• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A Quandry of Sorts...

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
There are so many non-Americans playing full-/part-time on the PGA Tour, but how many Americans are playing on the Euro tour?

I've seen John Daly on occasion (he actually had to pull out of this week's event), but he's about it.

My question: Why aren't there more Americans on the Euro tour? You see them on the Asian tour, but I couldn't find one American on the board for this week's tournament, and this is the norm.

Is the Euro tour that unattractive to Americans? Are they so obsessed with playing on the PGA, that they would rather go to the Nationwide tour than try their hands in Europe? This makes no sense to me.

ATTENTION EUROS: I MAY BE ABOUT TO OFFEND SOME OF YOU

The caliber of players that make up the majority of the Euro tour is somewhat inferior to that of the PGA tour players. Not being a jerk, merely stating a fact based on world golf rankings and how many of the top players are on each tour. And I'm not saying Euros are inferior player; hell just look at the Ryder Cup, but those cups, for the most part, play a lot on the PGA tour.

That said, if I were an American, with a solid game, but not good enough to get my "Tour" card, I would definitely take a shot at Europe. I figure my chances would be better, and it might be easier to make a living there.

Am I way off base with this assessment?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Not off base at all. Most american players see the EPGA as "inferior", where as in fact, its the next step up from the Nationwide Tour, along with the PGA. The reason the best players play the PGA is the $$$$$. The euro tour has great calibre of players, and alot of the euros stay loyal to their countries/continent, and play the EPGA.

I believe the reason the solid players dont go over, is that theyre too pig headed and want back onto the PGA, so they just go back to mini tours (canadian tour) or the Nationwide Tour trying to get back. (personally, id say the EPGA would be amazing, if your a solid player there, u get more money, lots of exemptions are available into PGA events, and you get to travel the world..... Do you see a downside?)

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Money money money. Thats about it.

Knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Perhaps they just like playing where people keep shouting "GET IN THE HOLE" or YOU'RE THE MAN" every time a player tees off.

Or maybe they just like target golf?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
It is money and family.

The best players play the PGA because that's where the money is.

Next, Americans at least, play the Nationwide as it's a little easier on the homefront. You can see your family and friends more on off weeks without having to fly 12-odd hours to get back.

The way the Nationwide Tour is set up, if you want to get your card you almost have to play every week. If you have the game the Nationwide is the easiest way to get on the PGA, or back on it. (saying you didn't qualify through Q-School) Playing well on the EPGA is playing well on the EPGA. It doesn't get you exemptions on the PGA until you play well enough to get high into the world rankings.

And by that time, you could probably get your PGA card anyway.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Money money money. Thats about it.

Knowing the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Perhaps they just like playing where people keep shouting "GET IN THE HOLE" or YOU'RE THE MAN" every time a player tees off.

Or maybe they just like target golf?

I think we should start a trend among fans at PGA tournements. Every time some idiot yells, "YOU'RE THE MAN", a hundred or so real fans around him should yell, "YOU'RE AN A$$HOLE". And every time they yell, "GET IN THE HOLE", we should yell, "GET OFF THE COURSE, YOU A$$HOLE".

Maybe we can get rid these fools.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It is money and family.

The best players play the PGA because that's where the money is.

Next, Americans at least, play the Nationwide as it's a little easier on the homefront. You can see your family and friends more on off weeks without having to fly 12-odd hours to get back.

Good point. As with all professional athlete's I think we tend to foget these are real people no different from you or I. They just happen to be good enough at a game we play as a hobby to make a living out of it. I'm sure a lot of us could make more $ or be more in demand in our careers elsewhere in the country or world. Also it takes a lot of money to uproot to another country. Where are you going to live, eat, transportation, until you make that first 100K to enable you to keep chasing the dream for a while longer.

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
There are many talented players on the European Tour that don't play well on the US courses. Now if they played there week in week out it would be a different story. On the EPGA you have to adjust every week and I feel that it makes you a better golfer.

🔥 Latest posts