• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Accenture Match Play

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'll give Bill Haas a good chance this weekend...He's playing pretty well.

I'd like to see Stricker get a few rounds in, because I like to root for the home town guys!

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'll give Bill Haas a good chance this weekend...He's playing pretty well.

I'd like to see Stricker get a few rounds in, because I like to root for the home town guys!

I would love to see him do well. He's tough in match play. It's hard to beat a guy who putts as well as he does and rarely misses a fairway. Have we seen him since he won earlier this year? I haven't noticed him on the leader boards lately.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I would love to see him do well. He's tough in match play. It's hard to beat a guy who putts as well as he does and rarely misses a fairway. Have we seen him since he won earlier this year? I haven't noticed him on the leader boards lately.

I believe this will be only his 3rd entry this year.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Its funny, I was watching him do it and thinking the same thing. Then one of the announcers, (McCord I think) even said something about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the PGA didn't uhhh, mention it to him.
This just in: Keegan apologizes. Heh.

As far as match play goes, once again... you just can't count Tiger out.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Tiger can't putt under pressure. If he can play well enough to beat guys 5&4 or 4&3, then he'll go far. Otherwise he's finished if it comes down to making putts on 17 and 18.

Also, Tiger's track record in this event is less than stellar. As the NUMBER ONE player in the world, he lost to the 64 seed in the first round. Not once, TWICE.

I like that my boy Watney gets a bye in the first round. Has Clarke swung a club since the Open?

You don't see more match play for all the reasons listed above PLUS it's glacially slow. If you play match play correctly, you are always trying to get your opponent to wait.

Tortoises that can putt are extremely dangerous in this format. Bradley and Crane come to mind. Nobody is going to "out-slow" either of them.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Donald and Ogilvy in the final. Ogilvy has to get past Bradley, and when Ogilvy plays bad in this event, it's usually the first round. Everything after that he most often dominates. Bradley's playoff loss just a few days ago, then travel etc. should keep him from playing his best in the first round, so the match should be close.

Of all the first round matchups, the only two I'd really like to watch are Ogilvy/Bradley and Simpson/Mannasero.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Also, Tiger's track record in this event is less than stellar. As the NUMBER ONE player in the world, he lost to the 64 seed in the first round. Not once, TWICE.
This is a great example of the main reason I like match play: it completely changes the focus of the players. When you can play 18 and only worry about your round, like most guys can in the early rounds, you can basically play distraction free. But, when you have to beat the guy your playing with to advance, it changes your focus. Do you really think ANY 64 seed could have beat Tiger when he was W#1 in stroke play? No. But, in match play it's not unusual for the lower ranked players to take out a few of the top ranked players.

I also agree with the "grass is greener" theory eclark mentioned.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This is a great example of the main reason I like match play: it completely changes the focus of the players. When you can play 18 and only worry about your round, like most guys can in the early rounds, you can basically play distraction free. But, when you have to beat the guy your playing with to advance, it changes your focus. Do you really think ANY 64 seed could have beat Tiger when he was W#1 in stroke play? No. But, in match play it's not unusual for the lower ranked players to take out a few of the top ranked players.

I also agree with the "grass is greener" theory eclark mentioned.

Also...players have good rounds, bad rounds, good front 9's, bad fronts, good backs, bad backs, even down to good tee shots and bad tee shots.

Match play determines whose better on that course, on that day, at that time. A player that can barely hang on to his card, can go out and beat tiger on 10 holes and knock him out of the tournament. I don't think that's a credit to how good or bad either one of them are, it just tells us that at that point, he was playing better golf than Tiger was.

It's more of a snapshot in time, match play is. Stroke play, rather, is a story. Thus, each year of the PGA would be a chapter in the book of the PGA tour itself. Which is it's own section of the entire novel on golf. That's deep man....

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Tiger wins his first match.

14 seed Ryo Ishikawa beat 3 seed Bill Haas

Y.E. Yang also beat the 3 seed Graeme McDowell

1 seeds Kaymer and Westwood are 2 and 3 up respectively about halfway through the back nine.

The other 1 seeds Donald and McIlroy are 2 and 1 down at the turn currently.

13 Kyle Stanley beat 4 KJ Choi....

Seems 13 is the lucky number in this event...the 4th 13 seed is also up by 1 in his match through 16

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
The chances are very slim, but I hope Tiger wins this tournament. Winning this one would be just what he needs to get back on track. Not that he's even playing bad golf. Bad for Tiger maybe. Come to think of it i'd actually like to see Steve Stricker win. If not Stricker then Tiger.

🔥 Latest posts