• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice for a beginner choosing next iron set?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Flex is weird thing to me.. esp Irons.

and for begginers such as meself...

for one, often a newbie cannot hit good, straight shots by swinging a full fast swing. so "slowing down" seems to help the game. ie like in little hip turn, 1/2 backswing etc.

for another, even if your good, not every iron shot is a full house swing, correct ? so flex would be moot ?

certainly one aspect of the savings on these clubs is more $$ for lessons.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
CFT Hybrids are an even better choice. The set includes the 5-iron on down to the wedge, plus the 3 and 4 hybrids, which are good hybrids.

It's really hard to recommend shaft flex. How far do you hit a 7-iron now? If you can consistently hit it 150 yards or more, then the Apex 4 (stiff) shaft would probably be a good choice. Otherwise, go with the Apex 3.

That's hard to say. I'm thinking of a particular par 3 at a course I frequently play which is 152 yards, and when I don't screw up I can put a 7 iron pin high off the tee. I want to say that if I wasn't playing the Wilson graphite shafts I would probably be swinging faster and hitting the ball further, even though the graphite is supposed to make up for distance with a slower swing. ;)

Also, the Hybrid CFTs list as 3H,4H,5-E. What's the E? Emergency wedge? Does that equate to a sand wedge? Would a pitching wedge be included in that range? It's lacking a bit of info on what it comes with for me.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Flex is weird thing to me.. esp Irons.

and for begginers such as meself...

for one, often a newbie cannot hit good, straight shots by swinging a full fast swing. so "slowing down" seems to help the game. ie like in little hip turn, 1/2 backswing etc.

for another, even if your good, not every iron shot is a full house swing, correct ? so flex would be moot ?

certainly one aspect of the savings on these clubs is more $$ for lessons.
The thing about flex is that it depends on more than just swingspeed. Did you know that John Daly played a regular-flex shaft in his driver for a while? His swingspeed is through the roof, but he loads the shaft in a way that made R-flex the best choice. Players who tend to hit the ball very high often benefit from getting stiffer shafts, regardless of their swingspeed.

Getting fit is the best option. But buying a cheap set of good irons, then getting fit, is a good option as well. Worst case, you get the clubs reshafted with the ideal shafts and still end up spending less than you had budgeted.

I bought a set of irons a few years back for $150 that had the wrong shafts in them. So I spent an additional $150 to reshaft them, and had irons I really liked. For $300. Not bad.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Ben Hogan called his pitching wedge his Equalizer, hence in the Hogan line the PW is almost always labeled with an E on the bottom.

Of course, when Hogan played, the PW was 50° loft or more. It has now crept from 50° in my 1979 Apex II, to 48° in my 1998 Apex, to 46° in my 2004 Apex F.T.X. The E now means 9iron, and the G or F or 52° on the bottom means PW.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Ben Hogan called his pitching wedge his Equalizer, hence in the Hogan line the PW is almost always labeled with an E on the bottom.

Of course, when Hogan played, the PW was 50° loft or more. It has now crept from 50° in my 1979 Apex II, to 48° in my 1998 Apex, to 46° in my 2004 Apex F.T.X. The E now means 9iron, and the G or F or 52° on the bottom means PW.

Thanks SiberianDVM. So I would also be looking to supplement that set with a PW and SW, around 52° and 56°+...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Most irons sets are sold down to the PW. I'm pretty sure you'll get 3H, 4H, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Most irons sets are sold down to the PW. I'm pretty sure you'll get 3H, 4H, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW.

I know I can probably figure this out on my own, but since you've been such a great help so far, what would you recommend for a utility and/or sand wedge above the PW to go with this set? Clevelands seem popular.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I know I can probably figure this out on my own, but since you've been such a great help so far, what would you recommend for a utility and/or sand wedge above the PW to go with this set? Clevelands seem popular.
I'm the worst person you could ask about that. I have about 30 of the bloody things sitting in my closet, confined to a life of "shoulda been the one.":laugh:

Seriously, wedges are, to me, the most personal clubs. If a wedge doesn't feel right, I'll kick it to the curb in a heartbeat. And the worst thing is, I know how dumb that is.

Having said that, all you really need is a sand wedge. Here's a nice one for a decent price. Global Golf is a top-notch place to do business, and if you PM our member JohnnyHabs, you can probably get a coupon code for an additional discount.

Cleveland CG12 Chrome Wedge Sand Wedge 56 Degree Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
I'm the worst person you could ask about that. I have about 30 of the bloody things sitting in my closet, confined to a life of "shoulda been the one.":laugh:

Seriously, wedges are, to me, the most personal clubs. If a wedge doesn't feel right, I'll kick it to the curb in a heartbeat. And the worst thing is, I know how dumb that is.

Having said that, all you really need is a sand wedge. Here's a nice one for a decent price. Global Golf is a top-notch place to do business, and if you PM our member JohnnyHabs, you can probably get a coupon code for an additional discount.

Cool, I sent a PM over to Johnny. The Black Pearl looks pretty too. :) Do those have any additional wear/finish issues, like an oil can might?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but does a 3 hybrid take the place of a 3 wood? They look like different clubs to me, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable since I was looking at a TaylorMade Burner 3W and they call it a fairway wood, which is when I figure I would use the 3H anyway. I often tee off with a 3W, but would I want to use a 3H instead then?

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
The thing about flex is that it depends on more than just swingspeed. (edited) I bought a set of irons a few years back for $150 that had the wrong shafts in them. So I spent an additional $150 to reshaft them, and had irons I really liked. For $300. Not bad.

thanks for the info.

I add 1-3/3 worth of extension, and 1* more up. club tech guy says the added length already add some uprightness.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
Thanks SiberianDVM. So I would also be looking to supplement that set with a PW and SW, around 52° and 56°+...

The E does sometimes seem "hot" can hit it almost as far as a 9i, very mcuh capable of 100yards.

just for grins, my wedge set =
hogan E, Cleveland cg12 50*(measures 51*), Hogan Sand and Titty Vokey 60* must say, the 60 is fun to hit and watch. (usually)

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country

I have BH CFT 3 and 4 hybrids, they work well, though I dont bag the 4.
the non hybrid $140 set is just regular long irons.

I could not tell much if any difference, between the CFT's (cast) and my Apex Edges (forged). they both feel like Barbara Striesand = butter :)

for sure the $140 set, if you did not like it, could re-sell with little if any loss.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
The E does sometimes seem "hot" can hit it almost as far as a 9i, very mcuh capable of 100yards.

just for grins, my wedge set =
hogan E, Cleveland cg12 50*(measures 51*), Hogan Sand and Titty Vokey 60* must say, the 60 is fun to hit and watch. (usually)

Currently I hit an old MacGregor PW around the greens and only use anything of higher loft when I'm in the sand. I don't even know what I'd do with 60*... :) I must say those short high shots aren't part of my game yet.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Cool, I sent a PM over to Johnny. The Black Pearl looks pretty too. :) Do those have any additional wear/finish issues, like an oil can might?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but does a 3 hybrid take the place of a 3 wood? They look like different clubs to me, but I'm not sure if they're interchangeable since I was looking at a TaylorMade Burner 3W and they call it a fairway wood, which is when I figure I would use the 3H anyway. I often tee off with a 3W, but would I want to use a 3H instead then?
Hybrids are meant to be direct iron replacements. I use my 3H all the time off the tee, when I want a high-percentage shot that goes 200 yards. Hybrids have a compact head, and are much more versatile than either the irons or FW. I carry a 4-wood (no 3-wood) and my 3-hybrid fits right in the slot between the 4-wood and the 4-hybrid. Better players sometimes choose to keep the long irons instead of the hybrids. That ain't me!

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Well, I did it. I ordered the Hogan Hybrid/Iron CFT set. I really don't think I'm ready to be hitting a regular 3 and 4 iron, so the hybrids were appealing, and the price wasn't bad. I know they'll be a heck of a lot better than my Wilsons and I should be able to get at least 3 years out of them. Thanks again!

🔥 Latest posts