• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adam Scott: 'I Hit a Lot of Good Putts'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
ADAM SCOTT WON THE HONDA CLASSIC on Sunday with his usual solid long game and -- surprise! -- a trusty short putter. PGA National, with the vaunted "Bear Trap," is a ball striker's layout. Scott and his Sunday playing partner Sergio Garcia are among the best in the business.

But who knew Scott, who hasn't won on the PGA Tour since Colonial in May 2014, would putt so well with a short stick?

During the anchored-stroke debate in recent years, you would have thought from the reactions of Scott and others that their golf careers would be all but over if a ban went into effect. WRONG. Or at least wrong based on recent evidence.

I continue to marvel at the ability of Scott and his tour brethren to adapt.

"I hit a lot of good putts, not as many went in as yesterday," Scott told Golf Channel's Steve Sands after tapping in for an even-par 70 and a 9-under winning total.

"But this is a tough track. It is hard to get it close all the time. I played exceptional yesterday so I had to reel in my expectations today, the pressure of Sunday. I got off to a good start, made one on the first and that definitely relaxed me. I hit a lot of good putts. Some didn't go in, [but] fortunately it was enough in the end."

Runnerup Garcia finished one stroke behind Scott after a 1-over-par 71.

"He just didn't have it," said NBC golf analyst Johnny Miller. "The pressure got to him, let's face it. That's what it was."

Of course, Sergio didn't see it that way, saying, "Obviously there are a lot of positives. I fought hard. I felt like I stayed quite calm. It's tough; it's never easy. But I gave it my all. Unfortunately a couple of bad shots on a couple of difficult holes and I wasn’t good enough."

The victory lifted Scott to No. 9 in the Official World Golf Ranking, which is not the only thing moving in the right direction, according to the Aussie.

"My game is coming to a really good spot," Scott added, "the back end of last year and now starting out this year. We've been working hard to get it there because it was slipping a little bit. It was a bit loose last year. The consistency wasn't there. I've made some nice progress in all areas, especially on the greens and it paid off this week."

Source: Adam Scott: 'I Hit a Lot of Good Putts'

🔥 Latest posts