• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A pathetic showing

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
My game from 100 yards and in, that is. I guess that after spending an entire season practicing full-swings, I was bound to have lost a lot of touch and distance control. But still, such a frustrating day on and around the greens.

First hole, my tee shot isn't great, but I have a decent line into the green; uphill, about 90 yards. I hit about 3 inches behind the ball, and the ball goes probably 70 yards. I try to pitch it up and land it just on the fringe and have it trickle towards the hole. Fat again, and the ball still isn't on the green. I grab my 9i to chip it, and I hit it thin and the ball careens across the green. Four putts later, I have an 8.

On the second, I'm on the green in 2, and I have about 20 feet for an eagle. First putt goes off the green, the second comes up about 9 feet short, third grazes the edge, and I sink the fourth.

Third hole, I'm on the green in one (par 3), and two putt for par. Yay.

Fourth hole, my drive is a nice draw, a bit down the left side. My third shot never gets much off the ground, and I have about 60 yards left to the green. I tug the ball a bit, and though I'm on the green, I'm on the top tier and I have about 25' to get to the hole. Three putt for double.

Fifth (par 3), I hit just shy of the green, and have a little uphill shot that I want to land on the fringe and trickle onto the green and towards the hole. Bladed, and screams over the green, stopped only by the backstop of turf behind the green. Two putt bogey 4.

On six, I thought I had things turned around. Perfect tee shot, about 50 yards short of the green (really short par 4). I hit a lovely wedge to about 5 feet. I two putt for par, which bugs me a little, but at least it's a par.

On seven, I piped a beautiful drive down the right side, and hit a crisp 7i towards the green. However, an unlucky bounce sends the ball past the green about 15 yards. With a tree in the way, I can't get a ball in the air, so I tried to chip my hybrid onto the green. I hit it thin, however, and the ball stops about 25' away. Three putt double bogey.

On eight (par 3), it really all fell apart and became comical. With a strong tailwind, I airmail the green and the ball comes to rest under a pine tree. I try to just bump the ball out from under the tree, but hit it right off the very tip of the club, and barely moves. I chop it out, and try to make a nice easy pitch towards the hole. Instead, the ball rolls all the way off the green. Almost chip in on the next shot, but it lips out. One putt later and I have triple.

On nine, I just want to get done with it all. I hit probably my best drive of the day, right down the middle. I have about 220-230 left, so I grab my 4-wood and just want to hit it as close to the green as possible. Instead, my legs must have been tired because I hit probably the ugliest hook I have hit in about three years. I missed the green by about 70 yards to the left. Next shot, fat, goes about 40 yards. Next, great contact, but overshoots the green. A nice chip followed, but I got no check whatsoever and the ball rolled off the green. A chip and a one-putt later, and I finish with a double bogey 7. :bang:

A 52. A freakin' 52. A month ago, I shot 42. My last round of last year was a 40. I haven't shot higher than 50 in over a year. My full shots, for the most part, were wonderful. Except for maybe two or three lousy shots, I haven't hit the ball that well since last years WI Shottalk outing.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I guess I know what I need to practice.

::Sigh::

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. But, at least I didn't have to work today.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Meh. You got the song "Foxtrot, uniform, charlie, kilo" stuck in my head now. Anyway, that's what I suggest to take your mind off this poor round.

🔥 Latest posts