• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice for a beginner choosing next iron set?

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Oh man, this has me laughing pretty hard right now...:laugh:

After all that...:biglol:

Make sure they pay for the shipping back.

(Eracer wipes the tears from his eyes...)

Haha, I know, I'm trying to convince myself that all I can do is laugh too. Now that I've emailed their customer support, I'm completely at a loss with what to do with myself. I've been tracking these things for days on FedEx and now, bam! Nothing. Bummer is right...

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
I just wanted to put it out there that I'm still thinking about crying over this...

:killersmiley:

Or that...

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
A beginner set----An all hybrid something set of irons. Jmax Bazooka, Adams, Cleveland HiBore, Slazenger hybrids. Max game improvement the help frustration then move on as game dictates.

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Maybe they will throw in a box of balls or something to make up for the mistake. Wouldn't surprise me with Callaway. That, or overnight shipping of the correct clubs.

If you don't get an email back by lunch Thursday (Pacific Time - Callaway is in Cali), give them a call.

Smack_Dabb

Jul 31, 2008
I recommend the R7 XD irons. Easy to hit and long.

I also like the Cleveland HiBore irons for beginners but they are not very long.

Friend of mine is average at best. 50ish per 9. He hits the HiBores and loves them.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
BTW --those Hogan CFT edges are GREAT clubs at a great price. Hopefully the right handed set agrees with you. That Apex shaft is made by Royal Precision for the Hogans and is quality. I have a set of CFT along with my Apex plus set. Would NOT consider giving them up..

If you find you want the Apex 4 shafts instead of the 3 shaft let me know. I have two sets I am willing to give up for a song and dance or trade.

Enjoy the Hogan experience.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone. I got in touch with Callaway and they're going to ship me new clubs 2 day ground, even though they only had stiff shaft left in the same model. It's actually a good thing because the ones I got in were a little more flexy than I hoped for anyway and I was already thinking about reshafting. They told me they were going to get them out even before I could get mine to a FedEx center to speed up the process, which I thought was nice. All told, I still have a good impression of Callaway Preowned.

I just hope they come in the same new condition as the first ones. I'm thinking they were so untouched, even though the box had been opened a couple times, because someone else had received left handed clubs and returned them wanting righty too.

Stoney

Aug 3, 2008
New Iron thoughts

I suggest visiting a golf shop where you can hit a variety of different brands of clubs and determine which you like best. That being said, I would encourage you to focus your selection on clubs in the "game improvement" category. Taylormade, Ping, Cobra, Nike, Callaway, Cleveland, and even Mizuno make clubs in this category. Another option for you, if cost is a large concern, is to identify the clubs you like and purchase a used set off eBay (making sure you deal with a reputable seller to avoid counterfeits).

Hopefully, this is helpful.

🔥 Latest posts