• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adams Review

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Now that I have gotten enough time to really play and practice with the new set up, I figured I would give a rundown of my thoughts on the Adams clubs.

The driver is very solid, feels a little more lively than the J33R I used last season and a whole lot better than the Dymo. I have seen the launch and spin rates come down, about 1.5 degrees and 300 rpm versus the Nike. Launch numbers are very similar to the Bridgestone. I did not see the spike in club head speed that Adams speaks off in their promotional blurbs, but I did go to an 84 gram shaft and cut it to 45 inches rather than the 65 gram 45.5" combo that comes stock. I really like the look at address, a much more traditional look, with no alignment mark on the crown, I hate those marks with a passion (no rational reason why). Not an overly forgiving head, I can tell when it is not hit solidly, both by feel and results.

The 9033F 3 wood is great, as you would expect from a tour only design. Very low spin and penetrating flight. It is a surprisingly big head for a tour 3 wood, especially looking back at some of the other tour only models I have played, the r7 HFS comes to mind right away as a tiny head by comparison. The 9033F has a neutral set up, without the draw bias built into a lot of fairway woods out there. Good off of the deck and the tee.

The hybrid is great, best one I have ever used. So naturally the Pro Black hybrid is coming in for a test run in the next week or so, saw it in person today and it looks like an iron face with a little extra mass on the back. The PNT is a very anti-left head, with enough mass to be good from any lie. I am able to hit it low, which is something I fought with any other hybrid that I have tried.

The Pro Black MB irons are still a little hard for me to get a handle on. They are great looking and I have been hitting them very well, but they definitely feel harder than the forged irons I have hit before. Not sure if it is the black finish or what, but they feel a bit firmer than the orignal Idea Pro irons. I really like the shape and camber of the sole, the club comes out of the turf very smoothly. I get a flatter launch and overall ball flight with the Pro Blacks versus the VR Blades, which I like, has helped improve distance control and shot shaping. The KBS Tour shafts are great, I had used them before, so I knew what I was getting. The finish has held up very well, much better than I anticipated when I first saw them.

All in all, I am pretty happy with the move, I just hope that Adams can avoid turning into Taylor Made with all of the product releases.

P.S. Saw the a7 putters today, not bad for a $70 putter, not enough to boot the Cameron from the bag though. They have a urethane insert and my rep had the 8802 model, nice look at address and decent roll on the ball. I'm playing with him tomorrow, so I will have to roll a few with it on the course.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good overview.

I'm with you on the PNT. Very anti left and because of that, you can really go at it without yanking it. Love that. And the face is large and responsive, ball just jumps off it. And, as you mentioned, you can hit it low into the wind without a balloon.

I haven't hit much other Adams stuff, but I'd like to give their driver a go. And maybe the FW/hybrid thing that have going on, those look sweet too.

R35

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Nice review
Always good to here what a pro or scratch golfer thinks about some of the newer clubs.
My bag is slowly filling up with Adams equipment....I love the RPM proto 3w I snagged from juniortodd and the older I-woods with the correct shaft are just rocket launchers.

Jason

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Hit the Pro Black hybrid today, the thing looks sweet in person. The face is flatter than most hybrids with the toe being deeper than the heel, gives it the look of an iron with more mass on the back. My rep had a 20* head with the Aldila Voodoo NV8 shaft, it will be offered with the Ozik Altus shaft as well, he mentioned that it would be the Black Tie version not the red version that is shown on the website. I hit it twice, both times on par 3's. The first was a 205 yard hole that went uphill, so it plays closer to 220 to the center. I usually hit the 18* hybrid into this hole and have to really catch it to get to a back flag. I hit the Pro Black 20* and ended up about ten feet short of a back right pin. The thing that I noticed first off was that this hybrid hits like an iron, the ball took off at a much flatter angle than with the PNT2, but still got a good amount of height at the apex of it's flight. The ball landed softly and only rolled out about 5 feet. The second par 3 is a 217 yard hole that goes slightly uphill, plays about 225 or so. With the Pro Black I was able to hit a knockdown shot that hit on the front of the green and released about fifteen feet. I wasn't allowed to hit it off of the deck since it was his show demo and he wanted to keep any scratches from it until he gets a few more to show his accounts. I can't wait to put one of these in the bag, not sure if I'm going to go with the 18 or the 20 degree head. They are due to hit stores October 1 with the Aldila shaft, and November for the Ozik version.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
That hybrid is HOT looking.. Thats all I have to say.

I wish Adams would stop with these sleek black clubs.. It makes me want to ho.

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
Forgot about the putter, I only hit it a couple of times and it put a pretty good roll on the ball. The insert felt as soft as the White Hot XG, and the head had a decent weight to it. I hit a few mid range putts, and the a7 performed quite well, with consistent roll off of the face and minimal skidding. I had some issues with the longer range putts, mainly due to the insert versus the non insert putter that I have been using. I prefer a non insert putter, so this was a little tough for me to really get a good read on these, but given some time to get used to the ball coming off the face softer, I think that I could use it.

Got some nice insight from my rep too, when I mentioned the price point, he was very honest in saying that Adams new the limitations that they would have to place on their first real entry into the putter market (don't count the bag set putters or the Dixx Blue). They had a discussion at the top levels and decided that they didn't have a prayer of selling this thing at anything above $75, since Odyssey has the Crimson Series and Ping has the Karsten Series just below $100 and they have a far richer history and name appeal when it comes to putters.

On a side note, the headcover sucks on this thing, he had it fall off on the second fairway and it stayed in the cart basket the rest of the round.

🔥 Latest posts