• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

A tribute to Rory McIlroy - US Open Champion 2011

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
[video]http://youtu.be/5zlP3UMywZ8[/video]

OK, ok, I know it's a bit over the top, but the music is excellent, the images are surreal and he is from "our wee country". I love the shots of the members in Holywood Golf Club, Rory's home club, who stayed up to 1am watch the final night's golf.

There has been a great reaction back home to Rory's success. Just what we need right now, a truly great champion. I'm really proud to be from Nothern Ireland right now.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
You should be proud. Stay tuned there is more to come.

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see The Open.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
Great video. The only part I didn't like was Harrington's quote. "If you are going to talk about someone challenging Jack's record, there's your man." Don't get me wrong, I would love to see someone in my lifetime break a huge record like that (I was 2 when Jack got his 18th). I could watch that swing all day.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
OK - I love Rory, his swing is awesome, like I said before, my favorite on tour... but this win, was just another tournament IMO - just because the way the course was set up and there were like 20 guys under par... kinda like when Tiger destroyed Hoylake.

I'm happy for you Irish folk... just like I was happy for my friends that are Bruins fans :)

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
They made a good point on Morning Drive this morning. The course in every past championship played at par 70 not 71. If you adjust for this there are only 8 people under par, and Rory only ties tiger's -12. Even still he wins by 8 shots. It was a low scoring open, but that was a factor of the weather more than anything, combined with some questionable pin placements at the base of ridges. I think that once the USGA people saw how low and well Rory was playing they decided that the weekend would be about how low could they get him in an "Open." And could they bring other people back into the picture with easier pin placements. To say that this wasn't a US Open because the winner wasn't +3 is idiotic. The pressure to perform in the Majors is there no matter how hard or easy the course is playing. The fact of the matter is that Rory played near flawless golf, and beat the best players in the world by 8 or more strokes. Now does this mean that I think he is as good as Tiger or that this was as impressive as the 2000 Open? Absolutely NOT!! But does Rory deserve more respect for how well he played than people are giving him? Yes! He also doesn't deserve the pressure of being "the next Tiger or Jack." I am just happy to see how many young players we have winning. And honestly I am glad to see that they are almost all international players. Maybe this will get the USGA's head out of its Ass about tournament requirements and limits. Every tournament should have the ability to attract the best players in the world no matter what tour they are members of.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
They made a good point on Morning Drive this morning. The course in every past championship played at par 70 not 71. If you adjust for this there are only 8 people under par, and Rory only ties tiger's -12. Even still he wins by 8 shots. It was a low scoring open, but that was a factor of the weather more than anything, combined with some questionable pin placements at the base of ridges. I think that once the USGA people saw how low and well Rory was playing they decided that the weekend would be about how low could they get him in an "Open." And could they bring other people back into the picture with easier pin placements. To say that this wasn't a US Open because the winner wasn't +3 is idiotic. The pressure to perform in the Majors is there no matter how hard or easy the course is playing. The fact of the matter is that Rory played near flawless golf, and beat the best players in the world by 8 or more strokes. Now does this mean that I think he is as good as Tiger or that this was as impressive as the 2000 Open? Absolutely NOT!! But does Rory deserve more respect for how well he played than people are giving him? Yes! He also doesn't deserve the pressure of being "the next Tiger or Jack." I am just happy to see how many young players we have winning. And honestly I am glad to see that they are almost all international players. Maybe this will get the USGA's head out of its Ass about tournament requirements and limits. Every tournament should have the ability to attract the best players in the world no matter what tour they are members of.

Dude was hitting wedges every other hole into the greens - sorry, just not open like IMO.

I give him full credit - he played great. My point is that the course was playing too easy. One of the hardest holes was a 180 yard par 3.

Pinehurst this is not.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Dude was hitting wedges every other hole into the greens - sorry, just not open like IMO.

I give him full credit - he played great. My point is that the course was playing too easy. One of the hardest holes was a 180 yard par 3.

Pinehurst this is not.

Well at Augusta it's a 150 yard par 3.......while Congressional didn't bare it's teeth last week it was hardly a pushover, I know what you mean VT and I know you're not trying to belittle Rory's achievement but to call it "just another tournament" is going a bit far.

I take it you are referring to the 10th? First shot of the day was pretty daunting I would say and it was Rory's first hole of the tournament and right there you saw a great swing that he maintained for 4 days with barely a blemish. After what happened just a few weeks ago that says more about this guy than any winning score could ever do. I rate it as the best major performance for 11 years.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
but to call it "just another tournament" is going a bit far.

If it weren't for the candy apple red flags and Johnny Miller doing the call and I tuned in mid stream to see guys hitting every shot from 127 yards - I could have easily mistaken this for the Greater Hartford Open

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
If it weren't for the candy apple red flags and Johnny Miller doing the call and I tuned in mid stream to see guys hitting every shot from 127 yards - I could have easily mistaken this for the Greater Hartford Open

No matter how easy the conditions, you still have Major Championship pressure. Not to mention, the added pressure Rory delt with of battling all the demons from the collapse at Augusta. My hats off to the wee lad. :)

Plus, think about this...the rough may have been thin, but Rory was never in it anyway. There may have been more space between him and the field if the rough had been brutal.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
My hats off to him also. Worthy champion, he played great... none of which is the point I am trying to make.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm sorry but I saw this coming at the Masters. This young man looked just too good to not come roaring back and win a major. Too dominating. When someone his age can hit shots like that with the most beautiful swing I've ever seen (I always hated Tiger's swing or swings) with a calm about him that probably is based on extreme confidence I knew we were going to have a new "fresh" star.

Bravo Rory!!

(Anyone know how tall he is? He doesn't look that small to me).....

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online