• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Adjusting hozel

Albert Frye

Apr 22, 2012
I bought a set of Pings from a friend who got them from another friend . . . and so on. . . . .
The hozel lie and loft on the irons has been fiddled with at least 3 times before I got them.
Is there danger of metal fatigue (or even cracking) if I adjust them again to suit me?
By the way, what is the max degree adjustment on the hozel? 2 degrees? 3?
The lie is quite flat now, and I want it very upright.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I suppose there is some chance of metal fatigue in a set of irons that has been bent a few times, although I have never heard of a set breaking because of it. As for the max adjustment, I think its 2-3* but I am not 100%. Pings are a bit different than a run of the mill forging because they are cast. Harder metal, harder to bend=better chance of breaking them if you bend them to much.

Welcome by the way!

OP
A

Albert Frye

Apr 22, 2012
Thank you, BigJim.
Actually, after I posted my question, I took my clubs to a shop to see if they could adjust the lie. The shop owner was unsure about adjusting cast clubs that much, so called a rep at Ping and was told that Ping Eye 2 clubs were Not meant to be adjusted At All! The old style I had was considered too brittle. After hanging up, the shop owner said that we could probably get away with a degree or too, and that the official Ping position of "not being adjustahle at all" was more for warranty and liability reasons. If they were to say, "Sure, go ahead and bend them," and bending them caused some problem or other . . . . they would not like to be put in that position.

Anyway, I'm going to get a brand new set. . . . . . . . Custom fitted, I might add.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I can tell you that cast irons, including the Pings can be bent (usually) up to 3-4* without problem.

But once you do that.....you are done.

Cast irons can be compressed once....but if you try to rebend it back (un-compress) it will break.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I can tell you that cast irons, including the Pings can be bent (usually) up to 3-4* without problem.

But once you do that.....you are done.

Cast irons can be compressed once....but if you try to rebend it back (un-compress) it will break.

Good info to have! I knew there was a limit in how many degrees it should be bent. Makes sense that its only a one time bend also.

🔥 Latest posts