• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A revelation of sorts

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Not true. With a good ball its as easy as ever to stop a ball on the green. No one is talking about using a 4 iron to get a PW wedge distance. But hitting a smooth 6 instead of a 7 will produce a more controlled flight and more controlled spin. This is a far easier than many people think. Give it a try, go out with only odd or even numbered sticks and see for yourself. The results might surprise even the most diehard of skeptics.

I have to side with Lyle on this 100%. When in between clubs, I used to always prefer to go less and swing harder. Probably in large part that I used to like to swing hard with a quick tempo. Now that my tempo is better and I swing easy, I prefer a club more and swing easy, which many times will result in a shot that may be longer than my normal distance, and will put me past the pin on a good shot. Although with the nature of my game, my ballstriking specifically on my irons has likely the weakest part of my game. So on my bad shots, I still usually will find the green.

So in all relevance, I always say since swinging easy and dropping my tempo this year, my distance has dropped off about 15 yards on my irons and 25 on my woods. Although in all actuality I am not sure how true that is entirely as I am now flying the ball all the way to the cup as opposed to hitting a very uncontrolled shot with a lot of spin that will simply not hit or hold the green. If I hit a 150 yard club poorly and hit the front of the green you likely may end up with a ball that goes 165 off the back. If I fly it to the pin nice and easy, you will likely hold the green. Even a nice controlled 7w will usually sit down within inches of the ballmark, if not hop back a few inches. Even though the 20 percent of the time I hit it perfect and pure the ball, I may face a 20 foot downhill putt and be punished for a perfect shot, I like that the 80% of the time I don't, I will still likely be facing an uphill putt or maybe a chip. Probably the reason I am now hitting 8-9 greens a round instead of 3.5 as of the beginning of this year. I really no longer consider my ballstriking a weak link, even though I am not sure it is a matter of striking the ball better. Just more a matter of playing the odds better.

Although I may now likely face more downhill putts than sidehill chips.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
During my first season, i spent alot of time at the range getting my distances down with every club...however, all my distances were based on the 10%(or less) of shots i made that were pure and straight...

So when i get to the course, i choose the correct club for the job, but since 90% of the time i was mis-hitting i would almost always come up short. I would have probably done better having a half-set and choosing the longer club for the shot.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
That's why we carry more than one wedge, generally. I prefer a full swing for 80 yards versus a half-swing. It's more repeatable.

I have gone the opposite route & have been pretty much relying on a 50º wedge probably 95% of the time. I know my distance with a full swing & have been practicing 1/4, 1/3rd, half swings, etc. Today I was screwing around on the course...had lots of time..& was actually practicing this. I was working mainly on half & 2/3rds swings with it. Was pretty damn happy on the 8th hole when I pitched 3 balls on the green from 80 yds out & they all ended up within 3' of each other.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I go out during the summer without a complete set of clubs. Creativity is the fun part of the game.

For me a true test of the design of the course is if I felt it was necessary to use all 14 clubs in the bag after 18. I've played too many Driver--7/8 iron courses. Gets boring.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I go out during the summer without a complete set of clubs. Creativity is the fun part of the game.

For me a true test of the design of the course is if I felt it was necessary to use all 14 clubs in the bag after 18. I've played too many Driver--7/8 iron courses. Gets boring.
Fun? What is this "fun" you speak of?

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I played last night while my wife walked with me. The tiger putter thread had me try another experiment that was rather fun. I only took a 6 iron, my 60*, my putter, and 3 golf balls. I was really amazed at how little difference this made in my game. I shot a 5 over 41 for 9 holes, and that included a penalty stroke after trying to hit my 6 iron 200 yards over water in 39* temps. Golf truly is a stupid game.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Used to play alot with just one club. Taught me alot about different shots (bump and runs, knockdowns, etc.) and course management. Shot 2 over on nine once with just a 7i, which included being in a greenside bunker that cost me. Granted it was an easy and short course. Would usually go out once every week or two and pick a different club. Probably ought to start doing that again next year, as I haven't done it since we joined up here a couple years ago.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I played last night while my wife walked with me. The tiger putter thread had me try another experiment that was rather fun. I only took a 6 iron, my 60*, my putter, and 3 golf balls. I was really amazed at how little difference this made in my game. I shot a 5 over 41 for 9 holes, and that included a penalty stroke after trying to hit my 6 iron 200 yards over water in 39* temps. Golf truly is a stupid game.
I bet your 'fairways hit' percentage was way up...

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I played last night while my wife walked with me.

7 months pregnant and still walking the course??? Now, that's a lady who must really enjoy spending time with her hubby!!!!!

Some of the best rounds, from a purely "educational" perspective, I've played with a 6-iron and putter. It is amazing how well one can play with just two or three clubs. Put a driver in our hands and we can smash it into the woods... deep! Pry the driver from our white knuckles, replace it with a smooth 6-iron and we're playing from the short grass. Learn to hit the smooth an iron to a specific distance or chip with that same iron. Learn you can choke up on an iron. Learn you can punch an iron. It just makes sense... but...

Too often, I am trying to decide what clubs to leave in the basement/truck to get down to 14. My 'ho mind wants the max club count raised in the Rules of Golf to somewhere between 20 and 40. My "perfect" bag set up would be:

3 drivers
4 fairway woods
5 or 6 hybrids
1 set 3-PW perimeter weighted, game improvement irons for when that shot MUST go perfectly straight.
1 set 3-PW blades for when I want to draw a 6-iron around a tree to a green.
At least 8 wedges of varying bounce angles, groove design, and lofts.
3 putters... (All Scotty's)... just to show off!!

There, I think that's an even 40. Now, can I get someone to carry my bag for me from the truck to the cart????

🔥 Latest posts