• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A long strange trip

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Well, not really. Just the usual for me... I'm Back!! Just in time for Xmas!!

I went on a trip for work (furniture moving) down to Florida and back. We started out with 5 guys, my boss included, to deliver 2 trucks of furniture to NC. So we are out on the Jersey pike and my boss is driving the customer's G35, his nephew in the front of me and I was in the rear. Snow and ice have been coming off the tops of trucks all morning and a huge chunk flies off his, hitting a Dodge pickup going 70 and taking out the windshield. The moron goes up in front, cuts in front of the lead truck and jacks the brakes. I almost hit the nephew and the truck behind me nearly jacknifed and took out the whole highway. After some death threats and lots of swearing we left the guy on the side of the Tpk. with insurance info and his busted up truck... and apparently my boss will have to pay for the windshield.

Later that evening the nephew is still in front and my boss calls him on the phone to take an exit since he is ahead of us. (checking weigh stations since both trucks are 2K over). The nephew takes the wrong one and cuts back into the highway sharply and I swear to you he was "this close" to tipping the f'ing thing over at 60mph. I wasn't trying that manuveur and just took the exit and got back on.

Just up the road we hit a weight station in VA and no way around it, cops everywhere. I get the arrow to the inspection area, not good and I'm crapping in my shorts. This dude comes up to the truck with a beard and an orange vest on, not a VA Statie? He says they are doing a "survey" and asks me questions about my pickup, delivery ect. and "have a good evening". Holy Crap that was lucky. My boss bought us steak dinner after that, lol.

Well it was fairly uneventful, smooth unload in NC, I continued to FL to pickup with "Charlie", the most miserable SOB you ever met. He's like an angry troll, that's about my best description. We took some $hit out of storage in FL that had been there for over 10years. Most of it had been damaged years back when half the roof got peeled off the building during a hurricane.

We got to VA and the guy was really cool. I guess the stuff had belonged to parents and he wasn't 100% sure what was there... good thing because we threw a bunch of crap away. :laugh: He gave us an $80 tip and an extra $150 to throw out a mat, box and a "waterbed". Well the waterbed was easy... we threw that $hit out in FL before we left... little did he know.
icon10.gif

We made it up to MD that night and time to sleep before a small dropoff in NJ. I check into a Super 8 and we go into the room. Charlie goes into the bathroom and I hear him saying "what the F***!!" which is not uncommon since he clogs every goddamn toilet he uses. He says "fing roaches everywhere" and sure enough I plop my bag on the bed and roaches come out from behind the headboard... Down the front desk for a refund from these nasty mfer's and on up a few exits to find another place... BTW, for cheap you can't go wrong with "Day's Inn", "Super 8's" are crackhouses.

Last but not least we get to NJ and our directions dump us straight onto a parkway, which we can't go on with the truck. So we find an alternate route, finally get there. Couldn't be easy, could it? This old guy is living with his 2 daughters I guess and what looks like several grandkids that are like late teens maybe early 20's. Anyway, they have no cash for the bill and we have to wait while the lady runs to the bank. We start unloading anway and Charlie is starting in big time. He pushes me up the stairs with a triple dresser, I lose my footing and it drops on my ankle. I let that go till we get back to the truck, he's already inside the back. He starts yelling some BS at me so it throw the moving blanket in his face. He jumps off and ready to fight, for real and starts swinging. I was not really into it till he caught me with one, had to get at least one in after that. I backed up and cocked the right to get him looking at it and caught him real good in the mouth with a left jab, that ended it for his little fit of rage.
icon10.gif
We shook hands called it a truce later. The kid that was there was a little freaked out though. He'll be telling the story of those 2 crazy white mfer's that went at it in the driveway, lol.

So I'm back, safe and sound and whopping $1400 richer. :rolleyes: Stay in school kids, this is no way to make a living.
icon12.gif

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
You mean $500 richer.

We all know the ho.

A little something for the chick and the rest for clubs.

Merry Christmas John. :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That's about right Sling... unless TM came out with a new driver since I left.
icon10.gif

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you as well.

BTW, this weather sucks, NC is the best state on the east coast, I'm convinced.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I thought you were gonna get some golf in down there.... :D

Man, I'm glad I'm getting close to retiring after listening to that. :laugh:

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Unfortunately no golf this time. It was raining in FL anyway. I really only spent about 2hrs. there not driving and awake. We got there at 3:15am and left around 1pm. Hopefully next time. I was actually thinking about taking off for New Year's but I don't know if I could find plane tickets that quick for a reasonable price.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Quite the adventure, Ez. It sounds like you were lucky to make it back in one piece!

Jun 24, 2006
So you faked right..and went left..that's sneaky. I would have done the opposite. Hey, at least it wasn't a cop this time;) :D(KIDDING)

Welcome home.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think HBO could have a replacement for The Sopranos here. Just follow Ezra around with a camera. You've got ho's, cross-country trips avoiding the law, fights, high-speed chases. It's a goldmine.
icon12.gif

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Believe me, I don't want all this drama but it seems to follow me.

Eracer, how far are you and Crossfire from Jacksonville? Pretty far?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Believe me, I don't want all this drama but it seems to follow me.

Eracer, how far are you and Crossfire from Jacksonville? Pretty far?
I'm in Tampa - that's a bit under 4 hours. Orlando (Crossfire, Tim, Sandwedge) is about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on which side of the city they are

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
John, I know you don't want a life lesson here, and I am not trying to give one but, just some friendly advice... it's never too late to start thinking about changing careers. Just because you are 30 something, doesn't mean you have to put up with that crap. There's lots of opportunities out there.

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
Great story! I worked for a moving company back in college during breaks so I know what kind of characters and adventures you can run into.

Last but not least we get to NJ and our directions dump us straight onto a parkway, which we can't go on with the truck.

On Friday the 21st a bunch of people I work with here in NJ were complaining about a tractor trailer that not only got onto the Garden State Parkway ( only cars allowed ), it then caught fire causing a major traffice jam! While reading your story I was thinking, OMG...its him! Glad to hear that it wasn't you.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Lol. I know better than that. We took Rt. 9 a little ways, stopped for directions and then went back a mile or 2 and hit Rt. 35. Once you've been doing this long enough you don't get lost for very long.

I am about ready to get out of this racket. The $$ is not all that great and it's started to take it's toll on me physically (mentally too working with these idiots). I need to get some motivation, quit this job, finish my last 4-5 classes for my business degree and find something with decent pay and good schedule. I should just get my Class B CDL and get a local delivery job, like milk or something.
icon10.gif
I was talking with a kid a few years ago and he made just under $20/hr., M-TH, 5am-2pm delivering milk (to stores). The truck is actually smaller than the one I drive but heavier axles. That was my original plan, get the Class B first to make decent $$ then finish the school. My biggest hurdle is my record but that's 10yrs. old now. I guess I got a bit defeated after trying to find jobs when it was fresh and getting shot down. I just took something I knew I could do, make OK $$ and not have to worry about the record being an issue. I'm definitely capable of doing a whole lot more but stuck in a rut of some serious underachieving.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Milk deliveries are harder on the body that you would think. I worked for an independent wholesaler selling natural snack foods(beef jerky, snack mixes, vitamins) for 5 years and the liquid drivers(beer, milk, soda) never last that long before there back gave them too much trouble to continue.

🔥 Latest posts