• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Masters Minus Tiger and Phil?

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
United States United States
Although I'm still young enough to be limp's son, this post is exactly how I feel and what I think when I hear comments like "Tiger/Phil/whoever's not playing, no reason to watch". I watched, and loved, all the guys limp mentioned. But more than that, I grew up watching THE GAME. In my opinion, if you're only watching to watch 1 player, you're really not a fan of the game. What difference does it make if it's Joe Superstar or Joe Schmoe coming back from 6 down to win on the back side on Sunday afternoon? Or getting up on Sunday 4 strokes up and then increase that lead to win? It takes the same drive, the same determination to pull it off. And, it's probably a bigger story when Joe Schmoe does it because he's not used to doing it. He stepped up that day, on that course, to be the best. In my opinion, that's a much bigger story than any superstar racking up win #87.
While I agree with what you are saying, loving the game and being a fan of certain players are two different things. I love watching Tiger and Phil when they are at their best because they hit amazing shots. I love watching football too but I'm a Denver Broncos fan. Same thing IMO.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Although I'm still young enough to be limp's son, this post is exactly how I feel and what I think when I hear comments like "Tiger/Phil/whoever's not playing, no reason to watch". I watched, and loved, all the guys limp mentioned. But more than that, I grew up watching THE GAME. In my opinion, if you're only watching to watch 1 player, you're really not a fan of the game. What difference does it make if it's Joe Superstar or Joe Schmoe coming back from 6 down to win on the back side on Sunday afternoon? Or getting up on Sunday 4 strokes up and then increase that lead to win? It takes the same drive, the same determination to pull it off. And, it's probably a bigger story when Joe Schmoe does it because he's not used to doing it. He stepped up that day, on that course, to be the best. In my opinion, that's a much bigger story than any superstar racking up win #87.
987.gif

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
While I agree with what you are saying, loving the game and being a fan of certain players are two different things. I love watching Tiger and Phil when they are at their best because they hit amazing shots. I love watching football too but I'm a Denver Broncos fan. Same thing IMO.
Great example. My question is, do you only watch the Broncos play, or do you watch other games as well? Do you only watch the Super Bowl (football's major) if the Broncos are playing?

And, I agree with the whole idea of being a fan of certain players. I am. What I don't agree with is that golf is not worth watching unless those few players are playing.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Great example. My question is, do you only watch the Broncos play, or do you watch other games as well? Do you only watch the Super Bowl (football's major) if the Broncos are playing?

And, I agree with the whole idea of being a fan of certain players. I am. What I don't agree with is that golf is not worth watching unless those few players are playing.
I completely agree any golf is good golf. No I watch and enjoy all football, I am emotionally invested in the Broncos.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I guess I'm not a real fan of golf. I've tried watching some tournaments without Tiger an Phil and it's just plain vanilla. I need players to watch that are exciting or give me a reason to watch. Otherwise I have 100 other things I could be doing in the afternoon.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
These Masters champions are not expected to play, either. :(

Tommy Aaron
Jack Burke Jr.
Billy Casper