• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A new driver head...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Alright, I'm revamping my bag. Regressing, really. I am no longer interested in hitting the ball obscene distances, or having a playeresque club. I'm going back to my M565s in irons, holding onto my rescue TP, replacing the shaft in my KE4 (and possibly giving the TEE another chance), and definitely replacing the DCT. I love the DCT, but I just need more loft, I think.

I can NOT use a closed face driver. I am a hooker.

I have 2 9.5* Maltby CT250 heads, one of which is already set up with a 65S VS Proto. This may very well become my gamer...

BUT! It's always nice to explore other options :)

What's on the market in at least 9.5* loft that is square/open? At this point I'm trying to put together a set that will cut me some slack so I can let my course management give me good opportunities, instead of just perfect ballstriking (which I fail at).

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
I sure like Titliest heads... a good looking form. The 905 and the D2 are both traditional looking but with a very good dash of technology. Penetrating ball flights even with high shots. Of course, the shaft you choose is the biggest factor in my opinion.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
FT-i tour head, 9.5*

My onus of proof says its square. :D

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
FT-i tour head, 9.5*

My onus of proof says its square. :D

LOL. But is it literally square, or just theoretically? What is square, really?:ugly25:

On the cheap? 905R, FT-3 Tour. I have an 8.5 FT-3 tour with a Creation for sale. Hits it pretty high for an 8.5.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I have said this before and will say it again, the Cleveland HiBore XL Tour is just purely amazing. I know you said you don't need distance but this thing is a bomber but also forgiving.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have said this before and will say it again, the Cleveland HiBore XL Tour is just purely amazing. I know you said you don't need distance but this thing is a bomber but also forgiving.

+1 on the XL Tour, 3º's open and LOOONNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

And can be found fairly cheap now. I picked up mine used with the VS Proto by You for $99.99 off eBay.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I do not believe one clubhead is longer than another if it is fitted correctly to the player.

That being said, the Hibore XL is looooonnnnggg!!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
is the XL really that good. ?

how is the accuracy/forgiveness?

I've got an opportunity to pick one up cheap.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
is the XL really that good. ?

how is the accuracy/forgiveness?

I've got an opportunity to pick one up cheap.

Yeah, its good. For the money, it is the best, bar none. I had a nice 5 iron into a par five yesterday. Hit a perfect cut to the corner, right where I needed it. Twice as straight as any driver I've hit, and probably 15-20 yards longer for me.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'll agree that it was long. it was longer than my hibore with the stock Red shaft in stiff....but nothing has been able to touch my current hibore as far as accuracy is concerned..and I need all the help I can get in that department.

I would love to add a few yards by updating though if my accuracy won't suffer any.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
...as the good majority of stock shafts are....

the bimatrx wouldn't get pulled from my current hibore until the XL had proved itself as a viable option.....when you sucked at driving for so long and finally found something that works...you need a really good reason to mess with it. lol.

the first shaft that'd get a chance would be the prolaunch 75-x that I've got sitting here doing nothing. i know the shaft doesn't get a huge amount of love here, but it works really well with my swing.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'm one of the few people who really just can't stand a HiBore. That said, I know lots who love em.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i remember when they first came out I was like there's no way I'll be caught dead with something that looked like rosie O'Donnel had stepped on.... but accuracy wins in my book, and the hibore delivers loads of it...hopefully both versions of them.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
i remember when they first came out I was like there's no way I'll be caught dead with something that looked like rosie O'Donnel had stepped on.... but accuracy wins in my book, and the hibore delivers loads of it...hopefully both versions of them.

I'm playing two square drivers, one is the awful Nike.

Not worried on looks.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.