• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Hybrid round

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
Earlier this week, I posted here asking for some buying advice about hybrids. (thanks to those who got back to me!). I then went out and bought a Nike Slingshot #3 21 degrees.

My first day at the range with it was horrid! It was all over the place! It was so bad, that I actually took it back to the store to return it. But i knew it was me and not the club. So I ended up keeping it; and practiced just swinging the club in the backyard with out any balls...just free swinging.

So today, i took it out on the course. I intentionally left my 3i and 4i in he trunk....along with my driver which rarely ever sees any action other than the trunk anyways! lol

I figured, I try to see how often I could use it in a round. So that meant tee shots, second shots on a Par5 and long Par4s...and even a couple of long Par3s.

My God does that thing ever hit the ball!!! Even missed shots were going straight! I kept compensating for my usual fade/slice by aiming left....but the thing kept hitting it straight were I pointed it!! So after awhile, my playing partner goes: "man, they were you are hitting that club, just point and shot". The rest of the round I did just that. Just point it, and swing freely. Now I am not a big hitter, but by the end of the round, I was outdriving my playing partners even though they were using drivers! And I was on the fairway each time, as opposed to them taking a drop! lol

Seriously guys, I heard all that stuff about hybrids being the be all club. I was skeptical....but after today's round, i am so glad that I didn't return it!

Again, thanks to all those those who convinced me to get one of these clubs. It really does feel like cheating! lol

-DVS

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I have confidence now I can put it on the green on those long par 3's and long fairway shots. I have my bad days with it but realize it's just the nut on the handle acting up and nothing to do with the club. It's been one of the bright spots in a dismal scoring summer. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Seriously guys, I heard all that stuff about hybrids being the be all club. I was skeptical....but after today's round, i am so glad that I didn't return it!

Again, thanks to all those those who convinced me to get one of these clubs. It really does feel like cheating! lol

-DVS

icon12.gif

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Yup, I've done hybrid rounds also . A real confidence booster. Cheating made legal.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
It pains me to say so, but the hybrid has really worked out great for me.

There's a 279 par 3 at my home course and my 17* hybrid works perfectly, given the hard greens I can hold it where my 3 wood might hold, but usually goes over.

However, to save face, I'm still hunting for a MP-32 or 33 2-iron.

OP
D

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
There's a 279 par 3 at my home course

279 yard Par 3?! Holy Moses that is long!! I'd be looking at a guaranteed bogey on that hole. :(

wow, you hit your hybrid 270+ yrds? Thats really impressive. I am only able to muster up 200 from my 21 degree. (but at least its straight...so I am happy). :)

-DVS

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Paa Ko 8th hole par 3 I believe played 285 yards when I was there. Was over the green with a 305 yard drive but nice chip to par it. Huge green. It seemed to me that in New Mexico par 3 holes start at 210 yards. They serve you up Wheaties for breakfast.

OP
D

DVS

Aug 15, 2007
wow, those are some crazy yardages for Par 3s!

I played a course the other day, and it had a 110 yard par3, but the damn thing was apparently one of the more difficult holes on the course. Just tucked in between sand, forest, with water and hazard everywhere else.

While lenght does make a hole harder to play, sometimes these tricky small holes are just as damaging to one's score card.

-DVS

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
279 yard Par 3?! Holy Moses that is long!! I'd be looking at a guaranteed bogey on that hole. :(

wow, you hit your hybrid 270+ yrds? Thats really impressive. I am only able to muster up 200 from my 21 degree. (but at least its straight...so I am happy). :)

-DVS

Note his sig... he plays at high elevation in New Mexico, about the same as I do here in Colorado. 270 with a hybrid is a long ways, but I've hit my 19° as far as 250 off a peg, so I certainly don't doubt him... he's a young flexible kid still and I'm a stiff old man. :laugh:

🔥 Latest posts