• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Acer XP905 Pro Series = In MY Bag

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
So I'm officially a obsessive ho.

Had a set of new Standard Rifle 0.370" shafts (5.5) I bought before TT bought out Royal Precision. $70 shipped. Lyle/MGP have good things to say about Acer XP905 iron heads (Hirekogolf.com) which are 0.370 hosel size. BINGO!!! 5 iron thru PW $50 shipped. Sharpro combo grips $3 apiece (thanks for tip on this Lyle). Ferrule $1 apiece. So we have a set of irons for $144. OK I'm a cheap ho but a ho none the less:laugh:

Cut and glue took place Weds. Took clubs out Thurs for 4 holes right after 1" down pour rain at my local 9 hole course. Then again Friday for 18 at a classy course. Lake Arrowhead (The Lakes course).

Appearance: Nice clean looking irons. Callaway X 18/20 look to them. Small compact head. Very little offset. 1/2" over standard length so about D6 swing weight. My gamers are offset oversized head Hogan CFTs so this is big change for me.

Impressions: Thursday I just took just these irons out so I could max out the amount of times I hit them. First two shots with a 5 iron were big sweeping draws. Not a hook but close. Also a bit harsh feeling. The draw was large enough to get my attention. These are "player's irons" and a sloppy, lazy swing will not do. So I cleaned up my positure and fundementals. Straight shots now were the rule. Still a bit harsher than my gamers but I think this is a function of the shaft -Rifle vs PX Rifle.
The trajectory was 2 clubs lower than my gamers. (I have always been a high ball hitter to a fault) Initial thought this lower ball flight was going to indicate a shorter dissappointing distance. Nope. If anything I'm longer. Approaches to the greens were accurate, good distance control on 1/2, 3/4, and full swings. Last hole I placed the ball next to the 150 yard and hit 8 iron into the green. Then hit back to the 150 marker. (only had 1 ball, no bag-- just a hand full of clubs). Did this 6 -7 times. Again ball flight was low. As I watched first ball go into green I thought I was going to be well short. Again nope. I was at 156 yards with ball resting 2 feet past ball mark. My stock 8 iron is 148 yard with much higher ball flight. The same experience with the rest of the shots.

This new ball flight is good. I've been trying to bring my irons down through swing changes with meager results. These irons are magic. After sleeping on it I took them out for 18 holes on a course with hard fast green that are multi tiered. A real challenge for approach shots. I have been swinging in the zone for the last two weeks but this was the zone "squared". The harshness was almost gone. The irons were spot on. Entered the green low but stayed put after landing. Shot a even par 72 with 1 bird and 1 bogy. Putting was very average. Bogy was the result of a par 3 hybrid tee shot I drew into a short sided ,sloping away green, sand trap. Opps.
I am not an accomplished enough golfer to attempt using the shot shaping abilities of these irons however I can recognize their potential to be quite workable.

In my bag for now. Looks like I am going to play 18 with sssmokin tomorrow at WCC and 18 with Wi-Golfer at Northern Bay on Sunday. We will see if they continue to be magic or maybe they are fools gold:confused:

Changes I perhaps would make. Project X shafts 5.5 soft stepped or a nice set of graphites. At 55 y.o. my wrists and forearms are a bit too sensitive to the shock of hitting the ball. Clean shots are sweet but any mishit involves vibartions sent up through the shaft. (I play without a glove). With the smaller heads it is easier strike the ball off center.

But for $144 for a new set of toys I am in happy land.:laugh:

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
WTG Zaphod, sounds like for a little of nothing you've made yourself a great set of irons.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Good review Zaphod. I notice that UST has their new V2 iron shafts out. I think those would be killer for you. They ain't cheap though.

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
ERACER SAID: Good review Zaphod. I notice that UST has their new V2 iron shafts out. I think those would be killer for you. They ain't cheap though.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

They are cheap if they prevent forearm and wrist pain. Thanks will take a peek at them.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I really like the SK Fibers I put in my Mizunos, and you can find sets of them on Fleabay for reasonable prices. The ones I bought were taper tip, but they make parallel tips as well.

www.myostrichgolf.com carries them as well.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
If you are looking for some nice, reasonably priced graphite iron shafts take a look at the Golfsmith Carbon Stick shafts. I built a set of irons with them when I was having problems with my elbow last year and was really surprised how nice they were. I think they are on sale right now too.

I figured you'd like the XP905 Pro heads too. Darn nice heads for the money and very playable.

Edit: Yep, the GS Carbon Stick shafts are on sale. This is the same price I paid for them last year. Golfsmith Carbon Stick Iron Shafts

OP
zaphod

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Just another quick comment. The more I play these irons the better they feel. Played at Northern Bay (one of the better course in Wisconsin today).
These irons were nothing but sweet. Full and partial swing had good distance control. 35-40 mph wind gusts so the lower trajectory was welcomed. The harshness is dissipating as I get used to the clubs.

The reduced offset allows for more creativity. These irons just inspire confidence as I address the ball. Unexpected feeling as the shorter blade length would lend one to believe just the opposite. Not one iron shot today where the trajectory, distance, or shot shape was disappointing. Misses were easily explained by wind or my alignment. As I meld more with the irons alignment and feel should only get better.

Members online

No members online now.