• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A lot of good golfers out there?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
This year is the first year I have been able to try to enter the Georgia State Golf Ass(ociation)'s Senior Championship, as it is held on a Wed, Thurs, and Friday, and I had to get one of my vacation weeks to coincide. Not easy when you have to request Annual Leave the previous December. :horse1:

Anyway, I'm not going to make the field, as it is the low handicap 144 entries, and with another 10 hours to go, there are already 170 entries.

Just for laughs, I looked up the handicaps of 30 randomly picked entries, and none were higher than a -2. Wow. I'm at a -9.3 right now, so obviously, no chance of even getting to play.

Funny, though, I looked at last years' scores, and while the winner, after 54 holes, was at +1, the 36 hole cut (to 72 players and ties) was +13 and the last place was at +29 after 54 holes. Granted, the GSGA sometimes sets up their courses like it was the US Open, but, those high scores don't look like real -2 handicappers to me.

Crap. Since I already have the week off, I guess I'll just go to Pinehurst.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
In VT they have qualifying rounds. Last years top 20 are in for sure, everyone else needs to qualify... typically 4 sites - and they take the top 60% or so from each site.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
You're not supposed to play to your handicap but, what, once every 4 rounds? Under the pressure of a tournament and on a tough course, I can see a -2 being at +29 after three rounds. It's only a bogey every other hole. I'm sure a lot of guys get a handsome handicap playing the same course day in and day out. Playing some different set up to be difficult can be very punishing.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
SUX is right. I'm a 2.7 index and I absolutely suck. Put me on a course that penalizes you for being offline with your driver and I have trouble breaking 85 sometimes.

My course, club championship first round last Saturday, I shot my handicap, 3-over, with 6 punchouts and one OB ball. When you play a course a lot you learn where to miss.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
SUX is right. I'm a 2.7 index and I absolutely suck. Put me on a course that penalizes you for being offline with your driver and I have trouble breaking 85 sometimes.

My course, club championship first round last Saturday, I shot my handicap, 3-over, with 6 punchouts and one OB ball. When you play a course a lot you learn where to miss.

Spot on. The best thing you can do for your game on your home track is learn where to miss. Thats why I'm a 2.6!!!

🔥 Latest posts