on mowers, etc., etc., etc. That commitment of our membership makes our jobs as Board members so much easier!!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I have always held the belief that one should not scream dissatisfaction unless you are willing to be part of finding solutions.
You don't become President of a CC unless that is how you're wired. First, you would never get any votes from the Board to become President if they didn't already know that is how you are. Second, it is not like a company were you have a direct say in everyone that is on the board, and if you don't get buy in from working with the board volunteering, the task becomes yours.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yeah, like you're the first limp president this country has ever seen. ;)

Congrats Limp!! I agree that you can't complain if you don't get involved (presided over a few boards as well). So good for you!

🔥 Latest posts