• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice for a beginner choosing next iron set?

PINGELI

Sep 7, 2007
One other thing about the graphite shafts. If a club fitter recommends you go with graphite, don't be alarmed. graphite shafts he will get will be light years better than what you have in the Wilson's. I don't mean that as a knock on Wilson in any way (You have the same thing with other value sets). There are plenty of really good graphite shaft manufacturers (aldila, fujikara, ust, grafalloy, graphite design, etc). their shafts are built to much tighter tolerances wand will play more consitently. For a company to put graphite shafts in a set of 3 woods and eight irons and sell them for $300 or so, they have to use lower quality graphite shafts. These shafts are not weight sorted and may be different flexes (even if they all say stiff, extra stiff, etc). They come this way because of manufacturing tolerances (which are much broader to keep costs down).

If you pulled the graphite shafts out of your wilson's and replaced them witha set of graphite iron shafts suited to your swing, the difference would be night and day (even if the head is the same).

Either way, the choice is yours (I would recommend steel). Best of luck in your search.

abledsoe

May 31, 2008
Coming from a re-beginner, I found the Adams Ovation3s to be a great set of inexpensive and forgiving irons. I hit several other sets (all more expensive) and was much more impressed by the Adams. A few months in and I still haven't found anything I dont like about them. Goodluck.

Skjay101

May 1, 2008
My uncle just bought a set of taylormade R7 draws. They are a good deal for 299 on eBay, and they have a wide sole and great steel shafts. I hit a couple shots with them and they felt like a really nice club. Limited workability, but great for a beginner IMO

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Another Adams vote. The A3 driver & FW are solid performers. Stock shaft is an Aldila DVS.

After putting tha Adams driver in my bag, I've hit the ball much better. The other fat old man golfers I play with are calling me a 'big hitter" now, and all have asked to hit my A3.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Wow, thank you for all the responses everyone! I knew when I came across this site it would be the place to ask. I guess it looks like I'm going to have to get out there, get fitted and try some clubs out asap. (Like now!) I'm still pretty interested in Ping, but I'll take a look at them all. (I tried out a friend's Taylormade R7s and didn't really like them.) Also, as far as how much I'm willing to spend goes, I think ~$700 is pushing the top end of it, and $500-600 would be much nicer. My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I already need new clubs... :laugh:

I'm having trouble finding a good golf supply store close by. Closest seems to be Golfer's Warehouse about an hour away. Anyone want to give me a hand locating somewhere from zip code 06258?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
still to much $$$$$!!! hehe.

here's the REAL deal:

HOGAN CFT or if you like,
HOGAN APEX EDGE

Callaway pre-owned..the "like new" is for all purposes, new.

there are only SIX regular steel shaft sets left. a week ago, there was about 30 or so. These are DAM FINE CLUBS

Signed,
HOGAN FAN BOY :faintthud

You have intrigued me... Does anyone else have any input on these clubs? Throwing $140 out there is worth a gamble for me if they're any good.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have absolutely no reservations about endorsing any Hogan clubs.

In plainspeak - YES! The CFT's are a great club. Get the right shaft and you'll be happy.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
I have absolutely no reservations about endorsing any Hogan clubs.

In plainspeak - YES! The CFT's are a great club. Get the right shaft and you'll be happy.

Thanks Eracer. What is the difference between the Apex Edge and the CFT clubs? The AEs seem to be more expensive, at least...

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
They are top irons, forgiving, nice feel and good looks - for that money you can get fit retrospectively and still save a few bucks.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
The CFTs are much more of a gam improvement hack stick: wider sole and more offset, with and bigger cavity back. I had a set and hooked the snot out of them. They were long, though.

The Apex Edge is a moderate cavity back, thinner sole, minimal offset that can barely be called game improvement. I don't recommend these unless you are at least a 15 handicap.

I just ho'ed a set of mint Apex F.T.X. for $165 with regular flex Apex 3 shafts. :D I will probably play my Mizunos the rest of this tournament season, then make the transition to the Hogans (again) after I take them apart, spine align, and fine tune the swingweights.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks Eracer. What is the difference between the Apex Edge and the CFT clubs? The AEs seem to be more expensive, at least...
The Apex Edge is forged, and less forgiving than the CFT. Great irons as well, but designed more for a low to mid handicap player.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
Take a look at the Wilson Staff series. Those are very very good clubs, and price is quite reasonable compared to other brands. Wilson entry level eds to be so so, but the staff series makes clubs which even Mayor winners hold:laugh:. It won't hurt looking at them and you might save a couple of hundreds.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Cool, so I'd be looking at the CFTs then for sure. Now, I know we're putting aside fitting and testing for the sake of paying $140 for these clubs and I can always get grips and shafts changed at a later date, so would you go for the regular or stiff shafts? Is the only answer to go to a fitting place and test my swing speed?

I haven't abandoned buying a new set, but I can probably sell these to a friend for $100 if it doesn't work out, so I don't mind giving it a shot.

Also, does this set come with any hybrid clubs? I'm finding Edge CFT hybrids in my Google search and don't know if they're part of the set or additional matching clubs.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Cool, so I'd be looking at the CFTs then for sure. Now, I know we're putting aside fitting and testing for the sake of paying $140 for these clubs and I can always get grips and shafts changed at a later date, so would you go for the regular or stiff shafts? Is the only answer to go to a fitting place and test my swing speed?

I haven't abandoned buying a new set, but I can probably sell these to a friend for $100 if it doesn't work out, so I don't mind giving it a shot.

Also, does this set come with any hybrid clubs? I'm finding Edge CFT hybrids in my Google search and don't know if they're part of the set or additional matching clubs.
CFT Hybrids are an even better choice. The set includes the 5-iron on down to the wedge, plus the 3 and 4 hybrids, which are good hybrids.

http://callawaygolfpreowned.com/oth...ogan.aspx#hogan-edge-cft-hybrid-iron-set-2004

It's really hard to recommend shaft flex. How far do you hit a 7-iron now? If you can consistently hit it 150 yards or more, then the Apex 4 (stiff) shaft would probably be a good choice. Otherwise, go with the Apex 3.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.