• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Advice for a beginner choosing next iron set?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well, I did it. I ordered the Hogan Hybrid/Iron CFT set. I really don't think I'm ready to be hitting a regular 3 and 4 iron, so the hybrids were appealing, and the price wasn't bad. I know they'll be a heck of a lot better than my Wilsons and I should be able to get at least 3 years out of them. Thanks again!
Good job. What shafts?

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Good job. What shafts?

I went for the regular flex steel shafts, Apex 3 I believe. I figured if I don't like the shaft I end up with, it would be easier to play down to regular flex than play up to stiff flex until I get them re-shafted. :thumbs up:

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Grats!

Most people don't swing nearly as hard on an iron than they do with a driver anyway.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
I went for the regular flex steel shafts, Apex 3 I believe. I figured if I don't like the shaft I end up with, it would be easier to play down to regular flex than play up to stiff flex until I get them re-shafted. :thumbs up:

AWESOME :thumbs up:

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Well, I did it. I ordered the Hogan Hybrid/Iron CFT set. I really don't think I'm ready to be hitting a regular 3 and 4 iron, so the hybrids were appealing, and the price wasn't bad. I know they'll be a heck of a lot better than my Wilsons and I should be able to get at least 3 years out of them. Thanks again!

Please take some photos and post them when you receive the clubs. I'm always hearing how C.P.O. condition is better than listed, and I'd be interested to see.

Thanks, and congrats.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
Please take some photos and post them when you receive the clubs. I'm always hearing how C.P.O. condition is better than listed, and I'd be interested to see.

Thanks, and congrats.

Definitely, and I'll post a review too as Eracer mentioned. The one thing I didn't like about making this purchase was the lack of pictures on the internet. They were all the same two or three small stock ones, and mostly just of the hybrids.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Definitely, and I'll post a review too as Eracer mentioned. The one thing I didn't like about making this purchase was the lack of pictures on the internet. They were all the same two or three small stock ones, and mostly just of the hybrids.
What condition did they quote you? If it was very good, you should expect good things. I've heard that Callaway Pre-Owned is very accurate with their ratings.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
What condition did they quote you? If it was very good, you should expect good things. I've heard that Callaway Pre-Owned is very accurate with their ratings.

All of the Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid/Iron Sets on the Callaway Preowned site are listed as "like new," so I'm expecting good things. $249 shipped, and from what I could discern from the Hogan website, this a 2002 model. I'm guessing maybe it's old stock they're trying to clear out? The original list price is ~$649 I think, and Golfsmith is still selling them for $399 used, so I'm hoping I snagged a good deal!

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
That's an excellent choice and a great price. You will still be able to play those irons in 20 years. I reccommend geting some iron covers right away to preserve their chrome plated beauty.

The faces on the irons are titanium. :) CFT = compressed face titanium.

I updated my siggy this morning to show what I bagged this week. My 4th set of Hogans.

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
That's an excellent choice and a great price. You will still be able to play those irons in 20 years. I reccommend geting some iron covers right away to preserve their chrome plated beauty.

The faces on the irons are titanium. :) CFT = compressed face titanium.

I updated my siggy this morning to show what I bagged this week. My 4th set of Hogans.

Ok then, while I have everyone's attention, what do you use for iron covers? :)

OP
bluebledthesea

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
UGH! Are you kidding me? My clubs finally arrived today after nearly a week of anticipation. I eagerly unwrapped them and I'll say this for Callaway Preowned, "Like New" meant absolutely brand spanking new, like club heads still wrapped in plastic and immaculate. BUT, when I pulled out the 9 iron to get a feel for it in my kitchen it took my brain about 10 seconds to figure out why they felt weird. THEY WERE LEFT HANDED. I ordered right handed clubs, and both the box and the packing slip said RH on them. That means right handed, right? Right? *SIGH*

Not upset with you guys for your recommendation in the least. Callaway just screwed up. The clubs are really beautiful and feel great and I can't wait to get the right ones in. I even briefly entertained the idea of possibly becoming a lefty. Guess I won't run out for a quick 9 before it gets dark tonight after all...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
UGH! Are you kidding me? My clubs finally arrived today after nearly a week of anticipation. I eagerly unwrapped them and I'll say this for Callaway Preowned, "Like New" meant absolutely brand spanking new, like club heads still wrapped in plastic and immaculate. BUT, when I pulled out the 9 iron to get a feel for it in my kitchen it took my brain about 10 seconds to figure out why they felt weird. THEY WERE LEFT HANDED. I ordered right handed clubs, and both the box and the packing slip said RH on them. That means right handed, right? Right? *SIGH*

Not upset with you guys for your recommendation in the least. Callaway just screwed up. The clubs are really beautiful and feel great and I can't wait to get the right ones in. I even briefly entertained the idea of possibly becoming a lefty. Guess I won't run out for a quick 9 before it gets dark tonight after all...
Oh man, this has me laughing pretty hard right now...:laugh:

After all that...:biglol:

Make sure they pay for the shipping back.

(Eracer wipes the tears from his eyes...)

🔥 Latest posts