• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Guy Walks Into A Golf Shop...(This is Long)

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Well, I finally decided to get fitted for the first time and I am a very happy camper. I went into the shop with a $1500 budget (yeah, that's what I call walking around money) and the full intent of buying the nicest gear I could find. I envisioned a bag with the new 907D2, a set of 695.CBs and 3 new Vokey Spin Milled wedges. I first got on the launch monitor and was immediately saddened to find out that the 8.5* 907D2 (their lowest available loft) was not the right club for me. I was hitting it too high (on the launch monitor) with too much spin. We tried 3 different shafts, but no luck. On a whim I picked up a used 905S 8.5* with a Fujikura Speeder Stiff shaft and unless that monitor is a liar, I found the driver I need. Nice 13* launch angle and got it about $350 less. Even tried a newer 905R, but still not as good as the 905S. Awesome!!!

Same deal with the irons. Turns out I am the guy that companies tailor to, standard lie and length. I loved the look of the 695.CBs, but was kind of disheartened to find out the chrome has been notorious for wearing off in mere months, and with the soft carbon forging, hitting off of hardpan (that's all west Texas is made of) would hack up my new $700 irons. Found a used set of 704.CBs for $400 less, and loved them. Since they're stainless steel, they won't hack up so badly, but since they're forged they are steel softer than cast.

Picked up 3 different Vokey wedges, an oil can GW, tour satin SW and black nickel LW. I got the 200 series for about $50 less per wedge than the Spin Milled. Not sure how much spin I'm giving up in performance, but the guy told me he likes them better than the SM and I'm probably not good enough to notice anyway. I really like the contrast in styles.

Finally, got a new 904F 3 wood on sale. Only thing missing is a hybrid 3 (may not be a Titleist), and a new bag, but I'm going back later this week. Won't get to test the clubs under fire until this weekend, but I can't wait.

I was so happy that the guy (yeah, that's his name) was a pro. He didn't care how much I spent (he may have if I had told him what I was ready to spend) just that I found the clubs that worked best for me. Lesson to all: get fitted by a pro. It's worth it.:smilie_ti

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Great post. This is exactly what every person should do when buying new stuff.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Yup - worked for me with driver and irons.

Took a chance on the 3W - we'll see how that works out.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I never knew how much difference a shaft could make. Now I do. I wish I had done this with my previous set.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
You can ride with me since I am "supposed" to go to Wisconsin anyway.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I only spent about $1000 (and I scoff as I say "only"). That leaves me with about $500, but I'm probably going to spend a few hundred on new shirts and shorts, and buy a push cart for my bag (no more hoofing it for me).

Or maybe I'll just play poker with it instead.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Nice pick ups. I too like the regular Vokey's and certainly don't need more spin. We'll see how the SW performs out of the rough once it grows in. I hit one full out of a deep bunker and I was just amazed, last bounce it nearly went off the green and then spun back down the hill, like 25-30feet. That ones actually not a Vokey but similar.

I take a different approach, no fitting, just buy everything and sort it out as I go. :)

🔥 Latest posts