• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A little help

WKA82

Dec 14, 2007
I am new to the game. I can hit my Irons good, but when it comes to my driver I cant seem to hit the ball straight. It goes a good distance but to the right. I know it is hard to give advice without seeing my swing but any would be appreciated. Also what kind of training manuals or dvds have worked well for you all? Thanks for the help.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
Once I quit trying to crush the ball with the driver, it helped greatly.

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
I am new to the game. I can hit my Irons good, but when it comes to my driver I cant seem to hit the ball straight. It goes a good distance but to the right. I know it is hard to give advice without seeing my swing but any would be appreciated. Also what kind of training manuals or dvds have worked well for you all? Thanks for the help.

Chances are you probably need to fix some things in your set up.

lamebums

300 yards into the woods.
Jul 4, 2007

The majority of new golfers slice the ball off the tee because of an outside-in swing path. It means through impact that you're pulling the club towards you as well as through the ball. The spin you're imparting on it will curve the ball to the right through the air.

It probably doesn't show on your irons because an iron shot typically generates more backspin (backspin fights off sidespin).

And yes, not crushing the ball may help, although work on the swing path.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Go to the range, set up an alignment station using two irons laid down parallel to each other, one just outside of the ball, the other just outside of your feet, so that they both point downrange on your target line.

Warm up with some iron shots, then take out your driver. Choke up an inch on the grip when hitting it. Stand parallel to your alignment station (DO NOT ADJUST YOUR BODY TO AIM RIGHT). Now pick a spot 150 yards downrange and 30 yards to the right of your center line. Alternate hitting 7-iron and driver TO THAT SPOT. You want to hit the driver 150-yards (I'm assuming you can normally hit a driver over 180-yards. The point here is to try to hit 75% shorter shots to the right of where you normally aim.)

Do this for at least ten shots every time you go to the range.

Also, get a lesson, so that you can have someone check your fundamentals (grip, stance, alignment, etc.)

Love the avatar....

OP
WKA82

WKA82

Dec 14, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely give these tips a try

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
as some others have said.not trying to crush the ball will help.most of my best drives have come when i was just trying to make solid contact and not worrying about how far i could hit it.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Don't feel bad. I've been playing nearly 4yrs. now and every part of my game has improved 10fold but the driver. I like to try to go straight back on my taget line then straight at it on the throughswing. There is one simple thing that helped my driving out a lot... finding a 3W I like and using it.
icon10.gif
I say that only half jokingly though. I assume you watch golf, watch Tiger, how many times a round does he pull out a club other than driver for a tee shot? When you get right down to it the best player in the world is actually not all that good with the driver compared with the other top players IMO.

Evesdad

Jun 18, 2006
Lesson

Get yourself booked in for a lesson. I had same problem irons straight woods far right. Turned out had a 'weak' grip not enough knuckles showing on left hand. I am right handed by the way. I flexed my legs slightly too much. The new grip felt akward and uncomfortable for a while but soon get used to it. I now have more distance on all clubs and driver goes mainly straight. I even hit the odd hook! Also try not to knock the cover of the ball. My drives are now over 250 yards and with only a 3/4 swing if i go all out it really does go anywhere!! Best £16 i ever spent.

mac09

Dec 16, 2007
The driver is always the hardest club to master at first but once you learn all the fundamentals of the grip and setup you will see great improvement and you're confidence will grow with every good drive and it will become your favourite club to hit.

Members online

No members online now.