• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Mixed Weekend for Red and Black

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
THE MAN WHO ARRIVED AT THE FIRST TEE on Sunday as the 54-hole leader of the WGC-Cadillac Championship wore red and black. He was brimming with confidence. Just look at what he said on Saturday night.

"I firmly believe, as well as my swing coach and my whole team that's behind me, I'm a top five player in the world," he told NBC, according to John Strege.

"I just got out there on tour and it takes awhile to get your spot all the way up there. But I have that confidence that I'm a top five player in the world. I feel like if I do what I'm supposed to do and play how I'm supposed to, if I'm playing the best I can that week I can't be beat."

Reed: "I'm one of the top five
players in the world."​
He is not 38-year-old Tiger Woods. He is 23-year-old Patrick Reed.

On Sunday afternoon, after proclaiming his greatness, Reed battled his way to a 72 on Trump National Doral and a one-stroke victory over Bubba Watson and Jamie Donaldson. Reed is the youngest winner of a World Golf Championship. His wire-to-wire victory at the Blue Monster was his third PGA Tour title since last August.

As Doug Ferguson pointed out in his AP story, Reed has now racked up three wins in 14 tour starts and moved to No. 20 in the Official World Golf Ranking. He is not quietly confident.

Reed afterward: "I don't see a lot of guys that have done that besides Tiger Woods and the legends of the game. I believe in myself, especially with how hard I've worked. I'm one of the top five players in the world. I feel like I've proven myself."

Meanwhile, the man who made red and black fearsome on Sunday struggled to a final-round 78 in the pairing directly ahead of Reed and Jason Dufner. Woods nursed an ailing back during a final 18 that included no birdies. Tiger's status is uncertain, but he hopes to be ready for the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill.

Postscript

In other red and black news, San Diego State (my alma mater) beat New Mexico on Saturday night to win the Mountain West in basketball. The Aztecs are ranked No. 8 as they head into the conference tournament this week. Sorry to veer off topic, but I couldn't help it. Well, actually I could help it, but I didn't want to.

Source: A Mixed Weekend for Red and Black

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Reed is playing great, his game is solid!
Very. I was impressed with how solidly he hit the ball under pressure Sunday. He had a lot of iffy lies. He surprised me. I thought he would fold like a lawn chair. He was solid though. He knows it too. Did you watch his interview after won? He thinks he's top 5 in the world. I'm not buying it but with that kind of confidence he should do well. You have to believe in yourself.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
Another win for a non-flat belly.

Clapping-gif-tumblr-i19.gif

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Very. I was impressed with how solidly he hit the ball under pressure Sunday. He had a lot of iffy lies. He surprised me. I thought he would fold like a lawn chair. He was solid though. He knows it too. Did you watch his interview after won? He thinks he's top 5 in the world. I'm not buying it but with that kind of confidence he should do well. You have to believe in yourself.
I like his confidence and 3 wins in 14 starts is pretty impressive.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I like the fact he doesn't look like he just stepped out of the weight room even though he probably did.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I wouldnt say anything to down his confidence to his face. To you lowly golf course crawling creatures I would point out the fine confidence of a young officer sent to war has this same admirable quest to be measured.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Another win for a non-flat belly.

He looks like me, except he's taller and skinnier. I had forgotten that he had played for Augusta State, after he was "asked to leave" UGA. How the heck can you be so obnoxious that UGA asks you to leave?

🔥 Latest posts