• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Absolute minimun number of clubs...

number of clubs needed

Votes: 3 11.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 2 7.7%

Votes: 1 3.8%

Votes: 6 23.1%

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
that you think you need to play a decent round of golf.

I think I could play close to my average score with 4:

3 wood
6 iron
SW
putter

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
To play good I need my driver distance. I rarely tee off with my 3wood.

I would go
Driver
21* hybrid
6 or 7 iron
PW
Putter

I could get a decent score with that.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
The best scores I've shot in the last five years were the few rounds I played with:

4 hybrid
6 iron
8 iron
GW
Putter

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
Now granted I'm not very good but I can shoot a decent score (for me) with 3.

3 hybrid
7 iron
60 degree

I can put pretty well with both the 7 and the 60.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I said three, although I would do even better with 4. I say this because I have seen how well I can play with only a 7i as I used to do it a number of times in the evenings to practice course management and different shots. Nice to be faced with say a 180 yards with water to carry on a par 4 for a second shot and having to execute a lay up that will give you a full 7i to the green. Improves all aspects of your game, even your putting when you realize how easy you have it when you go back and have a flat faced putter and not a blade to putt with. Did not even carry a putter and once finished 2 under after five and 9 over after 9 on a fairly easy course. Had I not found a greenside bunker and had to play out with a 7i I may have finished even.

I would bargain to guess that with a 7i, GW and putter I could always play a decent round of golf. If I were to throw in a 7w I could likely shoot as well as I Average now at least part of the time.

Plan on going back to doing it again this year for the first time in about six years as we joined a course where I will be permitted to walk in the evenings. Great feeling going out with just a couple balls and tees in your pocket, a glove, and a 7i in hand.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The best scores I've shot in the last five years were the few rounds I played with:

4 hybrid
6 iron
8 iron
GW
Putter

I like your thinking here though I voted 3 clubs but now that I think about it more, I think four is my real answer. The only thing I would pull off this list is the putter. I'd blade an iron or use the hybrid.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I already know the answer for me & it's 3.

6iron
pw
putter.

I shot within 3 strokes of my normal rd so felt that was fantastic. If I would have added something like a 4w or 3h than I really don't think there would have been any difference at all.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
driver
3h hybrid
6 iron
wedge (probably 50 maybe pw)
putter

these are the clubs i use most

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Driver, 7 iron and pitching wedge.

You might be surprised how well you can putt with the blade of a wedge.

🔥 Latest posts