• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accenture Match Play

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Really looking forwards to this one.

I love match play. You're not just playing the course, you're directly competing against another golfer as well. There are mind games in match play that just aren't applicable to stroke play. You can't make up for a bad opening round by playing better the next day. There is pressure from the first tee.

The brackets are available on the pga site.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
A renewed interest this year.

Last year it was fishing/boating. The year before that it was motorcycling. This year it's golf. lol

Once I can start playing, the watching it on TV should subside....but i'm also trying ot stimulate some conversation here...pretty stale lately.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
A renewed interest this year.

Last year it was fishing/boating. The year before that it was motorcycling. This year it's golf. lol

Once I can start playing, the watching it on TV should subside....but i'm also trying ot stimulate some conversation here...pretty stale lately.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I dropped the clubs for salmon fishing last year, but I got the itch now somethin fierce. And yes, it has been stale lately. You are tryin for sure though!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
E, given the lack of match play these days, I love this event.

My tip? Geoff Ogilvy has proved a master at this event. He's always one to watch out for.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
E, given the lack of match play these days, I love this event.

My tip? Geoff Ogilvy has proved a master at this event. He's always one to watch out for.

I find match play to be so much more entertaining than stroke play...i really wonder why there isn't more match play tournaments....

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I find match play to be so much more entertaining than stroke play...i really wonder why there isn't more match play tournaments....
I agree, and I've wondered the same thing myself. Is it less conducive to TV coverage? Does it bring lower ratings than stroke play, or lower attendance from players or crowds?

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I agree, and I've wondered the same thing myself. Is it less conducive to TV coverage? Does it bring lower ratings than stroke play, or lower attendance from players or crowds?

Probably a little bit of all of it. At the end, there is only one group to watch...and filling time while they're walking is difficult. Also there is a real possibility that after the first day, you could have no big names in your tournament. You could also have two complete unknowns going for the title...and that just doesn't typically draw crowds. So ratings that are in the dumpster is a real concern as well as low turnout to see the tournament.

Where as in a Stroke play, you're typically going to have several big names playing all weekend drawing crowds.

So i can see why they don't have more match play on tour, but I sure like it.

EDIT: This may also be one of those 'grass is always greener' things too. Because we only get a couple match play events, we like them more. If it was all match play, and only a few stroke play events, we would probably want to see more stroke play.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
There could be some "interesting" matches. Stanley and Snedeker could be matched. Didn't one of them upchuck a couple weeks ago, giving the other a win? We could see Sergio matched against Keegan Bradley. One has pretty well cured himself of "twitches"... the other has just developed them. And, we could see Westwood against Darren Clarke. These two are really good friends and that could be a good match.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
There could be some "interesting" matches. Stanley and Snedeker could be matched. Didn't one of them upchuck a couple weeks ago, giving the other a win? We could see Sergio matched against Keegan Bradley. One has pretty well cured himself of "twitches"... the other has just developed them. And, we could see Westwood against Darren Clarke. These two are really good friends and that could be a good match.

Whats with Keegan's spitting anyway?

I don't really care what they do, but I don't know how that guy can spit so much during a round. He probably spits 5-10 times per shot. It's part of his pre-shot routine. I would have cotton mouth so bad i couldn't stand it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Whats with Keegan's spitting anyway?

I don't really care what they do, but I don't know how that guy can spit so much during a round. He probably spits 5-10 times per shot. It's part of his pre-shot routine. I would have cotton mouth so bad i couldn't stand it.

Its funny, I was watching him do it and thinking the same thing. Then one of the announcers, (McCord I think) even said something about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the PGA didn't uhhh, mention it to him.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
As far as the original post, I enjoy match play also. But like you said Eric, if we were fed a steady diet of it, we'd probably long for more stroke play matches. I'm sure there are some well educated higher ups that have done their homework and think they have found the right mixture.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Why don't we see more match play?? Because Sunday television can be forced to broadcast a Ishikawa vs. Bella match or a Hansen vs. Chalmers match or a Yantzee vs. Quiros match. In addition to these matches having a viewing audience equal to the population of Weenieville, Kansas... the final match can be over in 10 holes. A network blocks out the typcial 3 hours for viewing the last of the final round and it's over before they even begin the telecast.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
So who does everyone like? Match play events are so hard to pick a winner. Seems like the No 1 seeds always bomb out early. I'll shoot from the hip and go with Keegan Bradley. And I really hope him and McIlroy both make it to the 3rd round. I would love to see that match up. Another good 3rd round match up would be Tiger and Westwood.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I love match play! Both playing it and watching. I think there should be more of it at the professional level.

🔥 Latest posts