• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adams A7OS vs Adams A7OSMAX

cypressc

Jan 28, 2011
Today I went out to demo some Adams A7OS irons. I took out an 8 iron and a 5 hybrid on the range, and was absolutely shocked at how ridiculously easy it was to hit the ball straight, and my distance was up 1-2 club lengths over my normal shots. I guess there's something to be said for modern club technology. After hitting a bucket of spine-tingling gorgeous shots, I realized that they were actually the Adams A7OS "Max" set. Returning to the pro shop, I compared the Max version to the regular OS version, and didn't find a huge difference. Both sets are super-game-improvement. But the MAX set is a set of all-hybrids, with hybrid-like short/mid irons in addition to the 3,4,5 hybrids, where there "standard" OS set has cavity back short irons, hybrid-esque 6/7 iron, and standard long hybrids.

My question: Does anyone have any experience demoing both sets (I ran out of time and didn't get to compare)? What should I be looking for in trying to make a decision?

Background: I've played golf 5-6 times a year for the past 25 years. I've finally had the chance to join a club and get a handicap and want to improve my game. My irons are circa-1990 Ping-knockoff cavity backs. They're rather heavy, plus I could probably use some upgraded technology. I'm not a bad ball striker, and I don't have a problem getting the ball in the air and my distance is fine.. but my good shots rarely come in a row (except on the range), I'm not a great putter on the fast greens of my new club, so my club handicap is at 30 (with about 10 strokes per round of penalties for out-of-bounds shots on a rather unforgiving, narrow course with slope 136.). This will be my first full season where I expect to get in 40-60 rounds.

Does anyone know how the hybrid short-irons perform vs. deep cavity super-game-improvement short irons? Or are they really hybrids at all? (they kinda look like cavity backs with a plastic wall covering the cavity to give a hybrid-like appearance) Clearly at my handicap level, I probably need one of these two sets, but I'm wondering how much difference there really is beyond appearance at address.

Any help appreciated.

For reference:

A7OSMAX:
awww.adamsgolf.com_images_technology_Idea_a7OSmax_20transition_20callout.jpg

A7OS:
awww.adamsgolf.com_images_technology_Idea_a7OS_20transition2.jpg

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I don't have any experience with these two sets either unfortunately, but I do have two Adams hybrids (4 and 5 irons) and I love them both. They are the A7 model, and are just awesome. I also know two different people who use the A7OS irons and rave about them constantly. There really is something to the hype!
If it were my set, I would go with the A7OS, because I would her the benefits of a game improvement set of clubs and still have the looks of a more traditional set of clubs. Of course they are not for me so really I have no say in the matter, but I hope my opinion can help in your selection.

🔥 Latest posts