• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A question about "Double D". BBVII

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
I know this is well after the fact,
and if this has already been covered,
I must have missed it.
But...
I was wondering if any of us had been in Don Donatellos' situation,
would you have given up that $5,000.00 to ensure your position in the final four,
or would you have tried to play your way onto it?
And why?

As for me I would've done the same thing he did.
But for different reasons.

I can be very anal, I admit it!!!

Two reasons...
First after winning the car and holding that check I would've said,
"What the Hell, I came here with nothing, so am I really losing anything if I don't win?"
Second...
(Here's the anal part.)
I would've gotten more personal satisfaction by earning my spot then by "buying" my spot in the final four.

And not because my ego wants to show others that I'm not afraid to play!

Then again you could say that check could've been an investment for a much bigger and more rewarding prize.

I was just curious what some of you others would do in the same situation.

Go ahead and rip me now,
I gotta get me another beer!!!!!:laugh:

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I tend to agree with you, the Big Break is a competition and I think that I would want to earn my way in to the next round although he did earn the exemption that he could have taken by winning a previous competition...So I just contradicted myself in one sentence.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
I tend to agree with you, the Big Break is a competition and I think that I would want to earn my way in to the next round although he did earn the exemption that he could have taken by winning a previous competition...So I just contradicted myself in one sentence.
Actually you made perfect sense.
He DID earn the exemption.
So basically he earned the right to buy his way into the final four.

I wasn't rooting for or against him.
But I think it took guts to make the choise he made.
Regardless of his reason.

Of course I'm sure he regrets it now,
and others may think he was stupid.

I for one applaud his decision.:thumbs up:

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I would have done the same thing as DD as he only had to beat one player in order to continue on. At that time, he was the hottest player on the show and should have been able to transfer with zero problem. If he had not let his brain get in the way, he would have been $5000 richer.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I think it would be a very tough decision. One thing I thought about was, if I remember correctly, it was a gift cert. for equipment right?? Not cash?? If that was the case....I would give it up for the exemption....unless you have really outdated stuff and really could use it.

Bottom line he did what he thought was right and he should have moved on it that situation....but his mind got in the way.

Jason

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
One thing I thought about was, if I remember correctly, it was a gift cert. for equipment right?? Not cash??

No, what DD won was $5,000 cash - it's the $10,000 at the end of the series that goes to the winner that is the gift certificate, with the idea that it sets them up with equipment for life on the tour.

From what I can see it seems that Adams are giving them any clubs they fancy anyway, with a lot of them seemingly using the new Adams hybrids at least.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
From what I can see it seems that Adams are giving them any clubs they fancy anyway, with a lot of them seemingly using the new Adams hybrids at least.

You see a lot of Adams head covers, but what lies beneath is different. Since Adams is footing the bill, you can not advertise for a competitor so either you use Adams gear and/or covers or use generic covers (school mascots, etc.) If you watch closely, any item with a competing logo on it will be covered. Check out Tommy Two Golves with the black tape over his golf glove logos. They did the same thing when Bridgestone sponsored the earlier BB's.

While I am sure they have access to any Adams clubs they desire, most are playing with the clubs that they brought. If you check out their profiles on the GC web page you can see what is in their bags.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
...If he had not let his brain get in the way, he would have been $5000 richer.
I agree.
When he made his decision to play he stated that he wanted to show the others that he wasn't afraid to play his way onto the final four.
That pretty much told me that he was playing for the others, not for himself.
I believe he let his mental game and ego beat him by not blocking out the competition and concentrating on his own game.

But with an index of 43.4,
what the Hell do I know????:laugh:

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
I would have traded the check for the exemption in a heart beat. He earned the choice and choosing to skip the elimination would have been earned, no matter how you see it. The goal was to win the whole thing, so why not give yourself the best opportunity to do so?

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
But I think it took guts to make the choise he made.
Regardless of his reason.

There's a fine line between guts and stupidity. With so much riding on that decision, I think his decision (especially considering his reasoning) falls into the latter category...

I would have traded the check for the exemption in a heart beat. He earned the choice and choosing to skip the elimination would have been earned, no matter how you see it. The goal was to win the whole thing, so why not give yourself the best opportunity to do so?

You've nailed it here! The dude has game but he gets too caught up in trying to prove it to others; which makes me think he's still trying to convince himself... I think there's a little forced/fake bravado and that he's fairly insecure about his game underneath it all.

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
There's a fine line between guts and stupidity. With so much riding on that decision, I think his decision (especially considering his reasoning) falls into the latter category...
Exactly!
I feel he probably could've beaten Dave or Mike had he just concentrated on his game.
I honestly don't know about Ahsley, she's pretty tough!
In my humble opinion, had he done that he would've kept the $5,000.00, and had a chance to win the whole thing.
Although I doubt he could've beaten Tommy.

On a very minor scale compared to Big Break,
I've been in some bowling, pool, and dart tournaments in the past.
My attitude always was that,
"I'm not here to beat anybody, I'm here to win".
I know that's sounds convoluted but,
more times than not it worked for me.:thumbs up:

🔥 Latest posts