• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A new low

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Well this has been a very VERY depressing weekend for my game. I have been improving almost every round I've had for the last 12 months and after a break of 5 weeks my game completely abandoned me. I don't mean that I just wasn't middling shots and holing putts, I mean I could barely hit a ball! I scored 17 points in a stableford comp on a great course in lovely conditions.

I can't recall ever playing so badly and I have no idea what was happening, I tried everything I knew to try to get back on track and by the 9th I was getting desperate as it was getting embarrassing looking for my ball on every hole.

How the hell does this happen? I felt awful stood over the ball, my tempo was random, my plane was different on every shot and nearly every shot went 45 degrees right with an added bit of slice or about 4/5 were hooked left as I strengthened my grip.

I've been playing for 20 years and I know a lot about the swing yet despite moving my weight onto my right foot more, strengthening my grip, flattening my plane and trying to hold the club face closed (none of which would I recommend to anyone looking for a long term fix), I still made an absolute arse of myself blasting everything right.

I'm gutted. I was honestly thinking that i had a good chance of shooting level par in the next couple of months before this weekend.

Considering taking up the game left handed and relaxing with the lower expectations.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Yup ... know exactly what yer talking about EG. I'd put it solely down to the 5 week break - you do lose the groove. I notice myself when the swing tempo goes missing everything is blocked right - only one thing to do and that's play yourself out of it.

Strange thing is, you never think twice about grip, stance, swing plane when yer playing well. The headwrecking sets in when you look for the quick cure. Give it another round or 2 and you'll be back where you were 5 weeks ago..

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
I can't think of another sport where things like this happen.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet you'll have your game back the next time you go out.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
EnglishGolfer said:
Considering taking up the game left handed and relaxing with the lower expectations.

Take your own advice on this one and it'll come back. Not the left handed part, the relaxing part. :)

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I've been watching clips of my swing from a couple of months ago and whatever has changed is actually too subtle for me to see but the consequences are massive. I might have increased my swing speed a little, more 100mph than the 94 it was previously but that can't be it can it?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
This happened to me a few weeks back. I stood over the ball and felt like I was trying to kill a snake with a stick. Swung like it, too. And the week before I was swinging fine.

I went to the range to try to work it out. It's pretty bad when you solicit advice from the guy who drives the ball picker, but that's what I did. :D He's also the clubmaker and hits the ball really well. Here's what he told me.

SLOW backswing.
Quit trying to hit the ball so hard.
Tempo.
Relax.
Quit casting. Same plane coming down as going up.

This helped a lot. Now I'm hoping he will help me with my putting. :biglol:

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Well if you are slicing and pushing, and you can't see the difference in the video of previsous swings it is probably in the grip or first split second of takeaway. Usually when I have these types of days I can straighten it out by going to the range taking one swing thought with me. The one piece takeaway. Keeping that triangle formed from takeaway puts me back on track. You'll get it back though no doubt.

OP
EnglishGolfer

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
mediaguru said:
5 week break? If I go 5 DAYS my game starts to deteriorate. Play more!

I have been playing once every 3-5 weeks with a visit to the range in between. I only came back to the game a couple of years ago after a 3 year break before which I used to play almost every day of the year (only lightning stopped me!), but then my back couldn't keep up with me so I stopped. When I came back I started playing the best golf of my life straight away! I shot my best ever score in my first competition and but for some twitchy putting near the end when I realised I was within one birdie and two pars of equalling the course record, it would have been awesome. Alas it must have been renewed beginners luck but I know if I get too keen my back will stop me.

On the upside I'm gettin greally good on Tiger Woods on the X-box

🔥 Latest posts