• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adams Watson Wedge Set

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
I have just picked up Pelz's Short Game Bible. It recommends the use of 4 wedges in your bag. Because this is the part of the game where I know I can improve, I am willing to invest the time to work at his system. He recommends the following wedges:

PW - 50* to 51*
SW - 55* to 56*
LW - 60* - 61*
XW - 64*

I currently own two Cleveland 900 wedges - 54* and 60* - and I don't hit them that well. While looking at wedges online I saw a set of Adams Tom Watson wedges for $100 ( a 52*, 56* and 60*). This seems to fit the Pelz plan OK (the 52* in for the PW). I don't plan to get a 64* wedge yet.

Anyone have these wedges? Are they a decent set of wedges for $100? My thinking is I can get them, work with them and get comfortable with Pelz's short game and then move to better wedges once I feel my short game is worthy of them (who knows - I may decide just to keep them). Does this sound like a good idea?

Any help - as usual - is most appreciated...

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i've had the watson set for a little over a year, payed 80 for them at www.golfdiscount.com right now they have a set of gunmetal ones for a hundred, that might be what you're looking at, i have the normal finish, and they work great, might be a touch smaller than other wedges but they perform really well and are a steal. i would highly recommend them, you might want to get them regripped as some of them are kinda shotty

go for it, you won't regret it, if you do get the gunmetals and don't like them, i might take them off your hands

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Keep the wedges you have.

Practice hitting them, all different types of shots - high, low, skip, lob, punch.

I don't want to sound like a dink, but I don't think it's the wedges... you have some of the best wedges money can buy. Stick with them and add a gap wedge to your arsenal (50*-52* 40 bucks on ebay) and you'll be all set.

PS - you don't need a 64 degree wedge.

My $.02

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
VtDivot said:
Keep the wedges you have.

Practice hitting them, all different types of shots - high, low, skip, lob, punch.

I don't want to sound like a dink, but I don't think it's the wedges... you have some of the best wedges money can buy. Stick with them and add a gap wedge to your arsenal (50*-52* 40 bucks on ebay) and you'll be all set.

PS - you don't need a 64 degree wedge.

This makes a ton of sense and this was my first thought - just to add a 50* wedge. The price seemed awesome on the Adams wedges, so I thought I would get some opinions on them. I also would prefer the black wedges, but that is a minor consideration (I got my RTG's on sale for $60 each so they were a good value).

I have no desire to get a 64* wedge. If I add a 50* wedge, my wedges will look like this:

TaylorMade PW - 46*
Cleveland Gap Wedge - 50*
Cleveland Sand Wedge - 54*
Cleveland Lob Wedge - 60*

This seems to cover the range of wedges very well, so this is a good alternative. You are also correct: the problem is not the wedges, but the golfer... I plan to fix that next...

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
I bought a set of Adams wedges, about a year back and like them, but I've always played with just PW and SW. I wanted to see if adding two other wedges made a difference. My wife has just about convinced me to go back to the PW/SW combination. Maybe I played so long using just those two my control is better with them and I see little benefit to adding two new clubs when I can't consistently control them.

I guess my point is that if what you have is working, why change it? And I agree with VTDivot--a 64* wedge? How often do you need a club to blade the ball across the green?

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
CybrSlicr said:
I have no desire to get a 64* wedge. If I add a 50* wedge, my wedges will look like this:

TaylorMade PW - 46*
Cleveland Gap Wedge - 50*
Cleveland Sand Wedge - 54*
Cleveland Lob Wedge - 60*

This is basically the set-up I'm using. My lofts are a little weaker (47,51,56 and the 60) I think that is all you'll need.

OP
C

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
VtDivot said:
Stick with them and add a gap wedge to your arsenal (50*-52* 40 bucks on ebay)

This seems like the right course of action. Now the problem: the 900 RTG's are no longer available. I would assume I should get a wedge from the same set. I have had little luck with finding a new 50* 900 RTG, and only one was listed on eBay. Any suggestions on a good online or national retailer where I might find a matching wedge? If not, would any of the Cleveland 900 FormForged series wedges (chrome or gunmetal) be suitable alternatives if I can find them?

Thanks for the help.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The Gunmetal series are outstanding. They have great feel and deliver crisp shots.

I'm carrying my Mp-33 PW (47*), a 52* Minzuno RAW, 56* Callaway Vintage and a 60* Cleveland Gunmetal.

I have yet to find myself saying "Geeze, I wish i had a ___ degree wedge for this shot."

I think Pelz is crap, but that's me. He puts alot of stress on the short game, which is correct, but he only pushes his products instead of saying that practice is the true way to understand your swing. Just my opinion, tho.

Keep your wedges, buy that 51* to match the set up and go hit balls until you and the wedges are claiming common-law status. :)

R35

🔥 Latest posts