• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A great swing

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
The golf swing is a strange animal i have a playing partner with a great looking swing often commented on by other players.The thing is he is 13 handicap and at the moment not playing to it.
My swing although pretty good doesent look as nice but i am 5 handicap i hit my drives longer and my irons 2 clubs further(yes i know i am a lower handicap).My point is what your swing looks like does not matter its the club face at contact thats what counts.I always remember lee travino not the nicest looking swing but it got the job done.
The problem is he started having lessons this really messed him up i think a lot of pros try to make a player swing a certain way.Instead of making the best of a players ability.I have been teaching a friend for about a year, six months ago he had lessons he could not hit a ball to save his life after the lessons.It took me a while to get him back on track we played 9 holes in the week and he hit some of the best shots he had ever played has anyone else had this sort of experiance.
I am asking this because many players at my club believe if i had lessons i would be scratch i have never had a lesson apart from putting as that has always been my weak point.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
i would use the "solutions" to fixing golf swing as I would to any other problem.

1. Function over looks
2. If it aint broke - dont fix it
3. if it seems a little out of whack, just smack it a bit
4. Dont go changing all the parts if a little duct tape and chewing gum will fix it ok .
5. Only tear it down completely and rebuild it if is totally trashed.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Lee Trevino, Jim Thorpe, Arnold Palmer, Jim Furyk.... They have some curious swing, but man can they hit the ball.
Particularly, Lee Trevino was a tool man. He knew how to use the club.

If the swing works for you and you like it and have confidence with it, don't change it.
I always tinker with my swing so that it should be easy, simple, and efficient. I tinker, but I also have the ability to know my body and have a good idea of what's happening, and how to fix it.
Most other people aren't that fortunate, and they may need a lesson.
There is a downside to it though.
If you get lessons and commit the time and energy to follow a Tour Swing, you will get good results.
But if you commit the same time and energy to tweak an already good homemade swing, then you will get even better.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If you can generate enough clubhead speed, and can return the clubhead squarely to the ball, with the club travelling on the proper path, and do it repeatedly, you can strike the ball well.

Trevino, Thorpe, Palmer. They all had one thing in common. Their body postions, as well as the clubhead path and face-angle, were almost identical at impact. That's all that really matters.

Butcho22

Feb 16, 2006
You are a 5 handicap. While that is way above average, you still have TONS of room to get better.

Whenever you get a lesson, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Meaning you need to realize that whatever that instructor is telling you, might not be a good thing for you personally.

As far as not taking lessons because it might mess you up, that garbage. 99.9% or all touring pros in history have taken at least a few lessons....what makes you think you're any different?

Maybe you need to get together for a few rounds with some scratch players......getting beat will give you the motivation you need to get better. You probably feel like Tiger Woods himself while playing with your duffer buddies.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Butcho22 said:
As far as not taking lessons because it might mess you up, that garbage. 99.9% or all touring pros in history have taken at least a few lessons....what makes you think you're any different?

Maybe you need to get together for a few rounds with some scratch players......getting beat will give you the motivation you need to get better. You probably feel like Tiger Woods himself while playing with your duffer buddies.

Retief Goosen never took a lesson.
Neither Sam Snead...

BTW, I already have the motivation to get better. But that doesn't mean I should take any lesson.
I know what parts of my game I need to improve, and know how to improve it. I'm an autodidact and read all that technical swing babble. I can teach anybody how to swing, chip, putt. It doesn't mean I'm good at it.
But do I have the time to practice? No.
Do you know how many hours a day pro practice around the green? It's their job.

And you think it's garbage that taking lessons might mess you up?
Look at Lee Trevino. He had his swing, and he bought into taking lessons and changing his swing because he could improve. Look how messed up he played after.
The same goes for Jim Furyk. He had his particular upright swing. He changed it to a more conventional one, then switched back to his more natural one because he played better with it.
I can name just by head Steve Lowery, David Duval (even though his problem may be more psychological, but nevertheless....).
And of course Tiger Woods: the prime example of swing change, and the slump he was in because of it. Good think he has the dedication to go through it all the way.
So yes, lessons can be beneficial. But why change something if it works well already?

OP
L

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
Butcho22 said:
You are a 5 handicap. While that is way above average, you still have TONS of room to get better.

Whenever you get a lesson, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Meaning you need to realize that whatever that instructor is telling you, might not be a good thing for you personally.

Yes i am off five but thats at my course which is over 7000yrds at most others i am maybe 1 or 2 handicap i am much better than five and have shot 5 under gross at other courses.I have played with lots of pros and scratch players and always get complemented on my game(though not my swing).
Thats my point who cares if you have a differant looking swing its the face at contact that counts.I still think a lesson would mess up my game yes theres room for improvement but i can do that on my own.I know my weak points and this year i will overcome them.I could go to a easier course and be a scratch player but why, i dont want 60yrd second shots into par fours.Most single figure players who play at my course dont get any where near their handicap.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
You can also take a lesson with a pro who realizes that you don't rework the swing of a 5 handicap. A good pro will take a 5 and work with grip, take away and foot alignment. Things that don't really change the fundamentals of the swing.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online