• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Ho's top 3.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've had more drivers than I can care to remember! Most are much of a muchness but I have decided which have been my 3 best.

in reverse order they are....

#3). Callaway FT-3 Tour.

For me Callaway's best ever driver, Great looks, Great performance and came with a great choice of custom shafts. My Favorite was a 9.5 Neutral bias with a Stiff ProLaunch Blue. I hit this driver superb it was the 1st time I found a 460cc driver which set up square behind the ball and this gave me the confidence to use 'players' clubs. I was probably one of the few people who actually loved the muted powerful sound from the FT3.... I Gamed it for quite a while, until the shaft snapped which gave me a reason to start the Ho search again. (gonna ho one the same spec for old times sake...something to show my lad in years to come...how drivers looked when I was a lad).

#2). Cobra L4V X/Speed.

This is amongst the worse looking drivers I've owned!!!... but coupled with a Diamana BlueBoard 83X was defenetly the longest driver I've ever hit! The forgivness with this driver was good but I feel even though it has a square face angle it had a definate draw bias which led to me struggling on the left hand side of the course. I think with it having such a high MOI and with it's huge looks behind the ball that after a few months, I got into the habbit of just trying to lash the ball 300 yards with no swing thoughts. I had to get a much less forgiving driver to learn how to hit the big dog straight again so the L4V was sold. (the Cobra Pro S is one of my favorite looking drivers but I've never managed to couple one up with a shaft I like...must address this issue).

#1). Mizuno MP600

This is my favorite driver of all time. I loved it when I got one with a V2 when they were 1st released... Looks stunning behind the ball, Square face, great pear shaped profile and really solid impact noise. For me up there with the longest drivers I've used. I love how it sits square and you can alter the bias with the track system. I only sold my original one as the track would catch the ground on my take away... but I've solved this problem now with a little expanding foam in the track. I've got a 9.5 degree with a X-Flex BiMatrix Prototype and I'm loving it again... Great trajectory, can hit fades and draws at will and long. These are cheap as chips now I'd be intreasted to hear if anybody else has hit this driver and what they think.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So what was #1?

Is this just for drivers?

#3 BurnerTP 2007 w/VS Proto 70S

Nice and square, higher launch head. Spin was just a little too much I believe though. VS Proto was a great shaft though, could unload on that thing and hit a baby hold cut.

#2 R7 QuadTP w/Speeder 757S

After hitting so many 460's this thing set up like a 3W for me. Launched mid/high with low spin. Very workable, sometimes too much when face left open though. Absolute cannon when hit dead center. Longest driver I've hit off the sweet spot.

#1 Cobra SpeedPro D w/VS Proto 65S

I've never seen a club that sets up so perfectly. 10.5* and square to slightly open. Talk about total confidence at adress. High launch/low spin head combined with "my shaft" produces drives that hang out forever. My playing partners are walking past the ladies teebox by the time the thing lands as I hurridly put the cover on with a big smile and catch up. Up there with the longest drivers I've hit but #1 by a mile in consistancy. Carrying 260yds. every time I hit it.

I suppose I'll also add an "honarable mention" for the FTi tour. It was forgiving as far as a mishit outside of the center of the face, ie: distance loss was suprisingly minimal outside of center. Driver was long and high. Problems areas were 1) too much spin 2) leave the face open and it's a lost ball... and with a playing length approaching 46" this was bound to happen sooner or later. Even on a good day it was like "bang" 270, "bang" 275, "boink" 272 but into that housing complex 2 blocks OB. If I'd continued to play that I'd had to have thrown a few yellow Top Flites in the bag for my "3 off the tees" with 3W. "Sorry to hear about your window sir, what color is the ball? No, not mine sir, I'm playing yellow ones.".

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
So what was #1?

Is this just for drivers?

Yes mate for us Driver Ho's.

I like your number one although I prefer the Pro S, they look so nice behind the ball, I just need to get one with a shaft I like in it. It's funny all the money we have spent on drivers and one of the cheaper ones hit our #1 spot!!!

Gonna add my #1 now

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
1) and back in the bag, 510TP Speeder 757
2) Geek DCT
3) Toy Penna persimmon

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
#3: Callaway FT-3 Tour, neutral with an Adila NVS shaft. Great looking club & I was hitting it great for quite sometime. Then I don't know what happened but no matter what I tried was getting far too much side spin.

#2: TM R7 425 TP with Pro-Launch red shaft. Great looking & feeling club, distance is fantastic & feel is superb. However if my swing is off even a little bit, then it's not forgiving at all.

#1: Current TM Burner with the VS Proto shaft. Some folks don't like the looks of the Burner but I think they look sweet. Plenty of distance & minimal sidespin. Very forgiving too if your swing is off a bit.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
1 - Cleveland Launcher Ti 460 8.5* with Grafalloy Blue S. Man, why did I sell that goddamned thing.

2 - Callaway FT-5 Tour 8.5* with SynerG Fly 65 First Article. This is currently second to my bagged driver. Figure this one out. :D

3 - Callaway Great Big Bertha II 8.5* with Grafalloy Blue Tour S. I hit some enourmous bombs with this thing.

Honourable mention - Callaway Warbird 9.5*. This was the first OEM steel headed driver I had in my bag. I gave it to my brother, and he killed it too.

I've had ALOT of great drivers over the last few years, but these have always been my favorites. For now...:thumbs up:

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
1. Bridgestone J33R 460 8.5, Accuflex Creation 80 gram. Why I continue to try to find its equal I do not know.

2. Hibore Xl 9.5, Stulz Nano Arrow. I bombed this thing. It was so close to the Bridgestone in performance. I hit this thing more solid than maybe any other driver. But, the closed face lead to such a poor HS golf season that I sold the head to Rock. I miss it. The tour version is too open, otherwise that would be in my bag, with the Stulz. Why can't they make a Hibore with a square face?

3. FT-i tour fade 8.5, Accuflex Creation 65. This thing was a cannon, but not quite as long as the Bridgestone. I had to bring it to make the Creation work properly, but when I did the shot was inevitably perfect. On an off day, the results were not as good. Get stuck and block it, and that ball is gone. Replaced the Creation with a Grafalloy Prototype Bimatrix, and it is very good. It's a little harder to turn over with the Bimatrix, leading to even worse misses when I block it. A good swing, however, challenges the J33R in distance easily. I've been thinking that a "normal" shaped driver is better for me though. If anybody wants to give it a try, send me a PM, but it isn't "officially" for sale.

The 425tp I recently built seemed very promising, but I haven't swung it enough yet. I have a feeling it will be on this list though.

Sunset Beach Golf

Custom Putter Maker
Oct 31, 2008
#1 Callaway FT-3 Tour with an aldila VS Proto. Still gaming it today. Nothing has come close in terms of ballspeed. Still not sure how this club was ever on the conforming clubs list.

#2 Callaway Great Big Bertha way ahead of their time. I cannot remember what shaft I had in it.

#3 Ping G2 - as long as you actually measured the loft and got one that fit you they were a great club. I had a 7* that measured 8.5 with a NVS shaft.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Here's my top three.
  • Ping G10 10.5 with Prolaunch Red - currently flavour of the month
  • Maltby CT250 Professional 10.5 with Limey (Graman UL540) - getting very jealous and resentful of the G10
  • TEE 10.5 with ProtoNT shaft - That was a solid driver!!

Hon mention to
9.5 983K with Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 - man, that was a great driver for me.

I tried bucket loads of others. Can't take to the Callaways, not a fan of TM, neutral about Cleveland

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
My top 3?

3) Your mom. w00t.
2) Callaway FT-3
1) Callaway FT-i

Sorry, my two favorite drivers!

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
1. TM 9.5 Quad TP with Aldila by You shaft. Sweet feeling and great trajectory

2. TM 10.5 R5 TP with UST V2 shaft. Same as above with a bit higher trajectory and on occasional basis longer than above.

3. Ping G2 10* with Solutions shaft Just plain Mr consistent

I purchased an extra weight set from Billy Bob Golf I believe. Set has weights 2 grams, 4 gm, 8gm 10 gm, 12 gm, 14 gm if memory serves right. Anyway 2 in each category so there is wide variety of choices and weight spreads. The performance of the TM drivers can be changed "big time" without changing shafts.

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
A list of the best drivers, technology being how it is, would be likely to include only recent models. I will mention the drivers which I found the most memorable.
ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
3. ffice:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:place>Taylor</ST1:place></st1:City> Made Original One 12º. I was considered a space alien when I got this thing. People actually asked if it was legal! (Not conforming…legal.) I had been struggling with a classy Toney Penna persimmon which I hit didn’t hit straight or far. The steel TM was much more forgiving. (And for you younger folks, it really was spelled “Toney.”)
By the way, people had seen metal drivers before. Some driving ranges had magnesium ones that were real dogs. Stainless was a horse of another color.
<O:p></O:p>
2. Titleist Howitzer, my first titanium. This was also a 12º driver. It was at the time the most expensive golf club that I’d ever owned, so I didn’t dare hit it poorly! Titleist thinks less of it than I did, obviously, because they don’t even include it in their archive.
1. My present driver. Here is the deal. I had grown to really like 12º drivers. Now, however, you can’t find one without a closed face and a very upright lie. A former LPGA star, apprised of my dilemma, suggested a good 10.5º model with a tip-soft shaft to make up for the loft. Good idea. Comfortable lie angle. Looks good at address. Gets the ball up like a 12º. Good length, some sacrifice in accuracy. I only hit driver on four, sometimes five holes at my club…I like to see a generous landing area.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Put a driver in my hands and I can't find a friggin' fairway to save my life!!!

You guys have favourites of these stupid things!?!?!?!?! :unhappy:

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Put a driver in my hands and I can't find a friggin' fairway to save my life!!!

You guys have favourites of these stupid things!?!?!?!?! :unhappy:

LOL, try sumthin a bit more forgiving than a 905S and you might have half a chance!!! :thumbs up:

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
LOL, try sumthin a bit more forgiving than a 905S and you might have half a chance!!! :thumbs up:

Yeah my mistake for thinking I had game.... :eek:

Soon I'll be trying an '07 Burner TP with Accuflex Creation at 44 inches. If I can't hit a fairway with this bloody thing I WILL OFFICIALLY QUIT THIS GAME.:prop:

Members online