• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accenture coverage SUCKS ASS!!!!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Hmmm, I was 22/10 on Round 1.

I felt sure Cabrera was going to pull it out over Phil. I would love to know what goes through Phil's mind sometimes. Does even Phil know what goes through his mind? :)

Sergio. Wow.

Padraig. Double wow.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I "kinda" disagree with this particular statement...but with a condition, as it applies here...

Can you guys really blame TGC for this? If you were in their place would you really do anything different? I would bet that tons of people that normally don't watch golf, or rarely do, are paying close attention to this tournament, for one reason: Tiger!

...My disagreement is Tiger attracts the large, semi-serious golf community...This episode was aired on the Golf Channel...which is a premium offer in cable/satellite networks.

This channel is more aimed at the overall golf enthusiasts..who are willing to PAY to see golf...not just Tiger.

Now, if this redundancy of seeing Tiger (like yesterday they showed him sinking a 7' putt FIVE FREAKING TIMES IN A ROW) was done on network Television that caters to the masses, then I would understand the glujttony of Tiger exposure...but on the Golf Channel, I think it should have been more balanced.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
think I'll go watch Real Madrid stuff Liverpool (hopefully).

WOW. Really not your couple of days MG.
ManU draw
'Pool win.
Piss poor coverage on the matchplay.

All you'd need to top it off is a pair of wins from the Gooners and Chelski and that would really wind you up.... Oh...... Never mind.... :eek: :D

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Hmmm, I was 22/10 on Round 1.

I felt sure Cabrera was going to pull it out over Phil. I would love to know what goes through Phil's mind sometimes. Does even Phil know what goes through his mind? :)

Sergio. Wow.

Padraig. Double wow.

What the hell was going thru Carbrera's mind on #17 & #18???

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
The first little while seemed like it was solely focused on Tiger... I thought after a while the divided it up pretty well.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I watched the primetime last night and thought they did an ok job. I got to see enough of Phil and Angel to know what was going on. Some of it did suck......the kid that beat Sergio.....I don't remember seeing any of that until he was 3-up. When I got tired of watching Tiger I just turned it to some College BBall.

Does anybody know when the third place match is played?? Is it during the first 18 of the final or the last?? I am just wondering how much of that match we will see if Tiger makes the final.

On another note after watching Tigerfest yesterday do you think he makes the final?? I say he gets dumped in the early matches on friday.

Jason

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
You can't but laugh when the respected media output the banner headline "The Messiah Returns" ... well in fairness the original lad only did 40 days in the wilderness Tiger did over 240 ...... coincidence or not ... They both got back before Easter ? Wowww .... He's not the messiah, he's Tiger and he's been a very naughty boy" ... "Tiger get in and tidy your room up"

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Good points from all, but one thing is for sure. Golf is suffering a bit right now just like everyone else on the planet. The Tour has missed him, tournament coverage was down in his absence and I think a lot of us missed watching him.

The Tour has lots of other great stories for sure, but for my taste it was really kind of boring the past several months. I was happy to watch Tiger play last night and no one can deny he is the biggest draw in the game. When he is there viewership is up, when he is not it's way way down.

You can't make everyone happy even a small part of the time, but had TGC not shown a lot of him there would be infinitely more screaming I believe.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Good points from all, but one thing is for sure. Golf is suffering a bit right now just like everyone else on the planet. The Tour has missed him, tournament coverage was down in his absence and I think a lot of us missed watching him.

Just out of curiosity, the LPGA is also on the rocks right now; is that due to Tiger's absence as well?

The Tour has lots of other great stories for sure, but for my taste it was really kind of boring the past several months. I was happy to watch Tiger play last night and no one can deny he is the biggest draw in the game. When he is there viewership is up, when he is not it's way way down.

You can't make everyone happy even a small part of the time, but had TGC not shown a lot of him there would be infinitely more screaming I believe.

golf.com said:
Bucking the ratings trend, the Orlando Sentinel reported that the Golf Channel has experienced 5% ratings growth this year for tournaments that Tiger was absent from in both 2007 and '08. Maybe hardcore fans are looking for the stars of tomorrow. For TV's sake, one of them better be named Tiger.

Network TV should show Tiger as much as possible, in their own interest. He's the only guy who will stop a channel-surfer on a golf, between the basketball game and the race.

TGC, on the other hand, is making a huge mistake. The people who are watching golf on a Wednesday afternoon are not causal fans interested in a cult following, for the most part.

Not to mention that basing your entire sport on one guy has enormous risk. What happens when the inevitable steriod allegations come out? ( You must admit, every other professional athlete who went from lanky and thin in the late nineties to solidly muscular a few years later, was doping. ) Or if he blows out his knee again, etc.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Considering it was his comeback... I thought they did a good job. Camillo's round was just about over by the time coverage started. I personally don't think there are very many great stories in golf right now. Phil has always been an ongoing story cause of his up and downness. Rory could be a big story come the end of the year. Other than that it's much of the same. Oh yeah I am really looking forward to the Zach and Phil match. Two of my fav's.

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Just out of curiosity, the LPGA is also on the rocks right now; is that due to Tiger's absence as well?

Network TV should show Tiger as much as possible, in their own interest. He's the only guy who will stop a channel-surfer on a golf, between the basketball game and the race.

TGC, on the other hand, is making a huge mistake. The people who are watching golf on a Wednesday afternoon are not causal fans interested in a cult following, for the most part.

Not to mention that basing your entire sport on one guy has enormous risk. What happens when the inevitable steriod allegations come out? ( You must admit, every other professional athlete who went from lanky and thin in the late nineties to solidly muscular a few years later, was doping. ) Or if he blows out his knee again, etc.

I'm not sure if you read the entire sentence, but I said 'just like the rest of the world'. Yes, the LPGA is hurting, but as I said the rest of the world is hurting too. Airing Tiger could only help the PGA Tour right now. It CANNOT hurt to give the masses what they have been longing for which is a glimpse of Tiger. I'm not sure how you drew the conclusion that I'm basing the downturn in golf completely due to Tiger's absence. Golf is hurting period. Having Tiger back isn't going to hurt the situation, at least not for the PGA Tour. I still can't watch the LPGA and not fall asleep.

Sure you have a point there about Wednesday golfers, but it's not indicative of the world in my opinion. However, I do find it odd that the entire clubhouse at Avila was glued to the TV set yesterday while it was 75 degrees w/o a cloud in the sky. EVERYONE was dying to see Tiger and I found myself skipping out on practicing to watch him while I commiserated with about 30+ other die hard golf fans about how great it was to see him back.

It's not Tiger's fault for being the biggest draw in the game. TGC is in the golf business and that includes viewership. Perhaps you should buy out Arnold Palmer and run the station the way you see fit?

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
. Other than that it's much of the same. Oh yeah I am really looking forward to the Zach and Phil match. Two of my fav's.

Hope you manage to see a shot or two from it but more likely your'll see the odd putt for birdie or a chip in!

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
As for the Coverage I think Mr Palmer and his staff who run TGC should take a look at the BBC's coverage of the British Open. The genral Coverage is superb they show as much golf as they can and keep the idle banter down to a minimum. You get a taste of whats happening on the course and see how different players tackle the same conditions, then you can appreciate how good the golf your watching really is. They also have an interactive menu which is superb. You can pick from 4 or 5 options. there's the stadard coverage or you can pick a group to follow for there full 18 holes seeing each shot from each player in that group (so the Tiger lovers can just watch Tigers group). You can choose a hole to watch and see everyone in the field play through that hole. Another choice is the highlights of the day so you can see all the great shots from everybody. Id like to see more use of the Tracer thingy they have and the super slow mo camera's...I like seeing everybody's swing and how they get through the ball in detail it's superb :)

🔥 Latest posts