• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adam Scott on Putter Switch: 'No Big Deal'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
REMEMBER THAT NOISY ARGUMENT THE GOLF WORLD had about anchoring the putter? How could we forget? It has now mostly faded into silence as the 2016 ban is less than a year ago.

One interesting development is how well some of the anchor men are transitioning to the short putter, including those young and relatively young major winners: Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson and Adam Scott.

ESPN Golf's Bob Harig talked about the issue in his Birdies & Bogeys column entitled "Anchor ban might go smoother than thought." One recent example is Adam Scott, who sank 90 percent of his putts from 10 feet and in with the short stick at last week's WGC-Cadillac Championship. The 2013 Masters champion had just one 3-putt for the week.

[Spoof from archives: God puts long putter in bag]

"It's been feeling good," Scott said. "I've enjoyed doing it. It's no big deal. Don't forget, I did it this way for a long time."

No big deal. Huh. How about that?

Added Scott: "I can think back to some really good memories putting with a short one and making some really important putts."

Bradley and Simpson also seem to be doing OK after moving away from their belly putters. As Harig mentioned, Simpson intentionally broke his belly putter over his knee so he wouldn't use it again. His wife prevented him from throwing the putter away because it had been such an important part of Simpson's success. The broken putter now has a place in the golfer's trophy case.

Even Carl Pettersson, who had been anchoring since 1997, seems to be surviving the change.

"It has gone better than I expected," Pettersson said. "I feel relatively comfortable."

He is far from giddy, though.

"But I still think it's a bad rule."

Source: Adam Scott on Putter Switch: 'No Big Deal'

Members online

No members online now.