• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adjustable drivers the real deal???

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
So I finally got to hit the range today, and seeing as I only want to bring one driver down to FL with me next week, I took the i15 and 910 D3 out for a little test drive.

Obviously it's been several months and the swing is not grooved, but from what I could tell the D3 is definitely more forgiving on mishits (which accounted for about 80% of my bucket was today) Since both the i15 and D3 have a black face it was easy to identify my miss - low on the heel. They prob both went fairly straight, slight cut, no real noticable difference in height or distance, although that was pretty hard to gauge.

With about 1/3 of a large bucket left I decide to start playing with the 910 settings. I tried a few with no real notable difference (prob due to my rusty swing)... but when I went to A3 (up 1.5 degrees in both loft and lie) I started hammering the ball dead center of the clubface and hitting beautiful high draws. I prob hit about 20 balls in this setting. I loved it - I got quick a few times and hit some wild hooks, but I could tell I was hitting it pure because the feel was MUCH better.

Overall I was shocked since I typically hit the ball so high, so I never really considered going up in loft. I had eliminated that upper left quadrant of the fitting chart.

It's prob all in my head...

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
What is your setting?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Now that you've figured out what setting you are, and you're hammering it straight, how valuable is the adjustability?

For a fitting, it's brilliant. Beyond that, I don't understand the value if you're properly fitted to what your specific swing needs.

For the record, I rather enjoyed the 910D2 and D3. Both are extremely straight drivers, even in the lowest loft settings for an 8.5* head.

R35

OP
VtDivot

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Now that you've figured out what setting you are, and you're hammering it straight, how valuable is the adjustability?

For a fitting, it's brilliant. Beyond that, I don't understand the value if you're properly fitted to what your specific swing needs.

For the record, I rather enjoyed the 910D2 and D3. Both are extremely straight drivers, even in the lowest loft settings for an 8.5* head.

R35

The adjustability is quite valuable IMO.

Wet soggy fairways - jack up the loft
Hard fast fairwars - bring it down

Right now my swing sucks, but as the season progresses I might find that I want to get back to a fade setting like I am used to etc..

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The adjustability is quite valuable IMO.

Wet soggy fairways - jack up the loft
Hard fast fairwars - bring it down

Right now my swing sucks, but as the season progresses I might find that I want to get back to a fade setting like I am used to etc..

Can't you just tee your ball up higher or lower like golfers have for decades?

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I have mixed feelings on the adjustable drivers, I think they can be valuable to players who want a club that will adjust with their swing changes if they are working on them, but I personally prefer a fixed driver head, hence why I went with the VR Tour glued driver from last season rather than the VR Pro from this season.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.